JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Member Art & Creativity (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/member-art-creativity/)
-   -   Homosexuality in Japan [DSX story ideas] (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/member-art-creativity/19987-homosexuality-japan-%5Bdsx-story-ideas%5D.html)

DSX 10-13-2008 04:04 AM

Homosexuality in Japan [DSX story ideas]

Not that I'm doing it, it's only for a story I plan on writing.

What I have planned is that there are two (teenage: one is 17, the other is 18, older by seven months and twenty days) girls who have been best friends since they were five.

The two were basically inseperable, and in their teen years they became unusually close for just best friends. Especially since one is an overall good girl (vegetarian, pacifist, loves animals, etc), and the other is all goth and dark.

So the good one moves away for a while, and the goth one really misses her, and that's when she realizes that she's a lesbian (heh, her name is Yuri too, go figure).

Otome (the good one, obviously), at first didn't want to go that far, and then...

I know with yuri anime and manga, there's no problem with it. But what about real-life lesbisn couples in Japan? Realism is what I'm going for.

So?

MMM 10-13-2008 04:09 AM

I am not sure I understand the question.

kenmei 10-13-2008 04:12 AM

I'm pretty confused here? Are you asking how if or if not gay/lesbians are accepted in Japan? :confused:

DSX 10-13-2008 04:19 AM

How is it looked upon? Is it accepted or not?

MMM 10-13-2008 04:22 AM

It really depends on who you talk to. In my experience, it is more tolerated in Japan than most Americans think. There are gay clubs and gay bars, etc.

DSX 10-13-2008 04:24 AM

Wow...With what I was thinking, I might have made it some sort of a forbidden romance story.

Keaton421 10-13-2008 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSX (Post 606690)
Especially since one is an overall good girl (vegetarian, pacifist, loves animals, etc), and the other is all goth and dark.

Incredibly cliche lesbian stuff. Not all lesbians are goths/punks/hippies

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSX (Post 606690)
So the good one moves away for a while, and the goth one really misses her, and that's when she realizes that she's a lesbian (heh, her name is Yuri too, go figure).

You named her Yuri? *cringe* I sense some problems with a high-school male writing a lesbian story, heh

If they're Japanese, I imagine the reaction to be something like "What, so you think you're special? Quit trying to be unique" :D

If you want forbidden romance, make them Arab ;) Good luck with your work!

amuchan 10-13-2008 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 606705)
It really depends on who you talk to. In my experience, it is more tolerated in Japan than most Americans think. There are gay clubs and gay bars, etc.

Hmm I never knew that! I thought it was greatly looked down upon.

DSX 10-13-2008 04:30 AM

1. Cliche? The two are almost total opposites in personality. I'm doing the opposites attract kinda thing...Kinda...

2. Yuri is a common girl's name in Japan, last time I checked. I gave Yuri her name to present irony. Seeing as how Yuri=lilies in translation, and Yuri is so dark....

EDIT: Yuri isn't totally what you think. Sure, she's tomboyish, but she isn't butch. The two are both femmes, it's just that Yuri is kinda the man in this one...

I guess you can call Otome a hippie. She just doesn't do drugs though. That, and she has much better fashion sense then to wear headbands and clothes with those trippy colors.

Oh, and I don't wanna make them Arab. It'll mess up the storyline for what I have planned. It'll VERY mess it up.

MMM 10-13-2008 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSX (Post 606706)
Wow...With what I was thinking, I might have made it some sort of a forbidden romance story.

You still can. I think it would probably be hard to be out in high school in Japan, just as it is in the US.