JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Member Art & Creativity (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/member-art-creativity/)
-   -   A stroll through Tokyo (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/member-art-creativity/26969-stroll-through-tokyo.html)

Sangetsu 08-06-2009 12:24 AM

A stroll through Tokyo

I took these on Monday while walking from Yurakucho station to my gf's apartment. I was carrying 2 cameras, a Canon F1, and a Olympus OM4Ti. I've gotten tired of digital photography (for the moment) so these pictures were shot on black-and-white film (I enjoy developing film) and then scanned onto my pc.

Ginza

More Ginza

Still in Ginza...

Crossing the Sumida river on Harumi-dori

A canal in Tsukishima.

My walking partner

Sumida River in Shinkawa.

Salvanas 08-06-2009 12:37 AM

The Canal picture looks gorgeous.

Do you reckon you could blow that up for me in black and white please? With your permission, I'd love to have that as my background.

Beautiful shot.

Sangetsu 08-06-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvanas (Post 757138)
The Canal picture looks gorgeous.

Do you reckon you could blow that up for me in black and white please? With your permission, I'd love to have that as my background.

Beautiful shot.

I scanned at 2400dpi, so the resolution isn't great (6400dpi scans take a long time). Here is a larger version: http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...Ginza024-1.jpg

Salvanas 08-06-2009 11:01 AM

That's great. Thanks mate.

JojoBizarre 08-06-2009 02:54 PM

Wow those are some really pretty picture, I especially like the one with the brodge!

Good job :)

Pexster 08-06-2009 03:17 PM

Those are great pictures. :)

KaiTea 08-06-2009 03:23 PM

Those pictures are really pretty! I was wondering, did you manipulate the black-white ratio on Photoshop, or are these straight images? It is such a shame that when you scanned some of the images, it starts to lose its quality. (It's really obvious when you look at the sky in a few of the images)

Sangetsu 08-07-2009 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaiTea (Post 757369)
Those pictures are really pretty! I was wondering, did you manipulate the black-white ratio on Photoshop, or are these straight images? It is such a shame that when you scanned some of the images, it starts to lose its quality. (It's really obvious when you look at the sky in a few of the images)

No, I don't computer-edit my film pictures. The skies in the pictures are more or less the same as they were when photographed. The day was hazy, and there really was no blue sky visible, just a gray haze which let in through indirect light (which I like), and clouds below.

These scans were done at 2400dpi on a new Epson pro scanner. A 2400dpi scan has much higher resolution than can be shown on a computer monitor. As saved on my pc, the images are 3300 by 2000 pixels, which are somewhat larger than what a 1980x1020 high-definition monitor can show. Even an ultra-high definition monitor will only give you 2500x1500 pixels.

The main problem with the quality of the pics in this post is that they are hosted by photobucket at a resolution of 650 by 400 pixels, which is roughly 1/5th of their original quality.

I could scan them at 6400dpi, and save as tiffs instead of jpegs, but the scans would take forever and the files would be huge; I couldn't really use them on a computer or on the internet. Such quality is only useful for commercial quality printing.

KaiTea 08-07-2009 02:08 AM

Ah, okay. I was just wondering.

Scanning at such a high resolution like that takes FOREVER, so I understand why you've chose to scan at that resolution. If the images are only 35mm, then (If I can remember correctly) 2400dpi is the suitable resolution size for scanning.

Seeing as they are hosted on Photobucket, it can only keep so much detail.

I am not knocking your images (In case you are wondering). It appears that you have a good eye for photography.

Again, good images. :P

changcasyo 01-14-2010 04:14 AM

cool photos! i like the effect as well as the angles.. =D keep up!