JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nanajuu (Offline)
Now with 20% more fiber!

Banks in Japan.... - 09-30-2007, 08:48 PM

Are banks common in Japan? I know the Japanese usually carry their money with them...

What I really want to know is: Is there a place I could possibly get a loan as a college student? Especially as a foreigner?

Learning Japanese one flash card at a time!

Mother: Yuri
Siblings: animedude3, QuoyaNatsume
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-01-2007, 12:43 AM

Banks are very common in Japan, but I don't know any bank, in Japan or anywhere, that gives loans to foreign students.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
TheUnknown (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-01-2007, 12:53 AM

ya, agree with MMM. it is highly unlikely that they would lead their money to a foreigner without a very very reason.. as you know, Japan have very low interest rates so you can just borrow the money and bank in a country with high interest rate and that will earn you $$$ and again.. why would they let you borrow money just to invest outside of Japan? the least they want is for you to invest the money back here (Japan) and enable economics growth...

人生自古誰無死,留取丹心照汗青。-- None since the advent of time have escaped death, may my loyalty forever illuminate the annals of history.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

10-01-2007, 04:16 AM

Japanese carry money everywhere because, at least outside of major cities, there are very few places that accept credit/debit cards. Another thing is that banks are never open. (Again, outside of major cities) They open at like 10 am then close at 3 pm. And I thought banks in the US were bad when they couldn't stay open on the weekends.

On the issue of getting a student loan, chances are slim. It is hard enough for a foreigner to get a cell phone and lease a car. You should try the loans offered by like Bank of America or Citibank that allow the money to be used on just about anything. Of course if you are just out of high school, you are going to need a cosigner with good credit.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

10-01-2007, 04:19 AM

Of course now that I think about, you need proof of enrollment to do that. But to enroll in a Japanese university you have to prove you have money to attend. What kind of paradigm that is, I forget.