JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
redline (Offline)
JF Regular

Artist's block - 09-27-2009, 06:37 AM

For the past couple of weeks I haven't been able to even come close to finishing a drawing. I just can't find any inspiration for a good drawing. All I can think of drawing is something about my muay thai class, but I cannot for the life of me finish any of the ones I start. I always stop about half way and decide I don't like it at all and that it just isn't my style. So to bring an actual discussion to this thread, I ask you, people of Japan Forum, how do you deal with artist's block?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

09-27-2009, 07:31 AM

usually, I'll make sure I'm going to make something that interests me (usually cars/ car related)... and when I find myself struggling to accomplish any work, I'll switch mediums... photo to graphite to wood cuts to ceramic... this is why I could never be a serious artist... I need to be able to jump from medium to medium at my liking...

IamKira
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JustinATTACK (Offline)
Wtf does *glomps* mean??

Send a message via AIM to JustinATTACK
09-27-2009, 07:40 AM

For me, If I have artist block, I stop what ever I'm trying to draw/paint/write/whatever, and come back t it in a while. Artists block is just a mental block.
You just have to remove yourself from whatever you are doing, and look at it from somsone elses perspective. Look at what other people see, and not what you as an artist would see. And then continue. Once you get past the block, it's like a damn breaking, the creativity will just spill out. All you have to do is remove/work your way past the block.

"Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard." Miyamoto Musashi
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-27-2009, 10:11 AM

I'm in the same situation. I've been working on several big motion design projects but I haven't been able to finish any of them; I keep starting new ones. Iamkira's idea is a good one, switching mediums. In another month or so the leaves are gonna start changing color and that's when I bust out my watercolors, so it'll be a good change of pace. Hopefully it'll help me finish up these current projects.

I have a web designer friend here who says going to a cafe and putting on some music helps him greatly. I can agree with that too, moving to a different environment works wonders. Especially if it's a really creative environment (local indy coffee house, etc). I found I did my best work when I was in the classroom back in college, rather than home with all the distractions.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#5 (permalink))
Old
liquidfreedom88 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to liquidfreedom88
09-27-2009, 10:20 AM

when i confuse with my draw, ill do things that can stimulate my imagination:
read manga, watch anime, and think again, what makes me want to draw my current drawing in first place.

if its not work, change ur location, usually i go to my college library coz somehow, i cant concentrate in my home.

or, try drawing other things u really like and back to first draw.

"Time understand nothing. They dont understand hatred, They dont understand agony, They dont understand pain. They keep going through despite how our condition might be and heedless of human's failure and success."