JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

Business customs in Japan - 09-19-2007, 01:29 AM

Hi all,

Work has had me pretty busy as of late but it is about to pay off. I found out that I'll be going back to Japan for up to 6 months on business. I'll be spearheading a data center migration in Tokyo.

My assignment will have me dealing with IT folk like systems admins as well as high level managers and executives. I lived in Japan for two years so I know a lot of customs and traditions but I am a novice when it comes to business customs and etiquette. The only thing I know is how to properly present and and accept a business card.

Does anyone have any recommendations for books on Japanese business customs and etiquette?

Thanks..
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-19-2007, 02:04 AM

Here's a blog I used to write...you'll find stuff in here that you won't in any book. It was a company blog, and since I quit the company, they haven't maintained it.

japan communications: April 2006
(#3 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-19-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Here's a blog I used to write...you'll find stuff in here that you won't in any book. It was a company blog, and since I quit the company, they haven't maintained it.

japan communications: April 2006
Thanks for that. I bookmarked it and will read it later.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-19-2007, 07:01 AM

I sent you the link to the "beginning" so you don't read it backwards. Let me know what you think! I might try putting some of those types of topics up for discussion here. . . for people to derail.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

09-19-2007, 05:54 PM

EXTREMELY useful. I read through most of it last night.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-19-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I sent you the link to the "beginning" so you don't read it backwards. Let me know what you think! I might try putting some of those types of topics up for discussion here. . . for people to derail.
That's some good stuff. I will continue to read it.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

09-24-2007, 01:49 PM

I just wanted to pop this back up.

While MMM's old blog was EXTREMELY useful, it is also relatively short. So I'm still looking for any other reading recommendations. I've found that there are several books on this subject but I've also noted that most of them are written by Gaijin like myself. I'd like to find a book that was written by a Japanese businessman if at all possible....

thx
(#8 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-24-2007, 02:30 PM

I find the blog to be very well done. Nice piece of work. Not overly done not too brief. Just nice.

Quote:
I'd like to find a book that was written by a Japanese businessman if at all possible....
I don't think it would be easy to find one. Some of these things can only be seen through a foreigner pair of eyes. That's why, many of these books are only written by foreigners instead of Japanese.

Hokkaido e ikitai........