JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TheEpicMattBucK (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to TheEpicMattBucK
sweeeet technique - 11-06-2008, 12:49 AM

hey everyone, this is a sweet ass technique that i just learned in my media class and thought i might share. it has been dubbed by our professor the "oil rub".

you will need the following:
  • Strathmore 500 series cold pressed illustration board
  • a pencil no softer than 2b
  • Krylon Workable Fixatif
  • paper towels
  • a kneaded eraser
  • burnt sienna oil paint (Winton is cheap and works well for this)
  • Prismacolor colored pencils (the whiter pastel colors works best for this, but you will also need the darkest one which is Indigo Blue)

here's the process:
  1. make a pencil drawing. don't put in too much detail in the light areas of the drawing just yet
  2. spray the drawing with Krylon Workable Fixatif
  3. wait about ten minutes for it to dry
  4. rub the drawing with your finger to make sure that no pencil comes off, and if it does spray it some more
  5. take a paper towel and put a good sized dollop of oil paint on it
  6. smear the oil paint over the whole drawing
  7. wipe off the excess with another paper towel so that you have a nice thin even value of oil paint over your drawing
  8. take the kneaded eraser and "erase" out the highlights. the eraser will pick up the oil paint and you can get the paper almost back to white in the lightest areas. you are essentially re-rendering the drawing. you will have about 2 hours of working time before the paint begins to dry
  9. let it dry for about a day for the best results
  10. now the fun part! the color pencils will go down nice and smooth on top of the dry oil paint. don't go too crazy with the colored pencils as you will want some of the burnt sienna showing through, otherwise it will look like a straight colored pencil drawing
  11. if you need to get lighter than the pencils will allow you, you can water down some white acrylic paint and put that on the highlights
here is a practice piece i did after step 8:

and here it is finished:

here is my final for the assignment after step 8:

and here it is finished!

this technique is an unholy amalgamation of medias that shouldn't work together but do. it's tons of fun and ends up looking great better than it should for the amount of time you put into it.
if anybody tries this out please feel free to post it in this thread. i'll give free advice and feedback
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KikiBunny23 (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to KikiBunny23 Send a message via MSN to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Yahoo to KikiBunny23 Send a message via Skype™ to KikiBunny23
11-06-2008, 02:43 AM

the second one looks awesome. [the one with the tail as a tie] If I could draw I would try this but since I ccan't, I'll leave it to the people that can
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

11-06-2008, 03:28 AM

This is really cool! Thank you very much for sharing this technique. I like the end results and I think it'll help a lot of novice artists and people who want to improve.

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780