JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Zodiark (Offline)
New to JF

Driving License in Japan - 09-19-2007, 02:18 PM

Hi, I want to know, how you can get the driver License in Japan, and if you have the driver license of another country (for example, a spanish driving license) you can use it there?

La vocación de un político de carrera, es hacer de cada solución un problema.

http://www.ff-fan.com/chartest/banners/vincent.jpg
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

Last edited by Zodiark : 09-20-2007 at 02:31 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
09-19-2007, 02:58 PM

driving license?
in some country, you can convert your driving license into international driving license.. better not make driving license in japan.. coz it's not easy to pass and last but not least.. very expensive!

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#3 (permalink))
Old
Cyclamen (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Cyclamen
09-21-2007, 09:25 AM

*read the next post*

Last edited by Cyclamen : 09-21-2007 at 09:29 AM. Reason: double post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Cyclamen (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Cyclamen
09-21-2007, 09:28 AM

You can't drive in Japan with a foregin license. You can drive in Japan for 1 year ONLY with an international driving permit (issued in your own country), but some countries' driving licenses can be converted into a japanese driving license absolutely without problems (and that's your case, since Spanish driving licenses can be converted. Almost every european driving license can be converted, US driving licenses can't.) Just bring your spanish license + translation to the local office when you arrive and get your own japanese license.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
TheUnknown (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-21-2007, 09:37 AM

I think if you got another country's driving license, you can only drink for 1 year, then you have to do the driving test in Japan.. btw i am not from Japan so may be a little inaccurate but should be very similar hehe... you going to love driving! and ya.. getting DL in asian country is harder.. and cost more.. but ya, driving is cool :P

人生自古誰無死,留取丹心照汗青。-- None since the advent of time have escaped death, may my loyalty forever illuminate the annals of history.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

09-21-2007, 02:53 PM

I believe that one year rule still applies. Unless you are US Military. US Military have to take a week long driving course and pass a driving test. Then they are good to go. Unlike the $4000 Japanese driving school (which requires 40 hours of instructor led driving) the military course is all classroom based with the exception of the actual test.

IMO there is almost no reason to get a drivers license in Japan unless your job requires it. You pretty much never need a car to begin with, especially in Tokyo or any of the other major cities. Even the smaller cities and towns have good public transportation.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
oneshot (Offline)
New to JF

10-30-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBeavis View Post
I believe that one year rule still applies. Unless you are US Military. US Military have to take a week long driving course and pass a driving test. Then they are good to go. Unlike the $4000 Japanese driving school (which requires 40 hours of instructor led driving) the military course is all classroom based with the exception of the actual test.

IMO there is almost no reason to get a drivers license in Japan unless your job requires it. You pretty much never need a car to begin with, especially in Tokyo or any of the other major cities. Even the smaller cities and towns have good public transportation.
Agreed the transportation system is good enough that you can get by without a car. The road tolls are expensive as well, so weekend trips away are usually best done making use of trains.
I still changed my Australian licence over though(just paid the fee and did an eyesight test) and I've driven from Tokyo to Fukushima for long weekends with friends as we were staying in a remote area away from any major train stations.
I've used my Japanese licence as a form of ID on a few occasions as well.
Although not a necessity its definitely a nice to have
(#8 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

10-31-2007, 12:13 AM

You would want to check with your country's embassy in Japan for specific details. Most countries have signed a treaty with Japan that allows you to simply have your current license translated by Japan Automobile Federation (JAF). Of course if you are from the US, this is not the case. You have to have it translated and then take the written and driving test.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

10-31-2007, 12:14 AM

Also if you live in a prefecture like Gunma, you definitely need a car.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-31-2007, 12:44 AM

True...some people are hours away from a train station.

Int'l licence is the best, if your country and Japan have agreed to it.