JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

Japan Survival Course - 11-11-2007, 01:16 PM

I am very close to starting my own Japan Survival Course. The course will involve full immersion into Japanese culture with no backup.

The reason is this. I have recently lost my job and now I am going to lose my flat. All ties are cut and I have no restrictions on my choices. Getting a new flat and job in london is pretty much the same in any country, so why not try a place I have always wanted to live, Japan.

I have a good skill set and I am naturally a quick learner. My active skill sets/profession are Network infrastructure engineer, Recording engineer, Theatre sound and lighting engineer, TV/Film sound post production engineer. I was also Lead Engineer for one of the UK's largest data centres.

I have enough savings to stay alive in any city for a year minimum without work. I feel that even with the language barrier I would be able to find a wage that one could live on in that year.

I also feel that by commiting to live in Japan I would have no alternative but to learn the language and learn it fast. This is why I have been looking at other less cosmopolitan areas of Japan than Tokyo.

I do have other options like the USA as I have family there but I have always dreamed of Japan. Mabey it is time to get off my ass and do something about it. Hey, I will have no choice in under two weeks anyway.
(time to start getting work visas)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-11-2007, 01:54 PM

No offense intended, but I HIGHLY doubt you`re going to be able to come up with a working visa in 2 weeks. The job comes first, and then the visa. Even if you find a job in Japan today, it takes longer than that to process the visa.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

11-11-2007, 02:19 PM

I do have the option of USA for a few months and at £ to $ rates as they stand I would be a winner while I sort out my Japanese visa and permits. I am also looking to take a CCNA and CCNP cisco course that I hope would be an advantage in Japan.
My thinking is this...
Go USA and stay for 3 months with friends and relatives (florida and New Hampshire) and take my CCNA and CCNP there. Also sort out visas and permits for Japan.
Fly back to UK and stay with brother for two weeks.
Then hit Japan with my remaining funds.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

11-12-2007, 01:39 AM

Google "Tokyo recruiting" and then submit to them (recruiting firms) your CV or resume. There are a lot of firms in Japan that do recruiting for multinationals and they may be able to find a job that suits you. Remember when you first come over on a tourist visa, it only lasts for three months. So if you get the job after coming to Japan, you only have three months to do so. I strongly suggest finding an employer and having the visa before you arrive.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

11-13-2007, 10:44 PM

Thanks for that Jason. I have now made a decision to do 2 crash courses in Florida. These courses apply world wide as most of the work is IP addresses.
I should pass these with ease and that will give me a basic wage of £35k+ in any country with the upper limit in the 70k band.

When I have these qualifications I will send out my details to japanese agencies and see what happens. I have worked for Reuters before and know they have a base in Tokyo so I might be able to ask some friends for contact names.

Again, Thanks.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
11-14-2007, 02:07 AM

You didn't graduate from a Japanese university - that will give you a helping hand because it means you actually studied hahaha!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

11-16-2007, 03:36 AM

Lets see...
Left school at 14 to go work for a games company making games for spectrum, C64 and amstrad
Burned out at 18, worked in public sector untill 22
Installed Pc's for clients for a PC hire firm.
Recording engineer (pro level UK live and studio work)
Post Production Sound engineer (TV, Commercials, Film)
Theatre, Head Sound and Lighting Engineer (Several London shows)
Audio visual installation engineer.
Cat5e/Cat6 network infrastructure engineer.
Nordex/Belden Fibre Engineer
Fluke Certification tester
Lead Engineer, 1st level support for a large data centre

Never been to Uni. Self educated past the age of 12.

I could go on alot more.

I feel that I could throw myself at anything and do well, so I am going to have a go and kick some cisco ass

Last edited by odonata : 11-16-2007 at 03:42 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
11-16-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonata View Post
Never been to Uni. Self educated past the age of 12.

Am I right in thinking you need a degree to get a working visa over here??? Might be a problem if so...
(#9 (permalink))
Old
DesiredMess (Offline)
.Infront of Persona.

11-16-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
Am I right in thinking you need a degree to get a working visa over here??? Might be a problem if so...
I've been on a lot of sites...and well, it's a lotl easier to find a job over there if you do. I've been researching it (wanting to go there someday myself) Japanese lifestyle and work visas for quite a while. Most foreigners who go over there are college graduates. But if you don't think that'll stop you.... By all means. I wish you luck and please update us on things.

Videogame junkie extraordinaire. I often need help getting snapped back into reality, so bare with me.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
DesiredMess (Offline)
.Infront of Persona.

11-16-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
You didn't graduate from a Japanese university - that will give you a helping hand because it means you actually studied hahaha!
I thought Japanese universities were hard..well, atleast to get into..

Videogame junkie extraordinaire. I often need help getting snapped back into reality, so bare with me.