JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nanajuu (Offline)
Now with 20% more fiber!

Need info - college - 09-28-2007, 04:24 AM

Alright, I need some information about college....(Third year in High School, deciding which courses to take)

I was originally planning on taking Computer Engineering or some such college course, maybe be a tech-support guy, but that was really a best-out-of-the-worst picks. Its what I'm best at, even though I'm not that great at it, or particularly interested in it.

From what I have been reading here, though, I think I may have another, better, option.

(By the way, some of these questions are probably incredibly stupid. Please forgive me, but I have to know exactly what I'm up against. If there is one probability left unknown, It really bothers me... Perhaps its OCD, perhaps its just the way I am, I dunno. But please, bear with me.)

Is it possible to make a living(From out of college till retirement) being a translator? And, living in Japan(Probably in a not-too-large but not-too-small place, like Nara, Nara... Though, I wouldn't mind living in the big city, like Tokyo), how hard would it be to stumble upon an opening in this particular field? I know this may depend on the employer, but do you generally do this work at home, or at an office? What kind of courses should I take in College for this line of work(By the way, if all goes well, I think Temple University Japan would be a fine college to go to)?

Thanks, and sorry about having so many questions!

Learning Japanese one flash card at a time!

Mother: Yuri
Siblings: animedude3, QuoyaNatsume