JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
sparky (Offline)
New to JF

Ever lived in a small town in Japan? - 01-21-2007, 11:30 PM

Have you ever lived in a small town in Japan?
How was it?
What were the positive things, what where the negitive things?
Just curious to hear peoples stories.
Thanks

Woo woo woo I am Canadian! Er a Canadian in Japan!
http://www.japanforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=948&dateline=1167312590
Your Current Signature Picture
www.japanlinked.com
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-21-2007, 11:56 PM

No, but I do want to go to Nozawa Onsen and make the ALT there mysteriously disappear so I can have his/her job. But I feel that way about every English teacher living in a ski town. Lucky punks... Bet they don't even like the snow!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-22-2007, 04:08 AM

My husband is originally from an itty bitty town along the northern coast of Japan - literally wedged between mountains and the sea.

While I can`t say that I`ve *lived* there, I`ve certainly spent enough time up there to know what it`s like - we spend a few months up there each year. My experiences are probably partially colored by the fact that my husband is sort of the community 坊ちゃま, but here goes.

The positive; There is a very strong sense of community. Everyone knows who you are, where you live, etc. And most people go out of their help you out, give you free food, etc etc. The atmosphere is extremely friendly, people go to other people`s houses all the time, the children are watched by everyone, etc.
Old customs are alive and kicking and people generally follow them.

The negative: All that community support you receive? You have to reciprocate it. And if you don`t, because everyone is so connected, everyone will hear about it and think badly of you for it. If you don`t know those old customs, or choose not to follow them, you`re thought of badly.
Also... Everyone is busy. The pretty images of the Japanese countryside are a fantasy. There is no calm relaxation. Everyone, everywhere is working 20 hours a day in one way or another - when you are working from your home, there is no end to the workday. People have 10 times the free time in the city.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-22-2007, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Also... Everyone is busy. The pretty images of the Japanese countryside are a fantasy. There is no calm relaxation. Everyone, everywhere is working 20 hours a day in one way or another - when you are working from your home, there is no end to the workday. People have 10 times the free time in the city.
I didn't think it was possible for them to work anymore than what I see where I am. But one thing I noticed about Japanese farmers, they harvest one day and the next they are out putting seed in the ground. They don't even give the soil a chance to rest much less take one themselves.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Iwasan (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Iwasan Send a message via Yahoo to Iwasan
Thumbs up small village(1050yrs old) - 01-22-2007, 04:44 AM

I have lived in a small village for the past 5 1/2 years. advantages: my Japanese has improved greatly and I have learned the anciant ways of life as it was a 1000 yrs ago. I have learned how to grow rice, peanuts, wheat, Soya beans, ect....
disadvantages: Peoples are very conservative and most are still too scared to speak or accept an outsider in there village. Many people are not open to new things. They burn their garbage. not friendly. some people are very kind and accepting . If you are strong willed and never give up, have strong carachter and ability to understand others opinions and when to give yours. Only then would I recomend one to live in a small village.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-22-2007, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasan View Post
They burn their garbage.
The entire country burns their garbage as does Korea and China. The difference is that in cities they send it off to be burned and in the countryside they do it in their yard. I see this all the time since I live on the edge of town and it is quite rural here.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-22-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
I didn't think it was possible for them to work anymore than what I see where I am. But one thing I noticed about Japanese farmers, they harvest one day and the next they are out putting seed in the ground. They don't even give the soil a chance to rest much less take one themselves.
Trust me, they do work more. It may seem like it a lot in the city, but that`s because the people you are seeing around you are generally out because they`re working...
In the countryside, everyone is always working. Even when they`re at home.

For example... My husband`s family. Everyone gets up at 4am, sometimes earlier. Father-in-law heads out to work at 4:30, mother-in-law heads to work at 6, but before that she readies things for work by going to the fish market, as most of the fishermen are getting back at 4. Grandmother is up at 5, and heads out to her field after eating, doing laundry, sorting preserved foods, and cleaning. She gets back at 10 or so, eats an early lunch, prepares her harvest for preservation, then heads to help someone else somewhere... She get`s home around 6 and then does the housework. Work for mother-in-law ends at 5, but she does deliveries until 8. Then after she comes home, she has all the from-home work, marketing, and sales. She`s generally doing that (while hurriedly cooking dinner) until 11.
Father in law gets home around 10 after working all day, does all the calculations, and leftover work that mother in law needed his help with. They all generally collapse around 12.

Everyday. Everyone else around is the same or very similar. Weekends? That`s when you can get the most work done because now the kids are out of school and can help all day...

So, yes, city life is very leisurely in comparison.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

01-30-2007, 03:29 AM

not actually live long, only 2 days. was invited by my former prof. to stay at there place in Chiba-ken , she was currently teaching in Tsukuba Univ. at that time. What I first notice was that, it's so quiet and peaceful. No train ( I mean train is not commonly used compared in Tokyo ), you need to have a car or bike to roam around the area. It's a very nice place to relax and unwind