JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   Possibility of Bringing My Parent to Japan w/ Me? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/777223-possibility-bringing-my-parent-japan-w-me.html)

NightStrike 05-06-2016 06:04 PM

Possibility of Bringing My Parent to Japan w/ Me?

Good day everyone!

I'm in the beginning stages of starting a business in Japan with a Japanese resident. Uncommonly, my "baggage" consists of more than just clothes. :rolleyes:
Essentially, my deal killer for this business opportunity is whether I can find a way to bring my father to Japan with me, to stay for the long term. He is currently beyond the legal working age of 65, as I understand it to be.

I tried contacting the local Japanese Consulate yesterday but they seemed very unaware of specifics for accomplishing this goal. They suggested that it may or may not depend on my own visa and/or that it may depend on whether the business potentially sponsors him. Emphasis necessary on the use of "may" and I'm not certain that a business can sponsor someone who can't legally work.

Is there any method anyone knows of whereby he could be granted a long term resident visa by being my dependent?

I appreciate any advice you can provide. My friend in Japan hasn't been able to find many answers where he's located and in my research attempts on the Internet, all I've found is either concerned with parents of young children moving together or older children bidding farewell to their older parents as they without them.

Sangetsu 05-09-2016 12:28 PM

The consulate you talked to was incorrect. You can bring your father so long as you are a registered employee at your company, and earn a salary sufficient to support both you and your father. Your father would be registered as your dependent. Your company will need to sponsor you for a work visa, or an investor visa, if you are starting the business after you arrive. It looks better on the application if you are a full time, permanent worker, and earn at least 300,000 yen per month.

NightStrike 05-14-2016 02:42 AM

Sangetsu, I apologize for not checking in sooner to say this, but thank you so very much for the advice! I greatly appreciate the insight! This is great news.

I hope you won't mind if I briefly pick your brain once more:
Considering that...
1) I would be a full-time, permanent employee/co-owner of the business and...
2) I would aim to earn at least 300,000 yen per month, then...
Q: Toward the goal of completing this application (by the way, which one is it?), will they only consider my personal income or would they also consider looking at my father's? I ask because my father will be receiving his social security benefits by that point in time (roughly 200,000-250,000 yen/mo depending on when we go), which would be dedicated to covering his living and personal expenses; my own earnings being supplemental support.

Thanks very much, again, for responding! I can't express how completely ecstatic I am right now.

Best regards.