JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Vesperd (Offline)
Sit back and Chill.. :]

11-27-2006, 04:37 PM

thats cool, you say you bought a ticket to Japan, what type of Visa did you apply for? how was you allowed to stay that long.. thanks in advance

2006 - Japanforum, remember it.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-27-2006, 11:02 PM

My first stay was only 3 months, I came to Japan from the US so I didn`t need to apply for a visa. There is a visa exemption policy between the US and Japan - up to 90 days and you receive an automatic tourist visa upon entry to the country.
What I did was stay here 3 months, then go back to the US for 3 months work really hard and save up enough to come back again... for 3 months. I did the same thing twice again after that 3 months - The next time I borrowed some money from friends and instead of going back to the US I took a 3 day long trip to Korea and then came back to Japan. If you leave the country at all they refresh your visa, so I was able to stay 6 months that time, during which I met my future husband-to-be. I went home to the US again after the 6 months, and my boyfriend came and visited me after a couple months (I was in the US again for 3 months working through the summer - he stayed with me for the last 3 weeks of it), and we came back again together. We decided to get married, so when my visa ran out that time I went home for Christmas, broke the news to everyone. I came back to Japan after the holidays (he paid) and we got married in the end of January. I got a spousal visa, and no longer had to worry about the going home mess and was able to legally work in Japan. So... I`ve only been home a couple short visits since then. (6 years ago)

Phew.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Okimoto_Tatsuki (Offline)
.KUBOnoSHUGAitami

11-28-2006, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`m happy to talk online with anyone who wants...
The girl who screwed us over seemed really serious... before she got here and for the first week or so. After that she seemed to think that by sitting around in her room, playing video games, and randomly flipping through our manga that she would somehow magically become fluent. I guess she believed Japan was some magical paradise where you never had to put forth any sort of effort to accomplish anything. When I forced her to go out and attend some free Japanese classes, she freaked out and started blaming me for ruining her trip to Japan and destroying her dream, etc etc.

It really sucked. Yes, real life does continue even when you`re in a different country.

And I guess I forgot to mention, I`m female. :P
wow that sucks. One should understand life is not layed out on a yellow brick road, that gives you an easy path to where you wish to be or want to have. and cool female XD

Is there any like technique as to learning japanese? Anything in particular you need to learn first? (this was a questionfrom my friend)
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

11-28-2006, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okimoto_Tatsuki View Post
wow that sucks. One should understand life is not layed out on a yellow brick road, that gives you an easy path to where you wish to be or want to have. and cool female XD

Is there any like technique as to learning japanese? Anything in particular you need to learn first? (this was a questionfrom my friend)
To answer your questions -

I never really studied. When I first got here, I could tell people the very basics - my name, whether I was hungry or thirsty, ask where the toilet was, etc. And I knew the simplest sentence patterns so that I could pull words from a dictionary and stick them in to be understood.
As for any technique... I just tried my very best to communicate with those around me, especially the woman I was staying with. She was wonderful, and is like my Japanese mother now. I also tried my very best to understand what everyone was saying through the words I knew and their body language.

The things that I would suggest learning first would be the basic grammar patterns, without much focus on vocabulary. It`s MUCH easier to add words later via personal experience than it is to add grammar. You can always point at something and have somebody tell you what it`s called, or look it up in the dictionary, but you can`t do that for a whole sentence. No matter how many words you know in Japanese, if you don`t know how to put them together to make a coherent sentence no one will have a clue what you`re trying to say.

So... Study grammar! Forget most of the vocabulary until you know enough basic sentence types and are confident enough with them to really be able to *use* those words.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
GitarisutoKao (Offline)
Shou Sama

Send a message via AIM to GitarisutoKao Send a message via MSN to GitarisutoKao
Post 11-29-2006, 01:15 AM

wow...im kinda in the same position,my parents hate japan...and never seem to let me do anything...
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

11-29-2006, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitarisutoKao View Post
wow...im kinda in the same position,my parents hate japan...and never seem to let me do anything...
No, that sounds like your parents care about you. Not letting you do something is basically because they`re worried about what will happen to you (whether they NEED to worry is a totally different matter though)

My mother really honestly did not care. I could have stayed out all night, every night, and she wouldn`t have even noticed as long as I was there to watch my brother and sister when she wanted to go out "partying". The things she wouldn`t let me do? - GO TO SCHOOL. How many parents stop their children from attending school because they were up all night partying and don`t want to take care of their other kids the next day?
She would eat out and bring her leftovers home to eat in front of us, while never buying groceries for *us* to eat, and then blow up at me for not magically producing enough food to feed my siblings from the 2 or 3 things left in the cabinets. No, wait, not my sister - my brother. The one who was the son of the guy we were living with - his opinion mattered more than whether we starved or not.

If you`re *really* in a similar situation, then I apologize, but I highly doubt it.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Vesperd (Offline)

11-29-2006, 04:24 PM

thanks for the reply Nyororin, are there any shortcuts to live in Japan? permantly not moving back and forth, is there any other way?

(#28 (permalink))
Old
SamuraiAlchemistNinja (Offline)
Tired Philosopher...

Send a message via Yahoo to SamuraiAlchemistNinja
Smile tell me everything! - 11-29-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitarisutoKao View Post
yyayy!!I am totally going to japan one day,but my parents hate japan and my fascination with it...they would have totally disowned me if i wasnt only 14...
My parents are the same way, except I'm 16 and I am going to Japan whether they like it or not, I'm sick of their arguing over me and my brothers and everything...*sigh*
The more I plan my trip to Japan, the more inclined I am to stay there permanently.
>>and my mother stopped me from going to school for almost an entire week b/c I had made her upset somehow...and yet, I felt guilty...why do mothers have that affect? (on me, anyway...always making blame myself!)
Believe me when I say I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I AM ON A PLANE (yikes!) ON MY WAY TO JAPAN!! Me waving goodbye--> so long, suckers!

I'm pretty content with life right now....For the most part, anyway....Well, at least, I'm pretty sure I am....
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Vesperd (Offline)

11-29-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiAlchemistNinja View Post
My parents are the same way, except I'm 16 and I am going to Japan whether they like it or not, I'm sick of their arguing over me and my brothers and everything...*sigh*
The more I plan my trip to Japan, the more inclined I am to stay there permanently.
>>and my mother stopped me from going to school for almost an entire week b/c I had made her upset somehow...and yet, I felt guilty...why do mothers have that affect? (on me, anyway...always making blame myself!)
Believe me when I say I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I AM ON A PLANE (yikes!) ON MY WAY TO JAPAN!! Me waving goodbye--> so long, suckers!
you sound excited, yeah Japan is an awesome country, being there the first time would make you wanna jump up and down or kiss the floor etc

(#30 (permalink))
Old
MasterHien (Offline)
I have faith..

Send a message via MSN to MasterHien
11-29-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiAlchemistNinja View Post
i guess everyone wanna go japan
but the way you wrote it down doesnt it sound like your mother is worried about you instead