JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
koponov (Offline)
New to JF

Sharing an Internet Connection - 04-07-2010, 01:39 PM

A colleague and I are living in the same building but on different floors. His room is on the 5th floor while mine is on the 4th. We are planning to share his internet connection so we can save up on bills. We plan to have a LAN cable run down from his window to my window. The question is, is this kind of setup illegal in Japan? Is running a LAN cable on the side of a building, particularly an apartment, to share a connection, prohibited by Japan law?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-07-2010, 02:16 PM

Ever tried WiFi. It uses radio waves to make connections between computers.
I hear it might catch on in the next 5 years or so 8)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-07-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koponov View Post
A colleague and I are living in the same building but on different floors. His room is on the 5th floor while mine is on the 4th. We are planning to share his internet connection so we can save up on bills. We plan to have a LAN cable run down from his window to my window. The question is, is this kind of setup illegal in Japan? Is running a LAN cable on the side of a building, particularly an apartment, to share a connection, prohibited by Japan law?
It's not prohibited by law, but I can guarantee your landlord is not going to like it, and I doubt your ISP will agree with it.

Three words: secured wifi connection.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Encyclopod (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Encyclopod
04-08-2010, 12:17 AM

Yeah, like others are saying WiFi seems like the way to go. You could easily buy a USB WiFi adapter.

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-08-2010, 02:13 AM

If you are using newer notebook computers, they likely already have wifi capability, so one computer can be hooked up to the internet, and the other one can access the internet through the other via wifi. Once he is hooked up, have him turn on the wireless switch on his pc, and turn on the switch on your pc as well, his computer should show up when you click the network icon.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-12-2010, 04:29 PM

Just on a serious note. The gap you guys will make for the cable is choice marketing for the local roaches.
You will get some little mo'fos gain entry, hide for a week or so, then end up sleeping on your bed while you shiver, wide eye'd in the corner.