JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kedzi0rs (Offline)
New to JF

Studying in The Tokyo Univeristy - 10-28-2007, 12:03 PM

Hello there.
I'm 17, and I live in Poland. In 1,5 year I will take matura exam. I'm rly thinking about studying in Japan, specially in this university. Is Todai good for Computer Scientists? Did you heard about Polish, who are studying there? Could you gave me any advises about what should I do first. Where should i search for any informations? Do you know url to Todai's Forum ?
Regards
kedzi0rs
(#2 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-28-2007, 12:23 PM

It's like any other Top university... you need great grades, extra curricular activities (sometimes this is more important than grades), and something thats also very important. you need to have a good knowledge of the japanese language!!!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kedzi0rs (Offline)
New to JF

.:. - 10-28-2007, 03:05 PM

I see. I don't know, what are the "curricular activities" i can't find anywhere word "curricular" but I want to say, that I'm learning in very good Polish school. Maybe it's not in top 10, but many famous persons has learned there, and also, last year I was in top 40 of all students there.
In Poland applying to high school's looks different then in Japan. Every one is making one test, called "Matura" and dependent on overall score, you are choosing university, where you can go.
I read, that Todai has got it's own exam. When is she? Could you provide me url to last one?

About my Japanese. I'm learning it very short time, but I easily adopt new information, so if i will do the best i can achieve it.

And i have one more question. How is it in Japan. Does students have to learn in houses or they are making homework in school. In Japan school is very important place of each student, not as in Poland, and they come back to home very late

Regards kedzi0rs
(#4 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-28-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedzi0rs View Post
I see. I don't know, what are the "curricular activities" i can't find anywhere word "curricular" but I want to say, that I'm learning in very good Polish school. Maybe it's not in top 10, but many famous persons has learned there, and also, last year I was in top 40 of all students there.
In Poland applying to high school's looks different then in Japan. Every one is making one test, called "Matura" and dependent on overall score, you are choosing university, where you can go.
I read, that Todai has got it's own exam. When is she? Could you provide me url to last one?

About my Japanese. I'm learning it very short time, but I easily adopt new information, so if i will do the best i can achieve it.

And i have one more question. How is it in Japan. Does students have to learn in houses or they are making homework in school. In Japan school is very important place of each student, not as in Poland, and they come back to home very late

Regards kedzi0rs

Curricular activities can involve many things. being part of a sports team, organising events for school etc etc... anything that you DONT have to do, but its good to do... top universities usualy want to see that you are PRO-active. Which school you come from doesn't really make much difference. University these days is all about you and only you. for example. i went to one of the worst college's in south london but i got accepted to Oxford university.

about the entrance exam etc... you can find all information on the University of Tokyo[HOME]

anything about life in japan itself. i can't answer. i haven't gone yet... my exchange is due to start next year.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kedzi0rs (Offline)
New to JF

.:. - 10-28-2007, 08:34 PM

hmm Exchange could be good. but i don't know if here in POLAND are Universities that are making exchanges with Japan It would me much easier.

And that what you said about schools. I know, that school isn't most important, but in good school they will make you learning more :P

And about activities, I swim very often, go on extra match and English lessons, on gym, and I'm learning extra in my house Japanese and Programming. Now I want also to join Aikido school, but in 3 months I will take Drive licence test, so I'm really busy. Are this activities good ? Maybe not so educative but those all are additional.

Maybe we will met somewhere, sometime in Japan
(#6 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-28-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedzi0rs View Post
hmm Exchange could be good. but i don't know if here in POLAND are Universities that are making exchanges with Japan It would me much easier.

And that what you said about schools. I know, that school isn't most important, but in good school they will make you learning more :P

And about activities, I swim very often, go on extra match and English lessons, on gym, and I'm learning extra in my house Japanese and Programming. Now I want also to join Aikido school, but in 3 months I will take Drive licence test, so I'm really busy. Are this activities good ? Maybe not so educative but those all are additional.

Maybe we will met somewhere, sometime in Japan
ofcourse in poland they have exchanges to japan... you will almost always find a university in every country that will do exchange to japan (especially if its not a third world country)

As for schools, yeah they might teach you better, but learning yourself in a bad school can also look good to people.

thos activities.. they are good, but nothing special about them. Try to join a debate team, try to organise an event for your school or town or something..

When i spoke to my teacher about why tokyo accepted me. she said that, its because i speak 4 languages perfectly, i seem confident and have A LOT of common sense... (they know that i live in france ALONE, i pay for all my studies myself. no help from parents as they are retired)... also i've been giving math, french and physic lessons for about 5 years. and another thing that they liked was the fact that i got a job working in a games shop at 16, and after 3 months they always offered me manager positions etc. They also liked that i organise basketball matches for my school, and that i even organised a International students meeting in this uni.
Another thing that they liked is that i'm the guy that takes ALL foreign students around the university and shows them the campuss and the town etc etc

All of this seemed to impress them more than the fact that i get some of the best grades. My average at uni last year was 18.3/20 ... this is EXTREEMLY high for french education. the next person after me in the year got 16.6

Anyway, the point is, they will try to find out everything about you. they want to know what kind of person you are. and they dont really want you to be a nerd. someone that just reads books and studies and has no life.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Cyclamen (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Cyclamen
10-28-2007, 09:35 PM

hehehehehe

Last edited by Cyclamen : 08-23-2008 at 11:51 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kedzi0rs (Offline)
New to JF

.:. - 10-28-2007, 11:40 PM

Thx a lot guys. Warsaw, is quite good university, but its also a little bit away from my home :P Near me is AGH in Cracov that is the best Computing University in POLAND, but they don't make any exchanges. I like Japan in spite of i never wasn't there, but I read a lot on the internet. Japanese are very kind to other nations

The problem is, that its very expensive. today i realise that one year of learning there would cost over 10000$, but I'm thinking about applying enrolment for scholarship. My cousin has experience in this, because she was studying in France, Italy, UK and Belgium I think she is kind smart, maybe she will help me with that all enrolments, however i would to it myself

Now, I'm going to learn more this year. Tomorrow I will join Physics and Chemistry extra lessons
(#9 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-29-2007, 01:26 PM

The first thing you need to know about studying in University in Japan is the language itself. You need to be good. You need to sit for the JLPT exams to access your level of Japanese.
Then you need to sit for the entrance examination that is conducted by the University itself.
Finally, there is the entrance interview conducted totally in Japanese. There will be about 5 or 6 university officials interviewing you to gauge your language proficiency and your motives in wanting to study there.

Once you have gone through all these stages, and pass them, then you will be accepted by the University.

Most of the time, foreign students will apply for several Universities at once, and see which one will call them for the entrance exam as well as the entrance interview. Bear in mind that not every place that you applied for will call you to sit for their exams. Therefore, by applying to a few Universities, your chances are higher should one or two reject your application.

But still, the most important criteria here is your language ability. Todai is one of the top University in Japan. They are very strict with their entrance exams. Not many foreigners get to go in there. In fact, not many Japanese gets to go in there as well!

As for me, years ago, I went through all that. I got into a university in Japan. I had the same enthusiasm as you are having now.
Good luck to you.

Hokkaido e ikitai........
(#10 (permalink))
Old
kedzi0rs (Offline)
New to JF

.:. - 10-29-2007, 03:51 PM

Ok are you Japanese? did you put a lot afford during your learning from the beginning, or you start learning year, two years before exams to Todai ?