LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
TokyoFerrari (Offline)
The white guy in Tokyo

10-26-2007, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
i'm afraid you've confused me a little... i haven't heard of Toudai, kyodai, keiretsu etc. anymore info on this? (a link maybe)
Also, i'm going to do math and/or physics... your thoughts on that?
Toudai = University of Tokyo
Kyodai = University ok Kyoto

Keiretsu = a Family of companies.

You should know this if you plan on coming here.

the University of Tokyo[HOME]

http://www.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
(#22 (permalink))
Old
TokyoFerrari (Offline)
The white guy in Tokyo

10-26-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Well, I was wondering how you got in. That would be like being accepted at Harvard and Yale. I wouldn't think a non-native speaker would even have a chance going through the application process.
Tokyo/Kyoto University would be the same as say... University of Washington. There are many of these students who go abroad to learn at say Oxford, MIT, Yale, Harvard and end up dropping because the classes are to advanced. They are the best for Japan and Japan only. Even then, my wife graduated from Gakushuin with her law degree with a 2 year study at Yale. She walks all over her fellow Tokyo Univ. lawyers.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-26-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoFerrari View Post
Tokyo/Kyoto University would be the same as say... University of Washington. There are many of these students who go abroad to learn at say Oxford, MIT, Yale, Harvard and end up dropping because the classes are to advanced. They are the best for Japan and Japan only. Even then, my wife graduated from Gakushuin with her law degree with a 2 year study at Yale. She walks all over her fellow Tokyo Univ. lawyers.
Oh, no doubt in the world. But the admissions process and reputation is more what I meant. Many Japanese study their asses off to get into a University, only to party for four years. In Japan, the hard part is getting in. In the US, the hard part is graduation (to make a sweeping generalization).
(#24 (permalink))
Old
TsukinoHana (Offline)
New to JF

10-26-2007, 02:03 AM

i was wondering does japan have an international cosmetology school for anyone who wants to learn?
(#25 (permalink))
Old
TokyoFerrari (Offline)
The white guy in Tokyo

10-26-2007, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Oh, no doubt in the world. But the admissions process and reputation is more what I meant. Many Japanese study their asses off to get into a University, only to party for four years. In Japan, the hard part is getting in. In the US, the hard part is graduation (to make a sweeping generalization).
RIGHT!!!! Aint that some shit lol. Japanese kids go through all that crap and some hang themselves just to party in Univ. Hence the rapid decline in the Japanese economy.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
TokyoFerrari (Offline)
The white guy in Tokyo

10-26-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsukinoHana View Post
i was wondering does japan have an international cosmetology school for anyone who wants to learn?
That you would pretty much need to be fluent in Japanese.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
TsukinoHana (Offline)
New to JF

10-26-2007, 02:21 AM

Quote:
That you would pretty much need to be fluent in Japanese.
oh i see well thank you for your service and help.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-26-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsukinoHana View Post
There are plenty of beauty schools, but I have never heard of an international one...
(#29 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-26-2007, 02:47 AM

Quote:
RIGHT!!!! Aint that some shit lol. Japanese kids go through all that crap and some hang themselves just to party in Univ. Hence the rapid decline in the Japanese economy.
Well, it's always been that way, but it goes to show you that your pedigree and your actual skills have nothing to do with each other.

I have worked for too many Japanese bosses, and pretty much the only thing they look for in an application is where you went to school and what level of degree you have.

It's funny to imagine, but it's even worse in Korea. Now all these Korean politicians and famous people are getting caught lying on their resume's saying they graduated from NYU and famous universities when they only went to a community college in the same city.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-26-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Toudai = University of Tokyo
Kyodai = University ok Kyoto

Keiretsu = a Family of companies.

You should know this if you plan on coming here.

the University of Tokyo[HOME]

http://www.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
i know these sites well, but i didn't know they were called as you mentioned above. I'm guessing thats how you say it in japanese?

MMM, i think what you mentioned is the same all over the world these days. For example, my brother went to Imperial college (3rd overall in uk, and 1st for some subjects), now he's a financial banker, but he told me when they recruit people in these BIG companies, they only look at the UNI, and the qualification level, not even the subject. He told me what you learn in school/uni etc is almost ALWAYS useless you do research or if its a subject destined for one job only./ The only reason people employ uni gradutes is cos it shows companies that they are able to get through tough exams. have deadlines, they can organise themselves etc etc