JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Newbie (Offline)
New to JF

Question Internship in Tomioka, Gunma - 09-28-2007, 04:35 PM

Hallo!
I just got to know that I was accepted for an internship in Japan in March 2008. It's in a town called Tomioka in Gunma.

Does anybody know this town? Is it far from Tokyo or other bigger cities? Where can I get some information about railway fares & timetables?
I want to take a "Japanese course for beginners" or sth. like that, but I doubt, that it will be enough (I don't know a word, yet). Is it possible to get along with English in everyday life?
It would be nice if I could get to know some people nearby or get some practical information about the city, life in gunma or what I should think of before departure.

Thanks for any helpful info.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-06-2007, 08:38 AM

Tomioka, Gunma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gunma Prefecture HomePage

Sorry all could do is to give these links as I have never been to Tomioka myself. The train fare for Tokyo-Tomioka is 5,570 yen for one way and it's about an 80-minute ride (50 mins on Shinkansen and 30 on a local train).

In general, most Japanese don't speak more than a few words of English. And they usually read and write it much better than they speak it.

Hope your stay in Gunma will be enjoyable.

Last edited by masaegu : 10-06-2007 at 08:42 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-06-2007, 09:02 AM

Start studying Japanese now. Most Japanese do not speak English, and the further you get from the major cities, they less they will know. You will thank yourself for every minute you spend studying Japanese conversation beginning today.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Newbie (Offline)
New to JF

10-07-2007, 11:45 AM

Thanks for your advice!!!
I'm soo excited! I'll definitely take a Japanese course
(#5 (permalink))
Old
beegee1962 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to beegee1962 Send a message via Skype™ to beegee1962
Thumbs up 10-08-2007, 07:24 PM

Yes, learn japanese fast.
I am a german, moving to Japan in a few weeks to work there. In the past years I was there up to 6 times a year for business trip, and without knowing japanese, it will be very difficult.

My company sent me to a japanese teacher in Germany, she used a book names "Japanisch im Sauseschritt", it gives you a very fast introduction so that you can understand basics soon.

It teaches Katakana and Hiragana as well, so that you can read the menues and street signs .

Have fun in Japan.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

10-08-2007, 11:43 PM

Hi, I live in Ota which is on the other side of Takasaki and Isesaki from Tomioka. Gunma is a very nice place to live and you can get to Tokyo for less than 5,000 yen. That is probably the fastest train from Takasaki to Tokyo. But honestly you will be living right next to Takasaki, why even bother with Tomioka. Honestly when you live in Gunma for about 6 months, after that you won't even want to go to Tokyo too often. Takasaki and Maebashi are pretty cool. If you want to learn Japanese, you can just make some Japanese friends that speak English. There is a English cafe at the prefectural offices in Maebashi every Thursday. That is a good place to start. I would write more, but I have to go to class.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-09-2007, 12:02 AM

Life gets cheaper when you start to appreciate what's close by more.