JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Looking for Friends Ads (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/looking-friends-ads/)
-   -   Vietnamese in Japan? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/looking-friends-ads/24876-vietnamese-japan.html)

VicPham 05-01-2009 02:53 AM

Vietnamese in Japan?

Are there any Vietnamese in Japan? I have been living here for a year and have not yet meet anybody. Such a large city but a lonely life. :confused:

alanX 05-01-2009 02:57 AM

I'm curious, are you in Japan teaching English? Or what?

Anyways. My girlfriend has never mentioned Vietnamese in Japan, she often mentions the large amounts of Chinese and Korean though.

VicPham 05-01-2009 03:04 AM

No. I am not teaching English out here. I just work out here for a few years then I leave. Finding a Vietnamese community out here in Tokyo is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Nyororin 05-01-2009 07:41 AM

I don`t know about Tokyo, but there is a small Vietnamese community near me. Or at least there appears to be one - there are 2 small restaurants run by Vietnamese families and a small (very small!) corner sort of shop selling foods from Vietnam all in the same small area.
I would imagine that there is enough of a community to keep the shop alive...

I am going to guess that there is a larger community in Tokyo, but as you say, finding it may be difficult. You might try looking around for Vietnamese restaurants that are "authentic" (run by real Vietnamese) and asking there. The owners will have likely been in Japan a long time and will have a lot of connections.

Good luck - I hope you are able to find a community for support. :D

ETA; Here is a link you might want to check. JVCA 財団法人 日本・ベトナム文化交流協会

delacroix01 05-02-2009 04:51 AM

Well, there are Vietnamese people in Japan, but not so many. I know some Vietnamese people who are studying or working in Japan. Some are in Tokyo, and some are in Kobe or Osaka. You may find them on some Vietnamese forums like gamevn. :)

alanX 05-02-2009 05:21 AM

How do Vietnamese even stay in Japan legally? Cause I think they only have the 6 month visa... how do they just go around owning shops like you said Nyororin? confusing.... orz.

But anyways, It's rare to even see Vietnamese in the states around my area. I think I've only met one.

Kenpachi11 05-02-2009 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 708531)
How do Vietnamese even stay in Japan legally? Cause I think they only have the 6 month visa... how do they just go around owning shops like you said Nyororin? confusing.... orz.

But anyways, It's rare to even see Vietnamese in the states around my area. I think I've only met one.

there is quite a few where i live.

Nyororin 05-02-2009 06:46 AM

Quote:

The same way there are small English schools run by native English speakers?

There are countless ways to stay legally. I didn`t say these people came over one day started a shop and that was it. Remember, pretty much anyone can apply for permanent residency after being in Japan legally for some amount of time.

Come to Japan as a student with a student visa, get a job and change to working visa, work for so many years then apply for PR and you`re free to do as you wish.
Or maybe they are children of long term residents...
Or maybe they are married to a Japanese citizen.
Or maybe they are the dependent family of someone here on a different visa...
etc etc.

Shadowwolf 05-04-2009 10:50 AM

yeah theres is a couple, I live in Japan and my ex is Vietnamese. She dosent have too much vietnamese friends either, but I guess they are scattered in various places.

kMal 05-04-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Probably because they would get citizenship?