JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
I live in Japan! - 11-26-2006, 02:28 PM

Just thought I`d volunteer any info that anyone needs...

I live in Japan, not in Tokyo, and have lived here for almost 9 years now. I basically came to Japan with nothing (On my own, not part of any program, not as a teacher, with almost no money, etc) when I was 17, and have been here pretty much ever since.

I`m now married, and *own* a home. I`m willing to answer pretty much any questions about real life in Japan - not the English teacher in Tokyo type stuff... Because that`s only like 0.1% of reality. (Not to offend any of the English teachers in Tokyo or anything though.)

We usually try and help other people who are/were in the same boat as I was when I came to Japan (Bad family life, etc), but last year a girl we let stay with us really screwed us over so we have stopped for the time being. But I really want to help people, so if I can in any way please ask!

(Oh, and I think I mentioned a lot more stuff in my intro in the introductions thread, so...)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Vesperd (Offline)
Sit back and Chill.. :]

11-26-2006, 07:02 PM

Hello Nyrorin, im interested in hearing your life story.. how you got into Japan, it would help so i could decide the many options and routes there is, so i can live there oneday.. so first question.. how did you get there

2006 - Japanforum, remember it.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

11-26-2006, 11:08 PM

Well, as far as a life story goes... My mom was a total piece of crap - selfish and certainly didn`t care about me. She was one of those women who dates a bunch of guys, milks them for everything they`re worth, and then dumps them. She was NEVER at home, and wouldn`t *let* me go to school as she "wanted to go out that day" and needed me to watch my brother and sister. It was an almost everyday event. Life really REALLY sucked.

I took a short summer Japanese course at a local university (with money from my grandparents, while secretly staying in a friend`s dorm room for the length of the course - my mother would NEVER have paid for anything for me.) when I was 15 and I found it really easy. I also got along really well with the teachers and exchange students who would volunteer for the class. I`m a fairly shy and polite person, so I guess I just "fit in". That pretty much started my dream to go to Japan - It seemed like somewhere that I could be me and find happiness.

When I was 16 I graduated from high school (I took HS classes from 6th grade and did summer school in HS for two years) - and got a job. I explained the home situation to my boss and they would give me a second fake pay slip each month so that my mother would only be able to demand all of that money. (Like half?) I secretly saved the rest.

I had originally planned to stay with a friend in Osaka, but his mother became seriously ill and we had to cancel it... Another friend I had made online offered to ask their mother (In Aichi) if she would be willing to put someone up for a few months - she agreed and I jumped on the chance. I turned in the life insurance policy on me, combined the money with what I`d saved, and bought a ticket just before I turned 17. At the time it was like $1800... I saved up all the money I made in the 3 months before I left, and had around $600. $500 to pay for room and board, and $100 to spend. That was it. I stayed in Japan for 3 months the first time, went home for a few months and repeated (Although the second time I stayed with friends I made the first trip...) and, well, before I knew it, here I am. :P

I`ve been pretty broad with the descriptions, so if there are any details you want to know ask away.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Okimoto_Tatsuki (Offline)
.KUBOnoSHUGAitami

11-26-2006, 11:43 PM

oooh I wanna go back to japan. I had to leave Okinawa at young age because of some similar problem, and come to England...im 16 now XD

That is an interesting life story you have. and to pull it off at 17?

Do you mind me asking,

+how much japanese do you know? (fluent in speaking writing or just a lil?)
+do you use english most/less of the time?
+did you need to get citizenship for staying 3 months or for good?
+English teacher jobs suck in my opinion XD

+how is you life now? ^^

Last edited by Okimoto_Tatsuki : 11-26-2006 at 11:56 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Maester (Offline)
Back in town Snitches!

11-26-2006, 11:57 PM

Grtz for you, hope you having a good life there now...

May i follow in your footsteps.
*looking up 2 you*

Can you imagine what i could do, if i would do all i can. - Sun Tzu

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

11-27-2006, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okimoto_Tatsuki View Post
oooh I wanna go back to japan. I had to leave Okinawa at young age because of some similar problem, and come to England...im 16 now XD

That is an interesting life story you have. and to pull it off at 17?

Do you mind me asking,

+how much japanese do you know? (fluent in speaking writing or just a lil?)
+do you use english most/less of the time?
+did you need to get citizenship for staying 3 months or for good?
+English teacher jobs suck in my opinion XD

+how is you life now? ^^

To answer your questions:

- I am totally fluent, although my handwriting skills could use a little polishing. --; I`m good enough that no one can tell over the phone or intercom.
- I never use English, unless I am online or talking with someone else whose first language is English/can speak better English than Japanese... Which is around once every 3 months. Our home life is 100% in Japanese.
- Japanese citizenship is not an easy thing to get, I`m still in the paperwork stage. If you`re from one of the participating countries, you don`t even need a visa for a 3 month stay.
- I am not and have absolutely no plans to become an English teacher. (Although I did work part time as one for a bit to save money for our move. NEVER AGAIN!!!) If you actually want to learn Japanese and have a life... Do not, I repeat, DO NOT be an English teacher in Japan. You will be speaking simple English 99% of the day, and end up hanging out with other teachers all the time - you`d do better to stay at home and study alone. Plus it seems like most of the people who do come to Japan to be teachers hate Japan and just want to make a bunch of money to take home. Seriously, they all seem to bash Japan left and right.

- My life now is quite wonderful. We own a home with a YARD (A big thing in Japan), have lots of cool stuff, and I`m really truly happy.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
GitarisutoKao (Offline)
Shou Sama

Send a message via AIM to GitarisutoKao Send a message via MSN to GitarisutoKao
11-27-2006, 12:23 AM

yyayy!!I am totally going to japan one day,but my parents hate japan and my fascination with it...they would have totally disowned me if i wasnt only 14...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Maester (Offline)
Back in town Snitches!

11-27-2006, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitarisutoKao View Post
yyayy!!I am totally going to japan one day,but my parents hate japan and my fascination with it...they would have totally disowned me if i wasnt only 14...
Come live with me !!!!

- last post for today -

Can you imagine what i could do, if i would do all i can. - Sun Tzu

(#9 (permalink))
Old
GitarisutoKao (Offline)
Shou Sama

Send a message via AIM to GitarisutoKao Send a message via MSN to GitarisutoKao
11-27-2006, 12:25 AM

I shall!!Thank you David-kun!!LUV YA!!!!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Harajuku_Pimp (Offline)
Banned Justice!

11-27-2006, 01:00 AM

hm. interesting.