JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old
nick149 (Offline)
New to JF

10-08-2009, 10:17 AM

thnx a lot i already searched gaijin pot and Jobs in Japan - Find great jobs in Japan at [Find jobs in Japan] anyway thnx again for the reply and if come across with something send me an e-mail if u can my e-mail is [email protected]
Old
zeox (Offline)
New to JF

10-09-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I guess you could stay at a hostel with a tourist visa or something like that. I don't think those are as expensive as hotels.Probably would be best to just make friends beforehand since, to me, 2 - 3 months isn't much time at all. You could probably make some online. Lang-8 - Multi-lingual language learning and language exchange might be helpful. You can find people to speak with for practicing different languages. Maybe one of the people you come across might become friends with you. I've made a couple of friends through mixi (a Japanese blogging site, sorta), but I've always been weary about meeting people online unless I've been talking to them for a long time, so I can guarantee that I wouldn't be meeting anyone from that anytime soon, even if I was going to Japan tomorrow. lol
I guess you mean "where in Japan, right? Either way, I don't have enough knowledge to answer this (aside from a rural area), but I will say this. To really "get the language" better, I feel that one would need to stay longer than just two or three months. I feel you would need way more than that. Maybe a year or two at a minimum.
thanks for the answers!
as for the length of my stay, it's purely a economic thing. I am not made of money, so I can't really afford to stay longer than 2-3 months. plus, tourist visas last 3 months anyway. (and sure, I could fly in and out of the country to renew the visa, but I don't have the money for that at all.)
Old
Cheesemaster64 (Offline)
New to JF

Advice - 10-12-2009, 02:06 AM

Dear Nyororin,

While I did not have time to read all 100 pages of this post, I did see how you achieved so much. This is why I would value your input on the following:

My situation is, I have been to Japan 3 times now and have had many experiences, and something inside calls me back every time. On the most recent time I was there, I met the love of my life. Long story short, if I want to continue our relationship, which I very much do, I have to live in Japan, for some time.

My Japanese is more advanced than the JLPT 2 level but not at JLPT 1 yet. My plan is to enter a language school (again) in order to get a visa so I can work, and more importantly live with my lover.

It has always been my dream to go to school in Japan, that is a 4-year college. When I was in language I practiced taking the EJU. The Japanese section is hard, but not impossible. The part that gets me is the math, and of course history, etc.

If I read correctly, you said you entered Japanese university. Did you have to take the EJU?

If so, could you recommend a method of study for math, etc?

Anything you could tell me about the EJU or anything would be deeply appreciated. My girlfriend has more faith in me than I do; I just don't want to let her down.

Also, when I was in Japan this last time, I lived in a guest house that contained most English speakers. Do you know of any places similar to this where Japanese is the language of choice? I know total immersion is what I need.

Thank you so much!

And sorry for rambling!
Old
Micki (Offline)
New to JF

Cool 11-10-2009, 03:26 AM

Hi . Been visiting the forums for a while and just now I decided to create an account.

Ok so I'm 16 and live in the Dominican Republic. I want to go to Japan. From what I've gathered college is very important for a job in Japan. Thing is I don't want to go back to the U.S to do college unless absolutely necessary. I want to do Software engineering.
So my question. There is this institute here (in D.R) ITLA (Instituto tecnologico de las americas) and it talks about some "icarnegie" certifacate after you graduate. Anyone know what that is and is it good (presentable/renowned)? 2 years or 2 and half to graduate in this institute I think.

So if this institute's certificate is good, and I learn some Japanese (I will know 3 languages if I do, spanish english and japanese), then I will have pretty good chances of landing a job yes? So that still leaves the most important. Looking for a place to stay. Any recommendations will be apreciated .
I've heard mention a sakura house or something. Can anyone tell me about these?

iCarnegie: Curriculum Powered by Carnegie Mellon There is a link to the iCarnegie
ITLA - Centro de Certificaci If you can read spanish, there is the institute's page. (the certification section)

So can anyone help?

Last edited by Micki : 11-10-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old
niuniu (Offline)
New to JF

WOW!! admire you! - 11-23-2009, 07:23 PM

you were so brave at such a young age!
If you do not mind, could you let me know where you were from and which city you are in now?
I am going to Hiroshima to study very soon so I hope to make some friends there.
Hope that everything is well!
LJ
Old
Thuglife (Offline)
JF Regular

11-28-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki View Post
I've heard mention a sakura house or something. Can anyone tell me about these?

So can anyone help?
They call them "Leo Palaces" around this area. If I understood your question right.
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-28-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuglife View Post
They call them "Leo Palaces" around this area. If I understood your question right.
Leopalace is a short term rental used mainly by Japanese students and single businessmen. Sakura House is a communal living home used almost entirely (if not complete 100%) by foreigners in Japan. They`re a bit different.

I can`t offer any advice on Sakura as I only know them by name and have never actually been to, let alone lived in one.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
Old
buggedout (Offline)
New to JF

12-04-2009, 09:41 AM

Nyororin Im pretty new to the forum and i read your story it sounds allot like mine parents didn't really care not through nastyness i just think they didn't know how to raise a child you know my mom had me when she was 18 so I dont really hold anything against them anymore but i did when i was younger im 23 now I left home when i was 15 and drifted around took some japanese classes when i was in collage and from there I knew it was where I wanted to be the history the people it fascinated me and Iv never lost that fasination Iv moved round england allot with trying to get away from my childhood but never really making it far enough away i geuss japan is my ultimate escape I have no dillusions of it been easy or it been a perfect society and everything been peachy when I get there and I dont expect it to just happen for me which is why Iv put myself through collage and university im in my final year now so when im finished i have no ties keeping me hear and a degree so Im going to do it I first came on this forum looking for people who could give me a hand let me know what i needed to do but after my first post got a little bit ripped down by a few people who seemed to think it was ok to just tell me my dreams where basically stupid because i am dislexic i didn't really have a chance I was not going to come back on I gave it one more chance in the hope that I maybe some one would give me some advice and some stories about how they got there and i found your thread so thank you its nice to hear some one was in the same boat as me and succesfully made there dreams come true and is happy its made me feel allot better about my dreams now
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-04-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedout View Post
Nyororin Im pretty new to the forum and i read your story it sounds allot like mine parents didn't really care not through nastyness i just think they didn't know how to raise a child you know my mom had me when she was 18 so I dont really hold anything against them anymore but i did when i was younger im 23 now I left home when i was 15 and drifted around took some japanese classes when i was in collage and from there I knew it was where I wanted to be the history the people it fascinated me and Iv never lost that fasination Iv moved round england allot with trying to get away from my childhood but never really making it far enough away i geuss japan is my ultimate escape I have no dillusions of it been easy or it been a perfect society and everything been peachy when I get there and I dont expect it to just happen for me which is why Iv put myself through collage and university im in my final year now so when im finished i have no ties keeping me hear and a degree so Im going to do it I first came on this forum looking for people who could give me a hand let me know what i needed to do but after my first post got a little bit ripped down by a few people who seemed to think it was ok to just tell me my dreams where basically stupid because i am dislexic i didn't really have a chance I was not going to come back on I gave it one more chance in the hope that I maybe some one would give me some advice and some stories about how they got there and i found your thread so thank you its nice to hear some one was in the same boat as me and succesfully made there dreams come true and is happy its made me feel allot better about my dreams now
You need to use punctuation and paragraphs.
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
12-04-2009, 07:49 PM

Hello everyone. Since the end of October, I've been in New York working on obtaining my CELTA from the University of Cambridge through St. John's University. Unfortunately, I had to quit earlier this week when I had about three weeks left and had to return to Virginia this past Tuesday. My feelings on having to quit are mixed due to the circumstances that led up to it.

My second week in New York, I started to develop breathing problems and started having shortness of breath. It was gradually getting worse as the days went on and I figured it was because of the family I was staying with. They were heavy smokers and I didn't smoke and didn't grow up around it. My first week, I had no problems what-so-ever. Last Monday, I was so messed up and couldn't catch my breath and had to go to the ER. I went in November 23 and didn't get out until December 1, as I, apparently, had a pulmonary embolism (blood clot) and could've died if I'd waited any longer to see someone about it. I had multiple blood clots in the lungs. That doesn't sound good, right?

I hate the fact I had to quit because of that, even though the school was understandable and said they would try to help me if I wanted to try it again since the circumstance was unavoidable. Now, as you know, I really would like to "live" in Japan someday, even if it's for only a year or two and have always been interested in teaching. When applying for work in Japan, is it common for them to check medical records extensively? I personally hate the fact that the PE thing would be on there now. If an employer saw that, wouldn't he/she think, "Oh my god...that person is definitely a liability." I'm also a diabetic. Would that look bad too? It's worse enough that I feel that I'm overlooked here for that reason, but would hate for it to apply to overseas stuff too.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 12-04-2009 at 07:53 PM.