JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

12-03-2007, 07:52 AM

im not saying that all hostess are whores as i said ive met some girls who work honestly in the business but majority are. Ive meet a lot of girls work honestly as part-time hostesses cause they need "fast cash" without pouring coffee in the office, or cleaning toilets.. but some are just in for the money they can extort

unless I know the real reason why they enter that kind of job, I don't have much respect for them. I don't judge, its their lives and their business but its only my right not to respect them till I got to know them

Im actually glad that Japan close the entertainment ( clubs, etc) business who recruit girls from my country ( Philippines ) but unfortunately I think it did more damage than good. There are already some who resort to marriage-for-convenience just to be able to get a spousal visa here and be able to work and not just from my country but others as well.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#22 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

12-03-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am just saying don't call hostesses whores because the majority of them are honest girls just trying to live. That's all.
Very well then, I apologize for my derogatory comment made earlier and will edit the post. Even though a ho is not whore, they are both derogatory terms and shouldn't have been said. My bad.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 12-03-2007 at 09:19 AM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-03-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
im not saying that all hostess are whores as i said ive met some girls who work honestly in the business but majority are. Ive meet a lot of girls work honestly as part-time hostesses cause they need "fast cash" without pouring coffee in the office, or cleaning toilets.. but some are just in for the money they can extort

unless I know the real reason why they enter that kind of job, I don't have much respect for them. I don't judge, its their lives and their business but its only my right not to respect them till I got to know them

Im actually glad that Japan close the entertainment ( clubs, etc) business who recruit girls from my country ( Philippines ) but unfortunately I think it did more damage than good. There are already some who resort to marriage-for-convenience just to be able to get a spousal visa here and be able to work and not just from my country but others as well.
Samokan, I will be very careful about how I phrase the next few sentences.

One of my best drinking buddies in Osaka was from the Phillipines. He would take me to Phillipine hostess clubs all the time (he seemed to have "relatives" at each one, and somehow we always got a discount, so I never complained). These were loud, obnoxious, and really fun places. But I did sense that the girls there were desperately looking to find a husband quick.

I didn't "sense" it...I knew it. Becaue they told me.

Please don't take offense if I say that foreign hostesses and Japanese hostesses are two different entities.

You say the majority of hostesses in Japan are whores. I am saying that is simply not true.

A whore is a woman who is payed for sex. Hostesses are not paid for sex. Hostesses are conversationalists, bartenders, and companions all-in-one. Ask a hostess for a date, and she'll tell you "Come back to my bar next time I work, and I'll think about it." That's not a whore.

I don't know why so many Filipino women work as hostesses in Japan. Are they recruited? I don't know. But there is a difference between a Filipino hostess bar and a Japanese snack. I can't speak about the Filipino girls you are talking about, but in my experience, they weren't whores, either. They were looking for husbands, yes...but not accepting money for sex.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-03-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
Very well then, I apologize for my derogatory comment made earlier and will edit the post. Even though a ho is not whore, they are both derogatory terms and shouldn't have been said. My bad.
I am not asking you to change it. And I totally understand your position. Snacks have a bad rep among gaijin as a rip-off...and for social people, they totally are a rip-off. But for lonely single salary-men who never got married and have money to burn, spending a few thousand yen to have a guaranteed friend you can talk to any night of the week is more than worth it. THAT is what is the backbone of the snack bar world.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

12-03-2007, 11:42 PM

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of those socially inept types in Japan. I'm not trying to Japan bash or anything, it's just an obversation. You get them in an English class and it's like, what do I do with this person? They can barely maintain a conversation in Japanese much less English.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-04-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of those socially inept types in Japan. I'm not trying to Japan bash or anything, it's just an obversation. You get them in an English class and it's like, what do I do with this person? They can barely maintain a conversation in Japanese much less English.

I don't think there is are many vehicles to teach social interaction in Japan. It's too easy to be a wallflower. For example, there aren't social events at schools like dances, which are a big petri dish for learning how to talk to the opposite sex. Less women in Japan today are going to college to meet men, and are going to learn a career. Suddenly these guys are 35 and realize they have never talked to a girl before.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Lie (Offline)
New to JF

Hostessing... - 12-26-2007, 11:40 AM

I was just wondering, I know it's illegal to work as a hostess on a working holiday visa, but if you have a proper work visa and want to work part-time as a hostess as-well...is that legal? I can't find anything saying whether it is or not on a work visa...
(#28 (permalink))
Old
fz22gq (Offline)
New to JF

01-06-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones92 View Post
What does a hostess do exactly?
depends on the girl. officially server drinks ... unofficially ... well, you do the math.

It's all written here, everything i see and do in Japan, stop by for a look at ---->>>>The Duck in Japan
(#29 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-06-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lie View Post
I was just wondering, I know it's illegal to work as a hostess on a working holiday visa, but if you have a proper work visa and want to work part-time as a hostess as-well...is that legal? I can't find anything saying whether it is or not on a work visa...
Officially, no, it is not. Snack bars cannot sponsor visas. Unofficially, you will never get caught as long as you show up for work at your real job.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-06-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz22gq View Post
depends on the girl. officially server drinks ... unofficially ... well, you do the math.
You obviouslly didn't read the whole thread, but that's OK.

What do hostesses do "officially" is serve drinks and give attentive conversation.

What they really do is sell the fantasy that you have a chance with her. You can go on a date with a hostess, maybe after visiting her bar several times (probably a dozen or more) but chances are it will be before she goes to work, and you will finish the night at her club.

I'll say again. Hostesses are not whores. You guys all have this impression that hostess clubs and snack bars are whore houses, and if you go into one thinking so, you will be severely disappointed. Oh, you'll have a great time, and a lot of drink and a lot of phone numbers...but you aren't going to get laid.