JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Jessica91 (Offline)
Secrets should be kept...

School in Japan - 10-14-2007, 02:16 PM

Hey, I got a question I've always wanted to ask...

I know you get a lot of fashion "groups" in Japan and some of them are quite bold, so teenagers who go to school, do they adapt their fashion into their uniform or are they not allowed? Cos surely if they do, the teacher or the school wouldn't let them cos the trends can be very eyecatching...

Thank you!

Jessicaxo

(#2 (permalink))
Old
baronchar (Offline)
New to JF

10-14-2007, 02:38 PM

I'm not from Japan, so I can't claim to be an expert; but I did read a book called "Wearing Ideology" a few years ago that addressed the subject of school uniforms in Japan. The author surveyed students and teachers from around the country.
I recall two things from it that may help answer your question. Firstly, a fair number of students actually like their uniforms and even choose to wear them outside of school as a fashion statement. And secondly, since some students do try to "customize" their uniform or appearance by altering it or accessorizing, some schools and teachers do give in to a certain extent.
I'm sure if there were goth-loli girls walking around the halls decked out in a full outfit they'd put a stop to that, but something like "loose socks" or brown hair might sneak by. It probably depends on the individual school.

僕の日本フォルム家族!
Strange Twin: Tsuzuki

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people"
(#3 (permalink))
Old
lizzey (Offline)
Banned

Smile 05-19-2008, 03:15 AM

Japanese students are not allow of any type of different fashion besides their uniform. Not even different type of hair styles that may seem out of school policy. It's school rules.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-19-2008, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzey View Post
Japanese students are not allow of any type of different fashion besides their uniform. Not even different type of hair styles that may seem out of school policy. It's school rules.
Certainly not what I see in Tokyo. Most public high schols in Tokyo don't even have uniforms, period.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

05-19-2008, 04:05 AM

Typically, they would not be allowed to do something like that. Maybe things are changing in the capital, though. I visited two public high schools, one in Chiba prefecture and one in Nagoya... both had very strict dress codes, no dyed hair except for a medium shade of brown, very little jewelry allowed, etc.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-19-2008, 05:40 AM

Most schools around here have a fairly strict uniform, but hair color is only limited to "natural" shades of brown so you see plenty of dyed hair. I`d say it really depends on the school. The easier the school is to get into, the less they enforce the dress code it seems. The harder to get into "elite" schools are far more strict and police even tiny details.

You see more individualism with accessories on bags, book covers, etc rather than dress - at least during school hours.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Typically, they would not be allowed to do something like that. Maybe things are changing in the capital, though. I visited two public high schools, one in Chiba prefecture and one in Nagoya... both had very strict dress codes, no dyed hair except for a medium shade of brown, very little jewelry allowed, etc.
That was the policy of the schools I taught at... no accessories, no wild or brightly dyed hair, etc. Judging from the kids I saw on trains and other places from other schools, that was the norm in most or all of the nearby schools.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-19-2008, 12:26 PM

I agree with Nagoyayankee, in Tokyo, I see a lot of school kids who dress in various manner. The culture there is pretty "white wash" (and I don't mean it in a discriminative way).

Though, when rules do exist, a vast majority of people will stick to it... so if you school or the area you live in are not as open minded, then I guess you will see children in traditional school uniform.

As I always say, rules are nothing but a set of etiquettes that is considered whats socially acceptable, so I guess the same applies to fashion too, Tokyo being such a big and modernized city, I guess it is more acceptable to have "out of whack" fasion
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Jessica91 (Offline)
Secrets should be kept...

05-29-2008, 12:16 AM

Ah I see, thank you guys for answering my questions! I get that in my school in the uk. We have to wear a shirt but you do get some people who wear smaller shirts (so they're tight) and don't do up the top buttons up and stuff and NO ONE tucks the shirt in their trousers ( I assume that happens in most schools here anyway!) I don't weara uniform anymore cos I'm in sixth form but I never did follow the "fashion" anyway!

Jessicaxo