JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

10-25-2008, 06:51 PM

This was going off topic somewhere else, so I put it here. What is art to you and why is it so?

Last edited by Excessum : 12-24-2008 at 08:16 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

12-23-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSight View Post
No. AMV's are not art. Period. They're creative, and a good AMV contains a lot of creative thought and effort, but calling it art is just patting yourself on the back for creating something that is not original in any way, shape, and form.
Actually AMV's are an art form. Like all art forms they have a theme and just like sculptures that are made from stone, metal or even trash, AMV's are made from anime clips which needs creativity.

I also see AMV's like collage - which is a work of formal art, made from an assemblage of different forms, thus creating a new whole.

Last edited by Aniki : 12-23-2008 at 08:45 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

12-23-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
Actually AMV's are an art form. Like all art forms they have a theme and just like sculptures that are made from stone, metal or even trash, AMV's are made from anime clips which needs creativity.

I also see AMV's like collage - which is a work of formal art, made from an assemblage of different forms, thus creating a new whole.
Art is subjective - there is no point in arguing what is art and what isn't. What is art depends entirely on the viewer. I don't believe AMV's are art, because it doesn't require the amount of artistic ability I believe something is needed to create art. Some people may feel that art is anything creative, whether it's your own work or not - or simply the message portrayed. Everyone sees things differently, but saying that AMVs are on a par with a sculpture is not something I agree with - portraits and sculptures, when done to a certain artistic level require a lot more talent than a well executed AMV does, in my opinion.

In any case, I think all our questions have been answered as far as they will be. They said their 'click' with Japan is not solely based on entertainment, and when I asked her what it is based on, she simply said she does not know her self. So what is the point in questioning her further if she doesn't know the answer?

I will leave this topic open in case other users want to comment on their interest or link with Japan, but let's not keep hitting our heads against brick walls with this.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
12-23-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I don't believe AMV's are art, because it doesn't require the amount of artistic ability I believe something is needed to create art.
Art is art, it doesn't really matter about ability. Isn't a child's scribbles and stick men called art? I'm sure those children don't spend more then three seconds deciding what color they should color a stick man's hair, and probably even less amount of their artistic ability =P

You're right, art depends on the viewer. But ability should never matter when it comes right down to it.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

12-23-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyMePink View Post
Art is art, it doesn't really matter about ability. Isn't a child's scribbles and stick men called art? I'm sure those children don't spend more then three seconds deciding what color they should color a stick man's hair, and probably even less amount of their artistic ability =P

You're right, art depends on the viewer. But ability should never matter when it comes right down to it.
I mean like, a work of art~ It supposed to be good or meaningful, I mean a kiddie drawing is like art but it isn't ART. I don't believe a drawing is a work of art if there is no thought behind it and it's not meaningful or correct. Sure you could argue AMVs have thought behind it but really all it is is sticking clips together in the right places. Anyone can do an AMV, but art is something special and unique to that person. They require ZERO talent or creative process, to be honest. Video editing and media is a different story - you have to think about camera angles, lighting, dialogue - AMVs don't require much of your own work. Film editing is also different because cutting in a film is crucial, in an AMV it's not. Just like someone said - it's like a collage. A collage to me isn't art, it's a collection of ideas that aren't yours.

Last edited by MissMisa : 12-23-2008 at 09:43 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MutsuYakumo (Offline)
JF Regular

12-23-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:

AMV isn't a socially accepted art, if anything it's copyright infringement. Let's come to a compromise and call it a hobby.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

12-23-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutsuYakumo View Post
AMV isn't a socially accepted art, if anything it's copyright infringement. Let's come to a compromise and call it a hobby.
That's what I see it as... something to do when your bored or something. It's a cheap rip off to call it art when someone spends so much time and effort into a sculpture or painting.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
12-23-2008, 09:49 PM

I was actually going to say that myself. You beat me to it, I suppose.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

12-23-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I was actually going to say that myself. You beat me to it, I suppose.
Yeah, don't want threads to go off the rails. In my art lesson we were debating what was art and it's pretty deep stuff so I thought it deserved it's own thread
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

12-23-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:

I disagree. But I won't turn this into an argument about what art is.

My view of this, is... neutral.

Although, I can understand that you feel a "Click" to Japan, I disagree that it happens from a young age. To say so, is where "obsession" comes in, and you need to calm down. The same with reincarnation.

I too had this "Click", but it's different. At first, it was when I was around 7, and I first Japan, I said "I want to live there", and I always thought it was a "click". But it wasn't, it was just a fascination with the country. As I grew, I started getting into the countries history, and culture. In fact, I didn't watch anime until I was around 16. The main reason I feel I "Click" with a country, is because the culture is quite like my own, Turkish culture. There are differences, ofcourse, like relgion, but the morals and those stuff are very like the Turkish Culture. Which is where I get my "Click" from.

In actual fact, this 'click' thing is a bunch of bollocks. The clicks started happening when people with similarities to a country, started getting interested in the country.

There's a difference. There are people who have a similarity in some sort of way with the said country. Then you have the people who are simply obsessed with it and make up excuses to assure themselves.

Personally, if you don't care about the culture, history, language, or way of life, social standings and politics of said country, it's an insult ot say you have a "click" to a country.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -