JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruko (Offline)
JF Regular

Looking for friends interested in Traditional Japan! - 06-13-2008, 07:20 AM

I have been making a search for people who interested in the traditional aspects of Japan. Things like Kimono and Geisha intrigue me more then animation I guess. I've found that not too easy to find people who are interested in such subjects, and I'm wondering if a few people here could be found. : )
(#2 (permalink))
Old
IonFortuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to IonFortuna Send a message via Skype™ to IonFortuna
06-13-2008, 07:27 AM

I like everything Japanese, even traditional!! I have seen a movie about Geishas!!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruko (Offline)
JF Regular

06-13-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFortuna View Post
I like everything Japanese, even traditional!! I have seen a movie about Geishas!!
Oooh, which one? There's been several. MoaG was pretty, but not exactly the most authentic. It was like a California Roll, it tasted good, but wasn't authentic. :P~~~

I seen Maiko-han a few months ago, it was hilarious. . . Sakuran, which wasn't a Geisha flick, but a flick on Courtesans was very good as well. There's a few older movies that deal with Geisha too, like "My Geisha," very good, btw, as well as "The Barbarian and the Geisha." That has John Wayne in it, and was very good as well, though not completely true and accurate to the history.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
06-13-2008, 08:10 AM

I have a strong interest in the traditional things of Japan. Especially, I've taken an interest in calligraphy and the styles of Martial Arts that developed in Japan prior to the Meiji Restoration. I love learning about where all of their modern traditions come from and the history behind the modern ones and the original ones.

You're not alone !

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-13-2008, 08:18 AM

I enjoy visiting the various parks and temples here. I've watched the kabuki at the large theater in Ginza, and I've attended a small party where geisha sang, played shamisens, and poured drinks. I stayed last year at a traditional in (Ryoukan) in Hakone, and enjoyed a soak in the outdoor hot springs before eating a huge traditional meal served by a maid dressed in a kimono.

Though I'm not Japanese, I dress in a hakama when attending the many local festivals. The festival people enjoy my enthusiasm, and I've often been asked to sit in with them when they take pictures.

I plan to go to the Imperial Palace next month to watch the Kendo competition which is held there from time to time. I watched it last year, and I was impressed with the speed and strength shown in the fighting, it was much more real than the Kendo I practiced in America.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
IonFortuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-13-2008, 08:33 AM

"Memoirs of a Geisha"

It was a really good movie!!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruko (Offline)
JF Regular

06-13-2008, 08:42 AM

I wear Kimono myself. I have a very large kimono collection ( and because of it, a very small bank account. . . ).

I will be going to Japan next year as part of an exchange program. I am an anthropology Major and my field is in Geisha. ^^

I also run a forum on Geisha, and Kimono as well. : )
(#8 (permalink))
Old
IonFortuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-13-2008, 08:47 AM

I have always wanted to wear a Kimono!!

I have also always wanted to visit Japan!!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Josie (Offline)
New to JF

06-18-2008, 12:58 PM

I love all aspects of Japanese history particularly the Edo and Meiji periods. The culture was beautiful (and still is). I really like reading about the wars that went on then.
I'm fascinated by Geisha, in fact I went to a masquerade ball dressed up as one! I've watched MoaG and have the book too. I wasn't sure how accurate it portrayed things though, I guess you have to expect a bit of sensationalism in books and movies,
I also like modern Japanese horror movies.
I joined the forum as I'd like to learn the language and I figure I can get a lot of advice here.

Josie
(#10 (permalink))
Old
NekoRini (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to NekoRini
^.^ - 06-19-2008, 11:55 PM

the traditions and culture of Japan interest me alot too
^.^

Rini