JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Member Art & Creativity (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/member-art-creativity/)
-   -   Lightning photos (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/member-art-creativity/33203-lightning-photos.html)

SeeJ 08-04-2010 09:55 AM

Lightning photos

Show us your lightning pics!

Here are mine: Lightning

I took them here in Saitama when we had a lot of electrical storms a couple of weeks back, with my Canon 20D.

Would love to see some of yours and if anyone has any tips that would be great.

roggerstoner 08-27-2010 06:39 AM

Wow you post amazing photographs. I really like it and can you tell me some tips for capture that type of photo. and some detail about your camera.

nobora 08-28-2010 03:17 AM

Those are some nice pics. We had a really awesome storm not too long ago but I had no camera to take the pics with. so sad.

Eiri02 08-28-2010 06:58 AM

so how were u able to get those shots...they are nice picks! I Love lightning, it's just so powerful i guess! LOL!!!

SeeJ 09-10-2010 07:58 AM

Hi there, sorry for the late reply - I moved recently and had to wait a couple of weeks for the hikari to catch up!

I use a Canon 20D that I picked up second hand from eBay. It's my first SLR and I love it! I just used the standard lens that comes with the camera, nothing fancy. I don't even have a tripod yet, but if you have one it will make life a lot easier.

The lightning shots were taken using a high aperture value and slow shutter speed (on 'bulb' setting actually, which means the shutter stays open as long as you hold the button) and a great deal of patience and trial and error. Of course it was made a lot easier by being in a country with such crazy storms and large, frequent flashes of lightning. I would never have been able to do this back home in Scotland.

Unfortunately my new apartment is on the ground floor so I will need to hunt out a decent vantage point for the next storm!

Glad you liked the pics, thanks for the feedback!

dirtyroboto 09-13-2010 02:15 PM

DirtyRobot's Japan: Very Active Thunderstorm, North Tokyo

Just an update. I shot this with a point and shoot compact camera, Samsung S730, mounted on a tripod. In Manual mode I can get the camera to expose for 8 seconds, so I set the countdown timer for two seconds and let the camera do it's thing. This is the first time I have caught a strike this way because the storm was really cooking. Before I always seemed to miss the good shots.

Mazikeen 09-13-2010 05:33 PM

Oh wow, dirtyrobo. That's a really beautiful picture. Lightning striking behind a cityscape. It's really great, do you have a larger picture available?

Ah, yes, yes you do have a larger image available.

Even prettier!

SeeJ 09-14-2010 05:32 AM

Excellent shot!

dirtyroboto 09-14-2010 07:29 AM

Was a helluva storm. I think there are more on the way today. :D

jimeshten 09-14-2010 10:36 PM

Lightning photos

According to me! Many photos are so much amazing. You post amazing photographs. I really like it and can you tell me some tips for capture which type of photo and some detail about your camera.
I use a sony cybershot 20D that I purchased a new camera from the market. It's my first SLR and I love it! I just used the standard lens that comes with the camera, nothing fancy.