JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nanajuu (Offline)
Now with 20% more fiber!

Jobs in Japan... - 09-18-2007, 02:25 AM

I am but 17, and still have a year and 3/4th of school to go(Hate it - but hey, it gives me time to study Japanese... Hopefully I'll be fluent by the time I get out of school..) and recently I have been thinking of college and jobs(As any 17 year old should do in America)...

Ok, first of all: Should I save up and move to Japan after high school and go to college there? Are there even colleges there?( I need to research the Japanese school systems more...) Or would it be better to complete college in America?

On to Jobs... If I do go to Japan before college, I will of course have to work through it(If it is anything like the American school system).. My parents are cheap bastards who spent all my college savings on that damned plasma TV..(Always been content with a normal one, no idea why it needs to be bigger.. or plasma).. So, what type of jobs could an American college student in Japan apply for?

On to after college... I have no idea what type of jobs are available in Japan... I have too much pride to be an english teacher... If anyone could give me a general idea about what industries are there? Is it basically the same as American industries? Just to give you an idea, my interests are pretty much technological stuff... I have always had an odd fetish for virus-busting, too.

Hehe... sorry for all the questions, but I have been dying to ask them for a long time...

Thanks!

*Goes back to preparing more Flash Cards... Gods gift to language-learners!*

Learning Japanese one flash card at a time!

Mother: Yuri
Siblings: animedude3, QuoyaNatsume
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-18-2007, 02:51 AM

If you have "too much pride" to be an English teacher, then you have just cut off 99.99% of the jobs available to you.

Some of my proudest moments are as a teacher, both in Japan and in the US.

If you want to work as a student, you will likely only be allowed to work on campus, and that would be as dish-washer or something along those lines.

Teaching is a very highly respected profession in Japan. I wish it got the same respect here in the US.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nanajuu (Offline)
Now with 20% more fiber!

09-18-2007, 03:06 AM

No offense meant, I only mean that there are people going to Japan by the boatload to teach English... Perhaps its just me, but I would rather not be one of those people. Don't ask me why; I'm weird like that.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-18-2007, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanajuu View Post
No offense meant, I only mean that there are people going to Japan by the boatload to teach English... Perhaps its just me, but I would rather not be one of those people. Don't ask me why; I'm weird like that.
I understand you didn't mean to offend, but it might not have been the best choice of words. Most teachers are quite proud of their calling.

The reason so many Americans go to Japan to teach English is that it is pretty much the only job available for fresh-out-of-college graduates with no other experience. If that isn't what you want to do, then I would apply for colleges in the US that have exhange programs with Japanese colleges. I think you are going to have a hard time applying directly to a Japanese college (how would you take the entrance exams?).
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

09-18-2007, 06:17 AM

you are in IT or techie stuff?? then there are lots of possibilities for you
but if you graduate in your country and come to Japan as a fresh graduate, oppurtunity is kinda slim. But if you study and graduate in a top level university in Japan, then your chances is big.

If you are a student here, chances are just like what MMM said, teaching is a good way to earn money. Most students I know, who have permission from their respective universities of course, teach/tutor English during their free time. It's basically the easiest way. Other part-time jobs are kinda hard on their school schedule, and teaching is very flexible.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-19-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanajuu View Post
I am but 17, and still have a year and 3/4th of school to go(Hate it - but hey, it gives me time to study Japanese... Hopefully I'll be fluent by the time I get out of school..) and recently I have been thinking of college and jobs(As any 17 year old should do in America)...

Ok, first of all: Should I save up and move to Japan after high school and go to college there? Are there even colleges there?( I need to research the Japanese school systems more...) Or would it be better to complete college in America?

On to Jobs... If I do go to Japan before college, I will of course have to work through it(If it is anything like the American school system).. My parents are cheap bastards who spent all my college savings on that damned plasma TV..(Always been content with a normal one, no idea why it needs to be bigger.. or plasma).. So, what type of jobs could an American college student in Japan apply for?

On to after college... I have no idea what type of jobs are available in Japan... I have too much pride to be an english teacher... If anyone could give me a general idea about what industries are there? Is it basically the same as American industries? Just to give you an idea, my interests are pretty much technological stuff... I have always had an odd fetish for virus-busting, too.

Hehe... sorry for all the questions, but I have been dying to ask them for a long time...

Thanks!

*Goes back to preparing more Flash Cards... Gods gift to language-learners!*
To proud to be an English teacher? That's some tough talk for a little 17 year old who's still in high school. Most people want to come to explore Japan for a few years while working as an English teacher. There's nothing wrong with that. If you still have an interest in Japan once you get your degree and want to work in Japan I can almost guarantee that you'll be an English teacher.

Last edited by GhostBlade : 09-19-2007 at 06:32 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
aldine (Offline)
JF Regular

09-24-2007, 10:59 AM

Choose your words wisely kiddo.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nanajuu (Offline)
Now with 20% more fiber!

09-24-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
you are in IT or techie stuff?? then there are lots of possibilities for you
but if you graduate in your country and come to Japan as a fresh graduate, oppurtunity is kinda slim. But if you study and graduate in a top level university in Japan, then your chances is big.

If you are a student here, chances are just like what MMM said, teaching is a good way to earn money. Most students I know, who have permission from their respective universities of course, teach/tutor English during their free time. It's basically the easiest way. Other part-time jobs are kinda hard on their school schedule, and teaching is very flexible.
So, what you are saying is: If I graduate from a college in America and come to Japan hoping to be a computer engineer of some kind, It'll be harder to find that type of job than if I had graduated from a Japanese college? What about if I do as MMM said and "exchange" from an American to a Japanese college?

One more thing: If I ever do need to teach English in Japan, what kind of qualifications do I need?

Thanks so much for your help!

(#9 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-24-2007, 11:08 PM

Here you go Mr. I'm too proud to be an English teacher:

Teaching in the JP 2.0
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Shanis (Offline)
Going to be someone

Send a message via MSN to Shanis
09-24-2007, 11:13 PM

I think if u are too proud to be an english teacher u loose the best job u could do in japan, cause if u be a teacher and good in english u only have to talk in english in ur lessons or with ur coleagues so u don´t have to learn the difficult language. But my cousin lived in japan, too, and he didn´t learn the language and he isn´t an english teacher^^ so there have to be a way u can master it Maybe u should try as an translator for animes and mangas