JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

12-03-2007, 05:32 AM

its quick money .. that's the simplest reason of it all ..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-03-2007, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
They are paid to sit around and stroke the egos of drunk people. Both men and women nowadays but mostly men. They are basically the modern form of geisha. That is really the best way to put it except a lot dumber. And there is a lot of gaijin doing it too. However in my personal opinion the first three letters of hostess says it all. Just a bunch of dumb...
There are all kinds of hostesses and all kinds of bars. What you see on TVs and in the movies...retardedly overpriced swanky clubs with girls in evening gowns filling drinks and, like you said, stroking egos, certainly exists.

But pound for pound, that's not what most hostesses are doing. Most are behind the counters in very small snack bars. Same thing: mixing drinks and stroking egos. However, in my experience, a lot of the girls are in the business to look for a husband, or just to make ends meet. The "glamorous" part is being the rich customer. There isn't nearly the glamour for the hostess (or host, for that matter). Sure there are dates and gifts...but nothing in life is free.

I don't know, I have never heard of a gaijin going to Japan specifically to be a hostess. I think I have a higher opinion of the position than Jasonbvr, but it's kind of like saying I want to move to Korea to be a waitress.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-03-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
its quick money .. that's the simplest reason of it all ..
It's good money, but it ain't quick.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

12-03-2007, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It's good money, but it ain't quick.

there might be some who have "good" intention working as hostess, but most of them "extort" from "stupid" men/women who want to boost their egos

and yes it is quick money, though you need to have a lots of talent "stroking" the customers

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#15 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

12-03-2007, 06:00 AM

I know what I said is unfairly slamming on the girls working these places when it should be directed at the business itself. My opinion of hostesses stems from how I perceive Japan's sex industry in general, a bunch of sleaze. I don't exactly feel that these sorts of businesses are improving Japan's sexual health and women's status in society. I can understand the driving force behind it, a history of geishas who were in my opinion very talented (as in like musically and socially gifted) prostitutes and like samokan points out easy money. But I still find the practice in general and the businesses associated with them such as massage parlors and soap lands to be degrading to women.

Most foreigners working as hostesses are from the Phillipines, Eastern Europe, China and other Asian countries. And not that the hostess industry is to blame for it, but Japan does have a problem with human trafficking. Some girls come over and their passports are taken from them. Then they become virtual prisoners in black market brothels. Some are beaten and psychologically abused. Told that they will be in big trouble if the government finds out they are in the country illegally.

To me, the hostess industry is the most visible part of what I see as Japan's sex industry. This is basically the cause of my negative views of hostesses.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-03-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
there might be some who have "good" intention working as hostess, but most of them "extort" from "stupid" men/women who want to boost their egos

and yes it is quick money, though you need to have a lots of talent "stroking" the customers
I think you aren't being fair. Most hostesses are students and young women that don't want to work in an office pouring coffee. A lot of them didn't graduate from college, which really isn't as important for some women in Japan.

In my experience, hostesses are not exploiting thieves (the bar-owners, maybe). They are people doing a job in a service industry that exists in Japan, but not in other places around the world. I see most hostesses as the same as waitresses and ticket vendors. They work in the service industry. Some are better than others...
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-03-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I know what I said is unfairly slamming on the girls working these places when it should be directed at the business itself. My opinion of hostesses stems from how I perceive Japan's sex industry in general, a bunch of sleaze. I don't exactly feel that these sorts of businesses are improving Japan's sexual health and women's status in society. I can understand the driving force behind it, a history of geishas who were in my opinion very talented (as in like musically and socially gifted) prostitutes and like samokan points out easy money. But I still find the practice in general and the businesses associated with them such as massage parlors and soap lands to be degrading to women.

Most foreigners working as hostesses are from the Phillipines, Eastern Europe, China and other Asian countries. And not that the hostess industry is to blame for it, but Japan does have a problem with human trafficking. Some girls come over and their passports are taken from them. Then they become virtual prisoners in black market brothels. Some are beaten and psychologically abused. Told that they will be in big trouble if the government finds out they are in the country illegally.

To me, the hostess industry is the most visible part of what I see as Japan's sex industry. This is basically the cause of my negative views of hostesses.
The hostess industry is so wide-reaching and spread out, I think both of you are being a little unfair.

What you are talking about certainly happens, but I do not associate a snack bar with any part of the sex industry in Japan. I don't want to go into my own personal business, but let me say I have a pretty good understanding and experience of how snacks work and the different kinds of shops, and the majority are very small operations where the women never even come from behind the counter. You are paying for companionship, yes...but not sexual companionship. All of the mamas I know would be pissed if a girl slept with a customer. It's against the rules. Once she sleeps with the guy, what's the mysterious allure?

I agree with your thoughts about the sex industry, but hostesses aren't whores.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

12-03-2007, 06:54 AM

I've never seen a hostess club advertise their amazing takoyaki. It is always these slick dudes or yakuza looking thugs showing you pictures of their girls. Of the friends I have that patronize these places, none of them are going in there to drop 70 to 100 dollars on just shochu and water.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 12-03-2007 at 06:59 AM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

12-03-2007, 06:58 AM

I respect your opinion MMM and understand where you are coming from, but I still don't find anything appealing about snack bars, hostess clubs, massage parlors and soap lands. I see the differences between them, but I still don't find it the least bit healthy.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-03-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I've never seen a hostess club advertise their amazing takoyaki. It is always these slick dudes or yakuza looking thugs showing you pictures of their girls. Of the friends I have that patronize these places, none of them are going in there to drop 70 to 100 dollars on just shochu and water.
Those sorts of places certainly exist. My point is that the cabaret style of those places (Let me guess...really big...lotsa mirrors...lotsa of sunken couches...lotsa girls) are the minority. Sure they exist. But do you blame the guy making your fries for how unhealthy McDonald's is?

Quote:
I respect your opinion MMM and understand where you are coming from, but I still don't find anything appealing about snack bars, hostess clubs, massage parlors and soap lands. I see the differences between them, but I still don't find it the least bit healthy.
I am not saying you should. Gaijin and snack bars really don't go well together. Hostess clubs, too. The other items on that list are grey-zone prostitution, and you are totally right, not a positive part of society.

I am just saying don't call hostesses whores because the majority of them are honest girls just trying to live. That's all.