JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DanInJapan (Offline)
New to JF

Smile Can anyone help with accomodation advice? - 11-12-2007, 06:40 AM

Hey Everyone!!

I'm Dan from Australia, I am new to Japan and I am currently commuting about 5 hours a day between Fukusaki and Rokko Island, that incorporated with the long Japanese workday is really starting to take it's toll on me so I am looking to find some sort of weekday accomodation near my work and go home to Fukusaki for the weekends.

Unfortunately this is my first contract job in Japan and I can't speak Japanese yet so my pay isn't all that great just yet - so budgeting for this move is kind of important.. In other words - I need a place that won't cost too much.

Can anyone give me an idea on locations near Rokko, Sumiyoshi, Sannomiya or other that may be suitable? or ways that I can find the information? I'm kind of at a loss.. and with the rail pass expenses at almost Y50,000 a month - I would really like to find something this month.

Looking forward to your advice
Dan.in.japan

Dan In Japan
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-12-2007, 06:45 AM

Haruna Fudosan

I am not sure what you do for a living, but that is out of control. You should really talk to your company about moving. Assuming they are hosting your visa, they should really help you make different arrangements. You didn't say, are you living alone, or with a wife and family?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

11-12-2007, 06:52 AM

my travelling time to work is around 3-4 hours a day too.. its really tiresome though, but don't have any problem with ticket though

can't your company supply you with living information?? it would be easy if you have a company to back you up...

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

11-12-2007, 06:59 AM

And to think that I actually used to complain about my 20 minute walk to school through the rain.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
DanInJapan (Offline)
New to JF

Red face 11-12-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Haruna Fudosan

I am not sure what you do for a living, but that is out of control. You should really talk to your company about moving. Assuming they are hosting your visa, they should really help you make different arrangements. You didn't say, are you living alone, or with a wife and family?
I am normally an IT Project Manager and the job I am doing at the moment is basically co-ordinating Global IT Support for all of Japan. I have a problem with talking to my Contract Agency - they don't speak English and I can't speak Japanese, as with many of the people I work with every day..

At the moment I am living with my wife who is Japanese and 10 members of her family who also don't speak English. So I have a Spouse Visa. I have finally convinced my wife - albeit reluctantly that me moving closer to work to reduce travel time and cost, increase overtime and allow for sane sleep levels is a workable idea.

Dan In Japan
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-12-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInJapan View Post
I am normally an IT Project Manager and the job I am doing at the moment is basically co-ordinating Global IT Support for all of Japan. I have a problem with talking to my Contract Agency - they don't speak English and I can't speak Japanese, as with many of the people I work with every day..

At the moment I am living with my wife who is Japanese and 10 members of her family who also don't speak English. So I have a Spouse Visa. I have finally convinced my wife - albeit reluctantly that me moving closer to work to reduce travel time and cost, increase overtime and allow for sane sleep levels is a workable idea.
SO you are a contractor? In my experience, employees rarely pay for thier travel expenses, the contractee should be covering that. I used to get paid almost 10,000 a month to visit one place once a week, and I rode my bicycle there.

I am not sure how you got to be working for these people when you don't speak Japanese and they don't speak English, but you either need to get the go-between you have on it, or get your wife on it. They are probably assuming you don't mind the commute because you haven't said anything. If you have a spouse visa, it may be time to be looking at other work options. (and living arrangements. I'd go nuts.)

Japanese are used to long commutes, but I have NEVER heard of anyone putting up with 5 hours a day.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
adama (Offline)
JF Regular

11-12-2007, 03:00 PM

I second MMM's post. I've worked contract before and employer paying for transportation is standard. And I'm waaay down the totem pole from IT.

Also, you definitely need to move if that job of yours is going to continue. I do 2hrs of train commute time a day plus 1/2 hr walking each way for a total of 3 hrs, and even that is enough to make me want to punch the occasional newspaper-flitting ossan right in the gullet. FIVE hours?! That's nuts. I used to live in Katayama-cho, 15 mins. to Sannomiya, principal station that will take you straight to Rokko Island. Our place was pretty spacious and in the 7-8man a month neighborhood. I strongly recommend looking for some other options, friend!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
11-12-2007, 03:28 PM

wow, I thought my 45min commute to Shinjuku was a pain in the ar5e... must be a nightmare travelling that long
(#9 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

11-13-2007, 01:34 AM

am also a contractual in IT business, I get to be send to different companies depending upon the project, but Ive got no problem with travelling expenses, everything is provided.. im not going to pay 30,000yen/month for my ticket plus am travelling 3-4 hours a day.. better check your contract.. it should be there..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------