LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
gavcampbell (Offline)
New to JF

online art project - 01-22-2009, 01:35 AM

1 COPY AND PASTE IMAGE ABOVE .
2. PRINT IMAGE AND CREATE STENCIL .
3. CHOOSE LOCATION AND CREATE YOUR OWN INDEPENDENT LAND BY MARKING OUT YOUR PIECE OF LAND WITH PAINT , MARKER , SPRAY PAINT OR EVEN CHALK .
4. YOUR "COUNTRY" , "SPACE" OR "LAND" SHOULD NOT BE BIGGER THAN A A4 SHEET OF PAPER .
It does not have to leave a permanent mark that is your choice but i would appreciate it if you could take a photograph of your independent "country" , "land" or "space" and email me the photograph of your independent land and were it was taken (which country the piece of land once belonged to ) and who it belongs to now (Your Name). i will then post them with the rest of the collection

( email me at gav_foii@yahoo.com )

*** CREATE YOUR OWN INDEPENDENT LAND AND INTURN SECURE YOUR OWN IDEPENTANT IDENTITY ***

FEDERATION OF INDEPENDENT IDENTITIES

My name is Gavin Campbell , I create art that addresses issues of identity , collective identity, nationality, borders , boundaries and how these can all influence our perception , believes and "truths"

Israelis and Palestinians, governments and insurgents, Protestants and Catholics, whites and blacks, labour and management...these are all examples of identities that have at some times and some places resulted in intractable conflicts. The nature of the collective identities also affects the difficulty in reaching an accommodation between conflicting groups. Members of groups with identities that place a high priority on being honoured and being treated with deference may have difficulty making compromises for or respecting other groups. Furthermore, some self-conceptions relating to ideas of sovereignty, authority, and legitimacy constitute barriers to successful settlement of a conflict.

The idea that your identity can be based solely upon geographical , racial or religious terms is what i want to challenge with this art work. what i propose and ask, is that each person prints out the template provided on this web page , makes a stencil and marks out a piece of land , declaring it their independent "country", "space" or "land" this area will belong solely to you , the history of that piece of land once collectively shared with its surroundings has gone , this land is now your "country" a space that is free from its previous "heritage" , "history" and past aggressions.

the questions that arise from this is ,

> is your identity now attached to this land, a physical object ?

> would you put yourself at risk for this space ?

> Would it effect your decisions ?

> how can a piece of land make you who you are ? e.g. what you like, what you don't like, you perception or believes.

This idea also conceptuality is that if everyone in the world did this , then eventually all the squares will start meeting creating borders , but eventually freeing the world from collective identities. governments , religious body's or any other organisation can not lay claim to doing something in your name ever again, creating a world or a "federation of independent identities".

federation of independent identities