JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old
joycemmjackson (Offline)
New to JF

Smile how much it cost to delivery 500g parcel inside Japan? - 07-08-2009, 08:10 AM

I can not find the answer , I am eager to kown that ,can you help me ,pls?Thank you very much! delivery price for 500grams parcel.
Old
blo55om (Offline)
New to JF

nice - 07-08-2009, 11:18 AM

to nyororin
your story inspired me a lot.
I wonder & would to know about getting jobs in japan (not teaching jobs)
actually I'm not from USA like you but from Asia that visa process its so difficult, for tourist visa if we're lucky then we've got 3 month but if we're not only have 1 month only.
I've already tried 2 years a go, applied for visa and only get 1 month to japan.
me and 1 of my best friend would like to go to japan hope you could give us some information or the others who read this post.

I learn japan in my country now hope it would be helpful for me

arigatou

blo55om
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
07-08-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blo55om View Post
to nyororin
your story inspired me a lot.
I wonder & would to know about getting jobs in japan (not teaching jobs)
actually I'm not from USA like you but from Asia that visa process its so difficult, for tourist visa if we're lucky then we've got 3 month but if we're not only have 1 month only.
I've already tried 2 years a go, applied for visa and only get 1 month to japan.
me and 1 of my best friend would like to go to japan hope you could give us some information or the others who read this post.

I learn japan in my country now hope it would be helpful for me

arigatou

blo55om
what kind of jobs are you preferring to do?
if you have no problems in japanese language communication, then I guess you can work anywhere in Japan.. but, for the visa problem.. sadly to say that I have no experience about this..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2009, 06:22 PM

Hey guys, I'm confused... What's the difference between prefectures, wards, and cities?

Will a city be under a ward or a prefecture or something? Or is it a ward is under a prefecture? I'm confused. x_x

LOVE: pass it on
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-10-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
Hey guys, I'm confused... What's the difference between prefectures, wards, and cities?

Will a city be under a ward or a prefecture or something? Or is it a ward is under a prefecture? I'm confused. x_x
Prefecture is like a state. Then city. Large cities are divided into wards...there are 23 wards in Tokyo.
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Prefecture is like a state. Then city. Large cities are divided into wards...there are 23 wards in Tokyo.
Ooooh, okay. So then every city should have a prefecture, right? But when I tried to look up the prefecture for Uji-shi, Kyoto, I just couldn't find it. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough...

Thanks!

Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-10-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
Ooooh, okay. So then every city should have a prefecture, right? But when I tried to look up the prefecture for Uji-shi, Kyoto, I just couldn't find it. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough...

Thanks!
Kyoto (and Osaka) are special. It is Kyoto-fu (not ken) so it is Uji City in Kyoto-fu.
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-11-2009, 12:01 AM

Kyoto-fu could be called Kyoto prefecture in English- it just has a different name in Japanese, -fu rather than -ken. Tokyo is Tokyo-to rather than Tokyo-ken, but you could still say Tokyo prefecture in this case as well.

Have a look at a good map of Japan and you will see how it is divided into prefectures.
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-11-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
Kyoto-fu could be called Kyoto prefecture in English- it just has a different name in Japanese, -fu rather than -ken. Tokyo is Tokyo-to rather than Tokyo-ken, but you could still say Tokyo prefecture in this case as well.

Have a look at a good map of Japan and you will see how it is divided into prefectures.
Oh, I stared at a map for hours. That's what confused me in the first part - trying to figure out why there were wards in some areas, prefectures in others... But thanks!

Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

07-11-2009, 01:33 AM

There are 47 prefectures in Japan but what some people aren't aware of is the fact that there are 4 names for the "prefecture".

(と) = Tokyo

(どう) = Hokkaido

(ふ) = Osaka and Kyoto

(けん) = Remaining 43

There are only 18 cities in which they can have wards (区 = ku). In other words, the vast majority of Japanese cities don't have wards in them.