JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Dargon788 (Offline)
New to JF

Post Teaching in Japan - 02-08-2016, 05:56 AM

Hi guys, I wanted to know if there was anyone here who teaches English in Japan. For a long time now i have always wanted to be a teacher and i thought teaching in another country would be exciting, I love Japan and I have always dreamed of living there so I read that there are always looking for native speaking English teachers. I am looking for some advice on how i can take that first step on my dream.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-15-2016, 04:13 AM

Teaching in Japan can be a lot of fun. I came here originally as a teacher, and eventually went into business for myself. Teaching is all fun for a little while, but as a long-term career, I would not recommend it.

The demand for English teachers in Japan is still strong, and finding a job is as easy as falling down. But there is a basic requirement, and that is a 4 year university degree.

If you have a degree, you can apply to one of the larger schools, like Nova or Aeon from your home country. You will hear horror stories about any English school, these in particular. But these schools will arrange everything necessary, and offer competitive pay.

You can also get a job as an ALT, or assistant language teacher in a junior high school or high school. The pay would be the same as at one of the large chain English schools, but you can work Monday through Friday. At the chain schools, you will always work at least one day on the weekends, with Nova, you will probably get split days off, and work on weekends.

I recommend that you try to get a job in the countryside if at all possible, and avoid the metro areas. I recommend this for two reasons. First, the cost of living is lower in the countryside, and you salary as an English teacher will allow you to live quite comfortably. In the city, your salary will barely make ends meet. Second, the people in the countryside are more friendly, and you can enjoy the culture much more. The fresh air is also nice.

To get started, apply online to one of the various schools or ALT agencies. You may or may not have to attend an in-person interview, but you will be interviewed by telephone. Be prepared to fax in a copy of your university degree. Should all things work out, you will be offered a position, and you will be supplied with a visa application. Fill everything out, mail it back in. You can pick up your visa at the nearest Japanese consulate. You will then either receive a plane ticket, or you may have to buy one yourself. When you arrive in Japan, you will get a stamp in your passport for the period of your stay, most likely one year.

Get ready for a little culture shock, it lasts a couple weeks. Then get ready for the honeymoon period, where you will love living in Japan, this lasts a year or so. Once the honeymoon period is over, you will either settle down in Japan, or think about returning to your home country. I recommend the latter, unless you plan to do something better than teaching.

Good luck!