JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
sunbreaker6 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to sunbreaker6
01-30-2011, 07:35 AM

I agree with the other guy who pointed out, that "10 years old is yet too young to decide and lock on to one dream or aim" - Feel free to dream go to Japan someday when you ready for it, but don't let it be your only dream option.
---

And what comes to degree, I disagree, yet I do...

So listen me out.

I quited my school right after junior high school. With a dream to move to Japan one day, I continued drawing and writing my own Manga series.

Yeah, I got a job nowdays - and that Job will pay my ticket and first year in Japan, but I didn't need school to fullfill my dream. That only would have slowed me down.

Only thing I wished about school was, that I wanted to study japanese language, but in Finland there is no such option.

Next year on 2012 I turn 18 years old. I pack my bags, and move to Japan. Basically I have dreamed of this thing for five years at least. That is a long time, and yet time have gone fast to this day, and still I have my same aim, and I have made my dream possible, without school

Now I don't want to say, that stop going to school, but I say, that it is not going to destroy your future and dreams. You just have to find your way, and belive in it. Just like I did...

True story of your life starts from Japan.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-30-2011, 10:11 PM

why do you want to live inJapan?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-30-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbreaker6 View Post
I quited my school right after junior high school. With a dream to move to Japan one day, I continued drawing and writing my own Manga series.

Yeah, I got a job nowdays - and that Job will pay my ticket and first year in Japan, but I didn't need school to fullfill my dream. That only would have slowed me down.

Only thing I wished about school was, that I wanted to study japanese language, but in Finland there is no such option.

Next year on 2012 I turn 18 years old. I pack my bags, and move to Japan. Basically I have dreamed of this thing for five years at least. That is a long time, and yet time have gone fast to this day, and still I have my same aim, and I have made my dream possible, without school
Just curious, what's your plan to stay there for a year when you can only stay for 90 days on a tourist visa?
(#14 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-30-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbreaker6 View Post
I agree with the other guy who pointed out, that "10 years old is yet too young to decide and lock on to one dream or aim" - Feel free to dream go to Japan someday when you ready for it, but don't let it be your only dream option.
---

And what comes to degree, I disagree, yet I do...

So listen me out.

Now I don't want to say, that stop going to school, but I say, that it is not going to destroy your future and dreams. You just have to find your way, and belive in it. Just like I did...
I hate to burst your bubble here, but you are going to need a visa if you want to live (or have an extended stay probably longer than 3 months) in Japan. And unfortunately without a degree and or a job lined up with a company/employer ready to sponsor your visa, you will not be able to get one and legally be able to live in Japan. You will find yourself deported and probably banned from the country for a while if you overstay the 3 month (tourist visa that everybody gets) period.

So unless you have a Japanese national lined up to marry you, you are going to have to go back to (high school and college) in order to get a degree since that is typically a requirement to get a work visa in Japan.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
DaisukeKigurou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-30-2011, 11:28 PM

I agree with them all, wanting to move to another country takes time and a lot of research. It also comes down to the reason "Why" you want to live in another country like Japan. I have many reasons as to why, but I am afraid I cannot tell you....

Nothing thing you have to understand is, you cannot just "decide" to move to Japan on a whim. It just doesn't happen that way, I know I am sounding like I am repeating myself but hear me out a bit. To actually be interested in moving to Japan you have to have an interest in the culture. Not just the pop culture but, the culture of Japan it'self.

It also helps to be up on the latest news and weather of the country. If you want to go REALLY far learn about Japans rich history, stuff like on different samurai, history on certain ninjas and stuff. Even more then that, becoming friends with people from the country and then working to learn Japanese.

Another thing your going to notice in Japan, is something called Shintohism and Buddhism. Learning about these religions can help you to live in Japan. I am not saying to become a buddhist or Shintohist, just learning about the religions helps you to gain a much better foot hold in Japan, and less to be called a Gajin.

But lets back up this whole comment for a sec, what I really need to tell you is something important. Getting a higher learning of education CAN and will help you to find different job opportunities in Japan. Just like in an other country, Japan does have a lot of opportunities ( prolly even more opportunities, but I might be mistaken * haven't talked to anyone in Japan for a while >_>*) it all comes down to getting AT LEAST a collage education. If you don't have an education, Japan isn't going to hire you AT ALL.

I want to become a writer (mangaka) in Japan, but to do so I have to get through collage and go through some creative writing classes. I also have to work on finding someone who can help illustrate my book. But that's another subject for another day. Again, do you think ANY publisher would hire me if I just (luckly) got a ticket, went to Japan, and then begged for them to read something that is prolly of a much lower grade writing next to better mangakas?

Plus the fact that I haven't even gotten through my education yet? NO, they'd prolly laugh in my face, and then tell me how stupid and foolish it was to come all the way just to have them turn me down because I skipped a few steps. Work on the stuff you need to, then you can work on the other stuff.

BTW, don't let anyone tell you it's wrong to want to travel to another country. People are going to call you horrible names because they think it's wrong, for a person not wanting to live in america.

Names like, "weeboo", "Japanof*g", etc. These people are just closeminded and too comfortable to this country, not only that but they're in denial. Don't listen to them, they have a ton of problems and are usually just stupid-shut ins that screwed up their own life. Or just xenophobic problems.

Never give up, but understand the reason why. Also work hard!!

~苦痛は中心、それはある から来る; 憎む人によって引き起こされる。~
(#16 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

01-31-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisukeKigurou View Post

Nothing thing you have to understand is, you cannot just "decide" to move to Japan on a whim. It just doesn't happen that way, I know I am sounding like I am repeating myself but hear me out a bit. To actually be interested in moving to Japan you have to have an interest in the culture. Not just the pop culture but, the culture of Japan it'self.
I disagree with this because it's what I did. I threw out an application for university here in Japan along with several other American based schools. I didn't have any solid prior cultural knowledge of Japan and learned just the basics of the language before coming. To be honest, all bets from my friends and family would have been Korea since It's where my father lived and there was a lot of Korean influence in my household growing up. I came to Japan on a whim.

Quote:
Names like, "weeboo", "Japanof*g", etc. These people are just closeminded and too comfortable to this country, not only that but they're in denial. Don't listen to them, they have a ton of problems and are usually just stupid-shut ins that screwed up their own life. Or just xenophobic problems.
This is also false. You're just as quick to judge these people as you say they are to judge you. I'm not close minded. I'm not xenophobic. I don't really like anime or manga. "Oh my god??," right? Well, no. I'm living proof that one doesn't have to like that stuff to have an enjoyable time here. But what I don't like are kids who are foolish enough to think that they can pack their bags and move to Japan without a degree (or just working towards a goal) because they think this is a fantasy land. These, my friend, are weeaboos. There's nothing close minded about that. If anything, they're disrespecting Japanese culture because they're undermining the standards and respect people have for the workforce and the hard work it takes to make a life here. They treat Japan like a play place when it's not. Ever think about that?

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#17 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-31-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
It also helps to be up on the latest news and weather of the country. If you want to go REALLY far learn about Japans rich history, stuff like on different samurai, history on certain ninjas and stuff. Even more then that, becoming friends with people from the country and then working to learn Japanese.

Another thing your going to notice in Japan, is something called Shintohism and Buddhism. Learning about these religions can help you to live in Japan. I am not saying to become a buddhist or Shintohist, just learning about the religions helps you to gain a much better foot hold in Japan, and less to be called a Gajin.
I disagree a little here too. Honestly you do not need to know jack squat about Japanese history. In fact I would say your average Japanese does not really know too much about their own history. Focus on the language, and learn the history (beyond the basics) only if you happen to have a real interest in it.

And about being less of a Gaijin... If you are white, you will been seen as a gaijin no matter how much language, culture, shintoism etc you learn. Knowing some of these things will make your life easier, and more enjoyable but you will not be seen as any less of gaijin by knowing them.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
AlfieA (Offline)
New to JF

01-31-2011, 03:32 AM

Well to me the crazy work hours and draconian tax rates make Japan a big no no for residency.

Much like Australia (and probably to a greater degree), their aging population means the current/younger workers will at the end of the day, have to pay for the elderly and fund their own retirement.

Sure, Japan is a nice place to live in, but you should also have a think about the downsides as well.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-31-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
To actually be interested in moving to Japan you have to have an interest in the culture. Not just the pop culture but, the culture of Japan it'self.
Actually you don't. I have lived here 7 years and was never and am still not overly interested in the culture. I obviously live within that culture but it had little to do with me moving here. I'm into snow and mountains and Hokkaido offers plenty of both. It's why I moved here and why I have stayed for so long. The lifestyle has been fantastic.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-31-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Actually you don't. I have lived here 7 years and was never and am still not overly interested in the culture. I obviously live within that culture but it had little to do with me moving here. I'm into snow and mountains and Hokkaido offers plenty of both. It's why I moved here and why I have stayed for so long. The lifestyle has been fantastic.
I agree, you don't have to be interested in an culture in order to live among it, its probably a good reason to, but not a must. I always wanted to live in japan because of its role in the technologicacl world, failing to find a job, i gave up on this idea (Though I try to visit every year on vacation)... That said, I am also interested in its culture, but thats not my reason for wanting to live there..... its more like a situation where I want to live there for one thing, and having an interest in its culutre made the thought more "acceptable"