JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Sumi-e Stylin's - 08-06-2009, 12:08 AM

Eeee~ I need to get into this again, but I thought I'd share some of my brushed ink paintings from last year.

Japanese Marsh Orchids. I think that's about the best I've ever got them. You're 'supposed' to be a little abstract with sumi-e but for some reason I can only really 'get' orchids when I paint them exactly as they are.

haha, wild yellow roses. Don't be too 'wooow' over it though, it's a copy of part of a professional piece. Practise and all that~

One of my final pieces. My teacher looked at it and said "huh, you know, 25 years i've been teaching black and white paintings and I think that's the first zebra."
(#2 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
08-06-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Don't be too 'wooow' over it though, it's a copy of part of a professional piece. Practise and all that~
Check the length of your nose.

Quote:
One of my final pieces. My teacher looked at it and said "huh, you know, 25 years i've been teaching black and white paintings and I think that's the first zebra."
Haha you'd figure there'd be more.

Watch out for the bleed on the first one, that's way too much water. Experiment with dry brush techniques; they're fun!

I like the yellow roses. I dunno if it was intentional but the difference in saturation between the ones in the foreground and middleground give it nice depth.

Zebra looks good, I like the blending of very intricate strokes with wide, simple ones. The black ink bleed on the left side is pulling my eye away, though, and it feels like his/her right front leg is unfinished. Otherwise a solid piece.

In the words of every painting teacher I've ever had:

Keep going!

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

08-06-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Check the length of your nose.

Haha you'd figure there'd be more.

Watch out for the bleed on the first one, that's way too much water. Experiment with dry brush techniques; they're fun!

I like the yellow roses. I dunno if it was intentional but the difference in saturation between the ones in the foreground and middleground give it nice depth.

Zebra looks good, I like the blending of very intricate strokes with wide, simple ones. The black ink bleed on the left side is pulling my eye away, though, and it feels like his/her right front leg is unfinished. Otherwise a solid piece.

In the words of every painting teacher I've ever had:

Keep going!
*pats nose* nope, definitely not a wooden puppet. Still a copy
Yeah, the bleed on the stems was a disappointment, but I didn't want them to come out too stark when the flowers were going to be quite light.
The hard copy of the roses is up in my loft so I can't check what I did, but the saturation might be acerbated by the camera angle.

Apparently there hadn't been many penguins till I came along either!

Do you study art? You seem to know a lot!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

08-06-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
*pats nose* nope, definitely not a wooden puppet. Still a copy
No, that was in reference to the Japanese bit where if you brag about yourself, your nose gets long. In my words, 自分で言うな!

Quote:
Do you study art? You seem to know a lot!
Yes. I was an art student in college and I've been working in the art field for some time now. I also studied sumi-e under arguably the best foreign-born (she's from New Jersey, haha) painter in Japan, who studied under some heavy-hitting masters. Doesn't mean that my paintings are the bomb, but I learned a lot from her.

Crap, that reminds me, I think I left my paintings somewhere... I gotta get those. I'll upload some of the keitai shots I took if you want.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

08-07-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
No, that was in reference to the Japanese bit where if you brag about yourself, your nose gets long. In my words, 自分で言うな!

Yes. I was an art student in college and I've been working in the art field for some time now. I also studied sumi-e under arguably the best foreign-born (she's from New Jersey, haha) painter in Japan, who studied under some heavy-hitting masters. Doesn't mean that my paintings are the bomb, but I learned a lot from her.

Crap, that reminds me, I think I left my paintings somewhere... I gotta get those. I'll upload some of the keitai shots I took if you want.
Ah, I see. Not come across that one before.

Thought so! I never really took art beyond uh...anything, really. Gave taught art up before GCSE, but I loved the sumi class i took last year. Makes me wish I hadn't quit it in high school.

Wait, who was your teacher? I learnt in Japan too and I swear mine said she was originally from New Jersey.

Also yes please on the keitai photos.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

08-07-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see. Not come across that one before.

Thought so! I never really took art beyond uh...anything, really. Gave taught art up before GCSE, but I loved the sumi class i took last year. Makes me wish I hadn't quit it in high school.

Wait, who was your teacher? I learnt in Japan too and I swear mine said she was originally from New Jersey.

Also yes please on the keitai photos.
Uhmmm... I think her name was Kathryn or something... She's in her late 50's/60's, smokes like a chimney, coughs something fierce, and has bright yellow hair and wild eyes and wears way too much makeup. If it was the same person, you'd know. XD She's been teaching at Kansai Gaikokugo Daigaku for years now.

Here's the pics I took of mine. Small, but when I track them down in my apartment I'll take better shots.

Hard to see cuz it's small but that's a little fisherman on the end of the dock.

(Yes, it's a hawk chasing down a pikachu)

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

08-07-2009, 07:15 PM

HA! Yeah! Kathryn Scott, that was her! We had the same teacher. She used to crack me up with her stories. Did she tell you the one about the wheat glue that went mouldy?

I like the middle one a lot; it reminds me distinctly of children's book illustrations I saw somewhere, though I can't be more precise. The Hawk is nice too, though it looks really odd juxtaposed with the cartoony style 'chu.

I will see your Giant Carp o' Doom and raise you a chubby Tanuki :P

(#8 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

08-07-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
HA! Yeah! Kathryn Scott, that was her! We had the same teacher. She used to crack me up with her stories. Did she tell you the one about the wheat glue that went mouldy?
No kidding! Where'd you get lessons from her? Did you go to Gaidai? I used to laugh so much in her class, she's a trip. Yeah I heard the glue story... man she has so many of those crazy stories...

Quote:
The Hawk is nice too, though it looks really odd juxtaposed with the cartoony style 'chu.
Yeah it was a last minute thing. I had one more assignment to do for that week and I couldn't think of anything else so I'm asking people to tell me what to paint. They ripped out some random pictures from magazines and I came up with this.

First thing I said when I saw the Tanuki: DAWWWWWWWWW.

I had a family of them living near my house when I went to gaidai. They're the cutest things ever, I wish people would stop translating it as "raccoon", cuz tanuki are like a hundred times more awesome.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

08-07-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
No kidding! Where'd you get lessons from her? Did you go to Gaidai? I used to laugh so much in her class, she's a trip. Yeah I heard the glue story... man she has so many of those crazy stories...

Yeah it was a last minute thing. I had one more assignment to do for that week and I couldn't think of anything else so I'm asking people to tell me what to paint. They ripped out some random pictures from magazines and I came up with this.

First thing I said when I saw the Tanuki: DAWWWWWWWWW.

I had a family of them living near my house when I went to gaidai. They're the cutest things ever, I wish people would stop translating it as "raccoon", cuz tanuki are like a hundred times more awesome.
Darn right I went to Gaidai; Two semesters. Wasn't it just the utter dead-pan she could pull? I swear I genuinely hurt myself laughing when she looked at me really seriously and then came out with "I opened the lid... and it spoke to me. >.> It said "bloob-bloob-bub-bloob"."

hahah, last minute scrambles are the best. The weeks we did abstract stuff? Yeah... really didn't get into that. Spent the week dodding about doing animal sketches, then in the last hour lobbed some ink at some paper and turned it in.

I only ever saw the back end of a Tanuki as it vanished off into a bush. Everyone else I knew seemed to be tripping over them every other day. Weird that people think it's a racoon; it's a completely different species, and they don't even look the same. Raccoons have little monkey paws and Tanuki have stubby dog feet. Lemme prod that 'Daww' button again:

Man, all my animals are FAT.