LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-27-2007, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoFerrari View Post
How would that be different from American schools recruting from other countries for their baseball/football/soccer teams? There was no ban there nor will there ever be.
It would be very different, as American athletes are mostly required to get a certain GPA and take so many classes per semester to remain active on a sports team.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-27-2007, 04:36 AM

The school was at fault for recruiting in this way. Everyone knows Kenyans are overpowered

Then again, I see your point of this thread. Yes, most Japanese are very xenophobic. That comes from living on a tiny island, and while the rest of the world was trading, exploring, and starting a new era, their government imposed an extremely strict isolationist policy. Part fear, part "cultural preservation," in the long run it only served to neuter Japan's cultural evolution. So when you hear of them refusing to sit on the subway next to us, it's not because they're racist; just ignorant. Can't really blame them, but times are changing, and it's time to get with them.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
TokyoFerrari (Offline)
The white guy in Tokyo

10-27-2007, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
If you want to call them "students". These were dudes from Kenya and other places in Africa, mostly, who were given scholarships at Japanese Universities, and they didn't speak Japanese. There surely were incentives for them to come, and I guess it sucks for them, but it's not like they had were kicked out of some Japanese university they had applied and got accepted to.

The few Japanese I talked to about it called it poor sportmanship for those Universities to ship in runners specifiacally for that one race.
I dont think it is for only 1 race. Of course it gives an edge to the japanese teams. But what about that person from Kenya who now has a chance at something. there is no way he can only run. He has to have a passing grade.
Or at least try. I call it oppertunity. Japanese recruit for American football here. I play for the huskies and am an inside linebacker. I knoock the shit out of the japanese players. Granted only 4 gaijin can be on a team and 2 on the feild at the same time but hey, It is their rules. Look at Pro baseball here.... HELL!!! Look at SUMO!

Shall I go on?

Last edited by TokyoFerrari : 10-30-2007 at 12:32 PM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
TokyoFerrari (Offline)
The white guy in Tokyo

10-27-2007, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
The school was at fault for recruiting in this way. Everyone knows Kenyans are overpowered

Then again, I see your point of this thread. Yes, most Japanese are very xenophobic. That comes from living on a tiny island, and while the rest of the world was trading, exploring, and starting a new era, their government imposed an extremely strict isolationist policy. Part fear, part "cultural preservation," in the long run it only served to neuter Japan's cultural evolution. So when you hear of them refusing to sit on the subway next to us, it's not because they're racist; just ignorant. Can't really blame them, but times are changing, and it's time to get with them.
You know what is funny, when I do ride the train, if I am in jeans tee shirt and timberlands no one will sit by me except the drunk old guys trying to talk english. But when I am suited up... no problem there... everyone takes a seat. lol
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-27-2007, 04:45 AM

Quote:
I dont think it is for only 1 race. Of course it gives an edge to the japanese teams. But what about that person from Kenya who now has a chance at something. there is no way he can only run. He has to have a passing grade.
Or at least try. I call it oppertunity. Japanese recruit for American football here. I play for the huskies and am an inside linebacker. I knoock the shit out of the japanese players. Granted only 4 gaijin can be on a team and 2 on the feild at the same time but hey, It is their rules. Look at Pro baseball here.... HELL!!! Look at SUMO!

Shall I go on?
Aren't you arguing against your original argument there?

I am not blaming the students for the ban, and I think any time you ban a certain class of people from something you are getting into risky territory. What I am saying is that the ban wasn't stemmed from racism, which is the impression the article you posted gave, but from certain schools taking adavantage of foreign "students" for the simple purpsose of winning the prestigious marathon. It was dirty play, and they did what they thought was the best way to fix it.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-27-2007, 04:46 AM

Quote:
You know what is funny, when I do ride the train, if I am in jeans tee shirt and timberlands no one will sit by me except the drunk old guys trying to talk english. But when I am suited up... no problem there... everyone takes a seat. lol
That's interesting. I have never had anyone not sit next to me on the train. Maybe it's a Kansai thing...
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-27-2007, 04:46 AM

Quote:
If you want to call them "students". These were dudes from Kenya and other places in Africa, mostly, who were given scholarships at Japanese Universities, and they didn't speak Japanese. There surely were incentives for them to come, and I guess it sucks for them, but it's not like they had were kicked out of some Japanese university they had applied and got accepted to.

The few Japanese I talked to about it called it poor sportmanship for those Universities to ship in runners specifiacally for that one race.
But what about the students that are not from Africa but are still foreign too?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
TokyoFerrari (Offline)
The white guy in Tokyo

10-27-2007, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Aren't you arguing against your original argument there?

I am not blaming the students for the ban, and I think any time you ban a certain class of people from something you are getting into risky territory. What I am saying is that the ban wasn't stemmed from racism, which is the impression the article you posted gave, but from certain schools taking adavantage of foreign "students" for the simple purpsose of winning the prestigious marathon. It was dirty play, and they did what they thought was the best way to fix it.
But I honestly dont think they did take advantage of them. I take it you live in Japan. You know how many affricans live here right. So their kids go to school and win races. I see what your saying and I agree with you. I just dont think they recruted. Maybe some shibuya school recruted from shinjuku or something, but not going directly to africa for the runners.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-27-2007, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidreptile View Post
But what about the students that are not from Africa but are still foreign too?
What about them? I don't understand the question.

Basically, the students shipped in to run in the marathon were from Africa. I am trying to think if there were any from other continents, but can't think of any of the top of my head.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
TokyoFerrari (Offline)
The white guy in Tokyo

10-27-2007, 04:49 AM

Quote:
That's interesting. I have never had anyone not sit next to me on the train. Maybe it's a Kansai thing...
I never had a problem in Kansai. I thought it was better there. Tokyo is just evil. lol