JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   I'm going to japan!!! (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/9022-im-going-japan.html)

esha09hime 10-27-2007 10:41 PM

I'm going to japan!!!

Not right now, but one day I will. I'm 16 currently and I’m starting to learn Japanese.I want to go to Japan after 4 years of collage (or maybe even during). I already know that I don’t need a visa to stay there for 3 months or less but I wondering what are the steps to become a legal Japanese citizen?
Does it take long? Is it hard to become one?:confused:

MMM 10-27-2007 10:49 PM

You will never become a legal citizen. I think you mean a permanent resident.

Hatredcopter 10-27-2007 11:32 PM

You certainly can become a legal, Japanese citizen, with voting rights and the right to run for office and everything. The process to become a naturalized citizen is a long and complicated process, but it's certainly something you CAN do -- just look at Arudou Debito's site.

That said, permanent residency probably IS what the original poster is probably asking about, because becoming a citizen is a whole other ordeal that comes AFTER getting permanent residency.

Permanent residency information -> Here
Becoming a real citizen -> Here

TokyoFerrari 10-29-2007 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esha09hime (Post 278898)
Not right now, but one day I will. I'm 16 currently and I’m starting to learn Japanese.I want to go to Japan after 4 years of collage (or maybe even during). I already know that I don’t need a visa to stay there for 3 months or less but I wondering what are the steps to become a legal Japanese citizen?
Does it take long? Is it hard to become one?:confused:

what country are you from?

Airwave 10-29-2007 04:52 AM

Becareful about that. I'm not saying Japan is a bad place at all (I'm part Japanese myself), but I do know that many countries don't let you hold dual citizenship.

MMM 10-29-2007 05:47 AM

You can have a dual-citizenship between Japan and the US until the age of 18. But I have heard people extending those longer because neither country checks with each other. So people fly in on one passport, and leave on the other, and can renew both forever.

Airwave 10-29-2007 05:48 AM

Hmmm....seems like too much to worry about in my opinion though.

TokyoFerrari 10-29-2007 05:50 AM

Get a perm visa, end of story. If you use a visa lawyer, you are almost 100% getting the visa anyway.

MMM 10-29-2007 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoFerrari (Post 280100)
Get a perm visa, end of story. If you use a visa lawyer, you are almost 100% getting the visa anyway.

Unless you have a burning desire to vote in Japanese elections, there is no difference.

Hatredcopter 10-29-2007 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 280097)
You can have a dual-citizenship between Japan and the US until the age of 18. But I have heard people extending those longer because neither country checks with each other. So people fly in on one passport, and leave on the other, and can renew both forever.

Yes, this is a loop hole that I've heard of as well. It does work, but the risk is that if you fall into trouble with the law, that's when you'll likely be caught, and subsequently get into trouble with BOTH countries. Not worth the risk, I'm afraid.