JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
chronophile (Offline)
New to JF

Dating advice (yep, a body hair question) - 11-06-2009, 05:08 AM

So a year or two after college I'm thinking about moving to japan to be an ESL teacher. Sounded like a pretty cool way to get some world experience, if anyone's interested here's a link (or just google it there's a bunch of sites).

Teaching English in Japan

Anyway, If I'm not in a relationship before I move there, I'd like to try dating in japan. However, my handful of Japanese lady friends on the net seem to be completely opposed to dating a guy who's got any more body hair than the average 8 year-old boy. I have about as much body hair as the next 20 something guy (legs, arms a little on the chest and a thin happy trial, plus I'm part Spanish so the hair's dark), but is it really an issue that'll deter every Japanese girl?

One of my net friends is trying to convince me to get waxed from head to toe or lasered. That's definitely not my favorite idea in the world, but I'd consider it if a little chest fuzz makes me an undatable leper over there.

Anybody with experience or opinions in this area?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-06-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronophile View Post
So a year or two after college I'm thinking about moving to japan to be an ESL teacher. Sounded like a pretty cool way to get some world experience, if anyone's interested here's a link (or just google it there's a bunch of sites).

Anyway, If I'm not in a relationship before I move there, I'd like to try dating in japan. However, my handful of Japanese lady friends on the net seem to be completely opposed to dating a guy who's got any more body hair than the average 8 year-old boy. I have about as much body hair as the next 20 something guy (legs, arms a little on the chest and a thin happy trial, plus I'm part Spanish so the hair's dark), but is it really an issue that'll deter every Japanese girl?

One of my net friends is trying to convince me to get waxed from head to toe or lasered. That's definitely not my favorite idea in the world, but I'd consider it if a little chest fuzz makes me an undatable leper over there.

The way you describe yourself would not likely be an issue. Obviously Japanese guys have black body hair, too.

Japanese guys tend to be less hairy than western guys, but that doesn't mean they are hairless. Not at all.

I have seen TV shows that say women in Okinawa like hairy guys more than non-hairy guys, so if you are not sure, Okinawa might be the place to go.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-06-2009, 06:12 AM

There are plenty of hairy Japanese guys out there too - just not the numbers that you would find out of Japan...
And they manage to find women willing to date them without much issue.

All Japanese women are not the same, just as all western women are not the same. There will be some who find it unattractive, some who find it attractive, and the majority who don`t really care that much. Would you really want to date someone who would reject you based only on your amount of body hair?

Chances are, women who would be looking to go out with you would be looking at you because you were different anyway.

So unless you`re a total bear with an amount of hair that would be shocking to anyone, I wouldn`t worry about it. Be yourself.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

11-06-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronophile View Post

Mate, my first Japanese GF in 1990 was a hairless beauty. I mean she had a body that would attract any man, the cutest smile and the most gorgeous hair.

She would run her hands through my jungle at night and used to tell me that she is getting used to it.

japanese guys lack body haior in general and my young Japanese students were fasinated with the hair on my arm as I guess their Dad's lacked it.

Yes, most of them may be a little apprehensive of foreign ody hair, but don;t worry. As Nyorin said, they will like you for who and what you are, not your body hair.

Don't wax, stay natural.

I found that Japanese girls had a huge mop on the you know where, and that was a turn off for me..

Cheers - Oz
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-06-2009, 04:19 PM

I find that massaging the area in Hair Conditioner before shaving helps instead of using foam.. just my contribution. Espesh if your gonna shave down south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
I found that Japanese girls had a huge mop on the you know where, and that was a turn off for me..
Although my image of a perfect woman has only hair on her head, change can sometimes be a good thing..?
Except when it gets stuck in your teeth..

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#6 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-07-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
Although my image of a perfect woman has only hair on her head, change can sometimes be a good thing..?
Except when it gets stuck in your teeth..
I just say "I'll shave if you do."
I never had a problem with a Japanese woman complaining about my body hair.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
chronophile (Offline)
New to JF

11-07-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
I just say "I'll shave if you do."
I never had a problem with a Japanese woman complaining about my body hair.
and bELyVIS wins the thread! XD