JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
madzanta (Offline)
New to JF

Visa run - 10-02-2007, 03:08 AM

Anyone know if its possible and or easy to do a visa run to Korea?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

10-02-2007, 03:46 AM

Don't you mean a visa run from Korea? I know a lot of teachers that come and get their working visas in Japan because Korea won't grant the visa when you are in Korea, but I have never heard of it being done the opposite way. Unless your working visa has expired, then I guess you would have to leave Japan and re-enter on a tourist permit. Or are you talking about your tourist permit expiring and needing to leave and come back to get another tourist permit?

I mean, your question isn't exactly clear. Work visas are granted within Japan as long as you apply for it. Even if it is about to expire, once you apply for renewal you are given a stamp showing your application is being processed.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
madzanta (Offline)
New to JF

10-02-2007, 03:54 AM

No, I mean to Korea. What I have read i cant get a work visa as long as I am in Japan (I am a Scandinavian citizen). I had to apply for my last Visa (student) in advance in my home country.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

10-02-2007, 04:06 AM

Once you find an employer, they would give your contract to the immigration office and apply for a change of visa status. The only way you would have to leave Japan is if you don't have enough time on your current visa to stay in Japan until the work visa is issued. If that is the case, I would ask for a change to a tourist visa at the immigration office before you left and came back. But no, you don't have to leave Japan to get the work visa granted as long as you are on a valid visa.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

10-02-2007, 05:30 AM

I have been looking at it a little more, and I think I am still correct. You will need to apply for the work visa at least 6 weeks before your current visa will expire. If your student visa expires before then, you will need to request a change to the Visitor (tourist) visa when your student visa expires. From what I have read, they grant tourist visas to students without any delays. You should be able to get one that is valid up to three months. The reason it takes at least 6 weeks to change from the tourist or student to the work visa is that your qualifications and contract must be approved. At that time you will receive a certificate of eligibility. Then you will go to the immigration office and again present them with your qualifications (a college degree) and proof of employment. Then they will either give you the visa or a stamp showing that the work visa will be granted.

So far, I have not found any exceptions to this procedure based on differing nationalities. If you are still unsure about the rules specific to your situation, I would contact either the Japanese embassy in your home country or your embassy in Japan. They would know the specific rules that apply to your case.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
vulgarshudder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-03-2007, 09:06 PM

Yes, they changed the rules so that you don't need to 'get out' the country to change your visa.

おれんとこ来ないか?