JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

Homosexuality in Japan [DSX story ideas] - 10-13-2008, 04:04 AM

Not that I'm doing it, it's only for a story I plan on writing.

What I have planned is that there are two (teenage: one is 17, the other is 18, older by seven months and twenty days) girls who have been best friends since they were five.

The two were basically inseperable, and in their teen years they became unusually close for just best friends. Especially since one is an overall good girl (vegetarian, pacifist, loves animals, etc), and the other is all goth and dark.

So the good one moves away for a while, and the goth one really misses her, and that's when she realizes that she's a lesbian (heh, her name is Yuri too, go figure).

Otome (the good one, obviously), at first didn't want to go that far, and then...

I know with yuri anime and manga, there's no problem with it. But what about real-life lesbisn couples in Japan? Realism is what I'm going for.

So?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-13-2008, 04:09 AM

I am not sure I understand the question.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
10-13-2008, 04:12 AM

I'm pretty confused here? Are you asking how if or if not gay/lesbians are accepted in Japan?

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#4 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

10-13-2008, 04:19 AM

How is it looked upon? Is it accepted or not?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-13-2008, 04:22 AM

It really depends on who you talk to. In my experience, it is more tolerated in Japan than most Americans think. There are gay clubs and gay bars, etc.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

10-13-2008, 04:24 AM

Wow...With what I was thinking, I might have made it some sort of a forbidden romance story.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-13-2008, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX View Post
Especially since one is an overall good girl (vegetarian, pacifist, loves animals, etc), and the other is all goth and dark.
Incredibly cliche lesbian stuff. Not all lesbians are goths/punks/hippies

Quote:
So the good one moves away for a while, and the goth one really misses her, and that's when she realizes that she's a lesbian (heh, her name is Yuri too, go figure).
You named her Yuri? *cringe* I sense some problems with a high-school male writing a lesbian story, heh

If they're Japanese, I imagine the reaction to be something like "What, so you think you're special? Quit trying to be unique"

If you want forbidden romance, make them Arab Good luck with your work!

Last edited by Keaton421 : 10-13-2008 at 04:32 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
amuchan (Offline)
Panda Bear ♥♥

10-13-2008, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It really depends on who you talk to. In my experience, it is more tolerated in Japan than most Americans think. There are gay clubs and gay bars, etc.
Hmm I never knew that! I thought it was greatly looked down upon.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

10-13-2008, 04:30 AM

1. Cliche? The two are almost total opposites in personality. I'm doing the opposites attract kinda thing...Kinda...

2. Yuri is a common girl's name in Japan, last time I checked. I gave Yuri her name to present irony. Seeing as how Yuri=lilies in translation, and Yuri is so dark....

EDIT: Yuri isn't totally what you think. Sure, she's tomboyish, but she isn't butch. The two are both femmes, it's just that Yuri is kinda the man in this one...

I guess you can call Otome a hippie. She just doesn't do drugs though. That, and she has much better fashion sense then to wear headbands and clothes with those trippy colors.

Oh, and I don't wanna make them Arab. It'll mess up the storyline for what I have planned. It'll VERY mess it up.

Last edited by DSX : 10-13-2008 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Didn't see the "Not all lesbians are goths/punks/hippies" thing
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-13-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Wow...With what I was thinking, I might have made it some sort of a forbidden romance story.
You still can. I think it would probably be hard to be out in high school in Japan, just as it is in the US.