LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
LilKittykins (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to LilKittykins Send a message via MSN to LilKittykins
Owning a pet in Japan - 12-23-2009, 03:00 PM

Hello!
Next year I'm moving to Japan, but I'm right about to get a large dog.
For the first six months in Japan I won't be able to have my dog because of school, but after that I'll be moving into an apartment.

My question is, is it hard to own a dog and rent an apartment in Japan?
I'm afraid that I won't be able to rent any apartments in Japan because of my pet.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilKittykins View Post
Hello!
Next year I'm moving to Japan, but I'm right about to get a large dog.
For the first six months in Japan I won't be able to have my dog because of school, but after that I'll be moving into an apartment.

I'm afraid that I won't be able to rent any apartments in Japan because of my pet.
I could be wrong but I believe that it is quite hard to rent apartments when you have pets. I think some landlords are said to be quite strict with rules, even to not allowing people to stay overnight. The things is though that not all landlords are the same and have the same rules, so I'm sure if you're patient and look hard enough that you'll find someone willing to take you on despite having a pet
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-23-2009, 09:44 PM

The timing is right because your dog will have to be in quarantine for up to 6 months by the Animal Quarantine Service at the airport.

Most apartments do not allow pets.

Some apartments allow pets, but only to a certain size.

Some allow large dogs, but be prepared to pay for it in higher rent, a larger apartment and a pet deposit.

Keep in mind that unless you live out in the country, chances are your large dog will not be allowed off a leash except when inside your apartment. Also unless you are far from the city, parks are small and don't have grass.

Is this the life you want for your dog?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-24-2009, 03:13 AM

No quarantine is necessary if you can prove your dog has had 2 rabies vaccinations within a 12 month period (i.e. a shot in January, and a second shot in November or December of the same year). Without proper vaccinations, your dog will be held in quarantine at your expense.

Most larger apartment buildings do allow pets, but they usually limit them to "medium" size. However, no one really knows what "medium" is exactly, and I see a great many Labradors, Retrievers, and such being walked around the city.

Your apartment building will require that your dog be registered with the local ward office, who will check to make sure that your dog is properly vaccinated. You'll also be given a sticker to put on your front door to let people know that there is a dog in your apartment.

I'm in the process of bringing my 2 dogs to Japan, hopefully in early 2011. I have a house outside the city with a yard, so it's not as much of a problem for me.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

12-24-2009, 07:40 AM

This has been concerning me because I plan on bringing my two small dogs with me if I move to Japan for a year. I've already read about what I need to do with microchipping and rabies etc. but it is still pretty scary. I would die if my dogs were quarantined for more than an hour
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-24-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilKittykins View Post
Hello!

Aprtment renting in Japan is a process, and owning a dog is child's play.

Having the dog in the aprtment residing with you may be a different kettle of fish.

Did you say you are not renting an apartment?

You may have dog/owner troubles if you rent a house.

A country area my be more accepting.

Cheers - Oz
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

12-24-2009, 01:06 PM

You would be surprised at how many dogs are in Tokyo. It is said that the number of dogs is now greater than the number of children. It's rather obvious that owning a dog in Tokyo is not as difficult a thing as many might think.

There are a dozen or so dogs in my GF's building, from Chihuahuas to Shiba Inus, to her Jack Russell. There is a dog salon located across the street, there are dogs parks, and even dog friendly restaurants.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

12-24-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
You would be surprised at how many dogs are in Tokyo. It is said that the number of dogs is now greater than the number of children. It's rather obvious that owning a dog in Tokyo is not as difficult a thing as many might think.

There are a dozen or so dogs in my GF's building, from Chihuahuas to Shiba Inus, to her Jack Russell. There is a dog salon located across the street, there are dogs parks, and even dog friendly restaurants.
It's certainly not impossible to own a big dog either; there was a little old man who lived near me in one of the apartment buildings who owed a Pyrenean mountain dog, which ain't exactly going to go into the 'toy' category.

But I'll agree with MMM that it's not really the idea environment to keep pets.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Aerandor (Offline)
New to JF

02-11-2010, 06:46 AM

Are there any issues with cats and quarantining? Also, is it any easy to find a place that allows cats vs. dogs?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-11-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerandor View Post
Are there any issues with cats and quarantining? Also, is it any easy to find a place that allows cats vs. dogs?
You will always have a period of quarantine if you are coming from a country that is not rabies free.

I would say it isn`t really all that much easier - generally it is "cats and small dogs", but I have heard of smaller apartments being lax and allowing you to have a cat but not a dog if you talk to the owner and make a special deposit toward possible damage.

The easiest seems to be rabbits, as they don`t have a reputation for tearing places up and are also quiet. I know several people who live in buildings that do not permit pets, but have permission to own a rabbit as it falls in the same category as a hamster.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.