(#21 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-12-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
Maybe I can steal this thread for a quick question.

If you have a perscription for some medicine in your (foreign country), how would you go about to get it in Japan? I'm not speaking of some weird drug that's restricted or so. Do they have the equivalent of pharmacies or something?
Yes, they do, all over the place. There are dedicated pharmacies, and little pharmacies in most all "drug stores".

However, they will not fill a prescription written outside of Japan. What you do is get a prescription and if possible a note explaining why you need it in your home country, take that to a doctor in Japan (medical terminology is largely identical, drug names - or rather, compound names not brand names - are written identically so the doctor will be able to read it without translation.) and get him to write the equivalent prescription in Japanese... And take that to a pharmacy if they don`t immediately fill it at the doctor`s.

Unless the drug is something which is restricted, then as far as I know it`s a pretty smooth process. If it is something restricted, they will just need to confirm that you do indeed have a condition which requires it.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

06-12-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Yes, they do, all over the place. There are dedicated pharmacies, and little pharmacies in most all "drug stores".

However, they will not fill a prescription written outside of Japan. What you do is get a prescription and if possible a note explaining why you need it in your home country, take that to a doctor in Japan (medical terminology is largely identical, drug names - or rather, compound names not brand names - are written identically so the doctor will be able to read it without translation.) and get him to write the equivalent prescription in Japanese... And take that to a pharmacy if they don`t immediately fill it at the doctor`s.

Unless the drug is something which is restricted, then as far as I know it`s a pretty smooth process. If it is something restricted, they will just need to confirm that you do indeed have a condition which requires it.
Oh ok, seems logical enough. Is it smooth enough to get to see a doctor for that reason, I mean not a long wait-time etc? What about the cost?
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-12-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Oh ok, seems logical enough. Is it smooth enough to get to see a doctor for that reason, I mean not a long wait-time etc? What about the cost?
Yes. Japan does not have long waits for care. Unless it`s something very specialty, just go to a regular doctor`s office - there are tons.
The only significant fee I can think of is the first visit fee that most everywhere charges. (2000 yen or so) The actual writing of the prescription will hardly cost anything, if they decide to charge you at all for it.

As for the cost of the medication, it will really depend upon what it is. The cost will not be reduced by insurance (unless you`re here long term and enter the national health plan), but in general the regular set fees for medications are pretty low to begin with. (Particularly when compared to the US *cough cough*)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

06-12-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Yes. Japan does not have long waits for care. Unless it`s something very specialty, just go to a regular doctor`s office - there are tons.
The only significant fee I can think of is the first visit fee that most everywhere charges. (2000 yen or so) The actual writing of the prescription will hardly cost anything, if they decide to charge you at all for it.

As for the cost of the medication, it will really depend upon what it is. The cost will not be reduced by insurance (unless you`re here long term and enter the national health plan), but in general the regular set fees for medications are pretty low to begin with. (Particularly when compared to the US *cough cough*)
Allright. Yea, 2k yen aint much either. One last thing, having perscription drugs with you when you travel to Japan, do you know anything about that? Who would know about such a thing?

In either case thanks alot for your swift replys, you are truly a resource!
(#25 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

06-13-2008, 06:17 AM

Thanks for the replies, Nyororin. Greatly appreciated
(#26 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-13-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Allright. Yea, 2k yen aint much either. One last thing, having perscription drugs with you when you travel to Japan, do you know anything about that? Who would know about such a thing?

In either case thanks alot for your swift replys, you are truly a resource!
From what I remember, I think a 30 or 60 day supply is alright. They just don't want you rolling in with suitcase full of pills.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2009, 08:09 PM

Sorry for bumping up an old thread. I just wondered how and to who one applies for national health insurance in Japan? What's the process of applying and how long would it take for the coverage to take affect? This may seem like a strange question but I was planning on going to Japan and heard the national insurance is compulsory, but have no idea how one would go about obtaining it.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-10-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Sorry for bumping up an old thread. I just wondered how and to who one applies for national health insurance in Japan? What's the process of applying and how long would it take for the coverage to take affect? This may seem like a strange question but I was planning on going to Japan and heard the national insurance is compulsory, but have no idea how one would go about obtaining it.
It does not cover tourists, but if you are going there to work your employer will help you get set up.