JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DannyDuhzet (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to DannyDuhzet
Red face Going To Japan In Jan 2010!! - 10-09-2009, 01:44 AM

Well I am hoping thats the case.. I am hopefully going to Japan this upcoming january.. I am supposed to go with a couple of friends but i honestly dont think they will be coming cause i doubt they are gonna do what they have to in oder to make this trip possible.. Here is my deal.. I am Chilean (CHILE) Male,25 years old from Los Angeles California. I am going to japan cause i would like some change and adventure in life. I am going on a tourist visa but im planning on living there.. yes, yes i know its risky. but whatever! lifes a risk no? anyway I am pretty much gonna wing it out there. I will have very limited funds and maybe a place to stay for a month if im lucky.. What im planning to accomplish out there is to get paid for what i love to do.. I have read/seen/heard that the japanese really like the american culture. And all that we have to offer. I am a graffiti writer from LA have been doing graff since i was 12 and now am 25 and have had a pretty long graff career. Out here it is frowned upon and evryone and there momma writes (does graffiti) out here. I saw a documentary in 2002 where some writers went out there and were selling their graff'd up shoes for around 400 bucks. and also graff'd up hats etc etc.. this is what i want to do.. Along with trying to sell my music, cause i also MC. Im thinking things will work out if i really did try and hustle. Which is why i am here.. Looking to network with Japanese or other heads that might be able to share some knowledge on places to set up shop or just basic info of the area.. I dont know the language even tho im trying my best to learn from a english to japanese dictionary. so im sure i will have alot of problems if i am out there solo..especially dealing with the culture shock and being homesick..AWWWW..haha.. but even if i am.. i think i can manage. Im hoping this site wil help me find some people that are like-minded to meet and hang out and learn from.. I am a verry laid back individual, kind hearted and all kinds of other nice non threatning things.. So im looking forward to hearing from someone on here especially if ur a cute japanese chick hehe well heres a link to my page for music and more on me.. Myspace.com/eggsone
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-09-2009, 02:02 AM

Welcome to the forums.

I think your dream is interesting, but I want to give you a little info before the hawks swarm in.

Overstaying your 90 day visa is up to you, but keep in mind when you are caught you will be arrested, jailed, then put on a plane for the US with a stamp in your visa saying you can never come back.

You will not be able to rent an apartment because people with a tourist visa cannot sign year long leases.

Graffiti artists are not in demand. I think your ideas about Japan's fascination with the US is set in the mid-80s when there weren't as many foreigners in Japan and there was a lot of liquid cash to spend.

The recession we are experiencing in the US is also happening in Japan, so the number of people willing to pay $400 for custom made graffiti shoes from an unknown Chilean-American artist is not very high in 2009.

On top of that, you don't speak Japanese, so there will be no setting up shop. At best you could be a street vendor, but the first time a cop comes up....well, that's it.

Japan regulates immigration very closely. When I moved into my apartment in Japan it was only a couple days before the police showed up to let me know where the local police station was, but also to subtly let me know they knew where I live.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
DannyDuhzet (Offline)
New to JF

10-09-2009, 02:25 AM

Last edited by DannyDuhzet : 10-09-2009 at 02:27 AM. Reason: posted twice
(#4 (permalink))
Old
DannyDuhzet (Offline)
New to JF

10-09-2009, 02:26 AM

Good looking on the advice.. Im not under the impression where i will be making that amount of cash, but something decent where i can live eat and be while i am out there.. Im not fancy nor do i need fancy things. And yeah that was in 02 bro.. not 82. im nameless out there granted, but im under the impression that the japanese are into aunthenticity and detail.. the fact that i am real, established, graff writer from LA offering hand painted kicks and stuff, makes me different than Echo and Tribal type gear. A hustle is a hustle, people make tens of thousands giving spiritual dolphin lesson's in the desert, so its all about how i sell myslef and my product. thats not what worries me.. but thats neither here nor there. I plan on using one of those spots that offer housing for up to 3 months with out a guarantor or key holding fees or whatever its called.. Sakura-house.com offers this service.. so im thinking if things dont work out in those 3 months then back to the states i go G! and yeah man thats what i meant by setting up shop, as a street vendor.. maybe performing my music and shit like that for people to throw coins at me haha.. possibly selling my CD's. I know im not going in the best conditions but hey it is what it is.. If anything its a life experience and thats worth its weight in gold. Anywho im just trying to meet people out there that i might be able to network with.. kick it and chill. and learn from.. who knows maybe meet a distributor or boutique owner or whatever.. the possibilties are endless! But hey man i reallly really really appreciate your feedback.. Much appreciated.. Oh and by the way are there alot of Chubby cute girls out there? im a sucker for big girls haha.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-09-2009, 04:32 AM

How much cash are you bringing with you?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
DannyDuhzet (Offline)
New to JF

10-09-2009, 04:22 PM

Enough to survive for a month or so.. maybe 2 grand. 3, if im lucky.. and 1500 is going to rent for one month the rest for getting around, eating, and materials for what i want to do. Intense right!?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Zanxza (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Zanxza
Money - 10-09-2009, 05:49 PM

Well you could work online and receive payments on your credit card or bank account then access it from there,If you're new to it I don't think you'll make more than a couple of bucks,But I don't mind helping you feel free to PM me.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
DannyDuhzet (Offline)
New to JF

10-13-2009, 01:31 AM

Working online would be ideal.. but i would need to be there physically to establish something solid.. But im not closed to the idea.. What exactly do you sell online?

Myspace.com/EggsOne
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-13-2009, 02:23 AM

1500 for room and board may get you through a month, so 20 to 30 dollars a day for food (you probably won't have a kitchen) then maybe 10 to 30 dollars a day for transportation if you are going to look for work. So at 2 grand you will be out after 10 days...3 grand can get you to the end of the first month in Tokyo.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MC9876 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-13-2009, 09:10 AM

If it's possible, I would save up some extra cash, so you have some time to look for a job/ set up a business. It's not really expensive, but it isn't cheap either.

Good luck man! You should follow your goals and and try to realize them