JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
02-28-2011, 07:37 PM

Ok, I know this sounds like an old fuddy-duddy, but other than Tipsygypsy mentioning the pain level for an eyebrow, there are some things to consider about piercings besides how cool they will look. I am not saying do not get them (I have really enjoyed some of my partners' piercings) just consider all sides of the issues before you do it. I am only going to discuss the one's mentioned so far, but you are welcome to PM me you have any other questions.

Lip & toungue piercings: No much risk, except it can be really hard to keep clean till it heals and if the jewelry hits your teeth, I hope you have good dental insurance. Eventually it will start to damage the enamel.

Belly-button piercings: Often because the placement tends to be in a location where the constant irritation from clothing makes the body work to shed the piercing. It is the most common piercing to migrate until the hole is gone.

Nose: Nostrils, no risk, just can get messy sometimes. However a septum piercing is reknown for being one of the most painful piercings on the human body.

Eyebrows: While this seems simple, it is one of the most dangerous facial piercing done today. Placement could damage nerves critical to the function of your eyelid. If the piercing hits any of these nerves, you could permanently lose control of opening and closing your eyes. It doesn't happen often, but how well you trust your luck? I have seen this happen and its really sad.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
catbat (Offline)
spaced

02-28-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Ok, I know this sounds like an old fuddy-duddy, but other than Tipsygypsy mentioning the pain level for an eyebrow, there are some things to consider about piercings besides how cool they will look. I am not saying do not get them (I have really enjoyed some of my partners' piercings) just consider all sides of the issues before you do it. I am only going to discuss the one's mentioned so far, but you are welcome to PM me you have any other questions.

Lip & toungue piercings: No much risk, except it can be really hard to keep clean till it heals and if the jewelry hits your teeth, I hope you have good dental insurance. Eventually it will start to damage the enamel.

Belly-button piercings: Often because the placement tends to be in a location where the constant irritation from clothing makes the body work to shed the piercing. It is the most common piercing to migrate until the hole is gone.

Nose: Nostrils, no risk, just can get messy sometimes. However a septum piercing is reknown for being one of the most painful piercings on the human body.

Eyebrows: While this seems simple, it is one of the most dangerous facial piercing done today. Placement could damage nerves critical to the function of your eyelid. If the piercing hits any of these nerves, you could permanently lose control of opening and closing your eyes. It doesn't happen often, but how well you trust your luck? I have seen this happen and its really sad.
Nope i have to agree with you. I've had probelms with my tongue and lip piercings (eg clothes getting snagged) and i'm too squeamish for a septum piercing! I've heard horror stories...

Kyoko Honda- For there to be pain, there has to be kindness. For darkness to stand out, there has to be the sun.

(#43 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

02-28-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbat View Post
Nope i have to agree with you. I've had probelms with my tongue and lip piercings (eg clothes getting snagged) and i'm too squeamish for a septum piercing! I've heard horror stories...
Ah, the infamous clothes snag .... what hairbrushes are to earrings!

The septum info surprised me initially. I have a friend who was a bull rider, really into S&M, owner of several serious piercings and pretty tough guy all-round. But he was quick to confirm that it was the most painful thing he had ever endured and wished that someone would have been more serious about warning him.

(#44 (permalink))
Old
catbat (Offline)
spaced

02-28-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Ah, the infamous clothes snag .... what hairbrushes are to earrings!

The septum info surprised me initially. I have a friend who was a bull rider, really into S&M, owner of several serious piercings and pretty tough guy all-round. But he was quick to confirm that it was the most painful thing he had ever endured and wished that someone would have been more serious about warning him.
"what hairbrushes are to earrings!" lol oh yes!

After reading about your friend it must really hurt then. Not to mention the squeamish factor! I know ppl who have it done but they just bluff it and make out it was no big deal. I so bet it was.

Kyoko Honda- For there to be pain, there has to be kindness. For darkness to stand out, there has to be the sun.

(#45 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

03-11-2011, 12:31 PM

are piercings really seen as attractive.

i guess man has decorated himself since time began--but how are piercings actually attractive

what about when you want rid of them---------no doubt tattoos can be tricky to erase.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

03-11-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
are piercings really seen as attractive.
As with any adornment or alteration, the attractiveness is subjective. Personally, I find very few piercings attractive. Some are because their placement distracts from what I consider natural beauty (ie. nose rings and eyebrow piercings). Others are unattractive because of the "jewelry" chosen - I like metal and gems, but spacers just look dumb to me. But again, that is a very personal perspective - just as someone thinking my necklace is unattractive.

Quote:
i guess man has decorated himself since time began--but how are piercings actually attractive
Many piercings (before modern times) were for practical purposes. Some were ways to keep valuables at hand without having to carry them (large earrings, coin necklaces, etc). Other were marks of identification showing either their tribal/community association or their status in life. Even today it is sometimes the same sort of reasoning. My own father agree to my first ear piercing because he didn't want me losing my mother's earrings that were passed down each generation. Having some more outrageous piercings show a person to be part of a social grouping at times.

Quote:
what about when you want rid of them---------no doubt tattoos can be tricky to erase.
Techniques for removing tattoos are improving with lasers to break up the ink. Though they still aren't perfect, they are much better than having to settle for removing the skin or finding an artist who can change the original artwork with an overlaid design.

Erasing piercings is easier. The body generally likes to repair hole in its covering. The sooner the piercing is left alone and empty the faster and more completely it will heal over. Even if the piercing is old, smaller ones may still heal over leaving only a small mark of scar tissue. Those which have severly stretched skin such as ear lobes, such as with large plug or spacers, with have permanent loops unless they pay a plastic surgeon to cut off the excess and reshape the lobes.

(#47 (permalink))
Old
Nippom (Offline)
regular

10-16-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimeChan13 View Post
So I love body adornments and tattoos. I want an industrial pretty badly. I'm sure I will have multiple piercings when I can get them without consent. I don't want a tattoo as badly. They are cool, but I don't want a whole bunch of them, maybe one or two.

Do many people in Japan get tattoos or piercings? This would be useful information to me so that I don't look like a total freak when I visit there someday.

Also, what is the coolest place or picture for a tattoo? Same for a piercing. I really love eyebrow rings and tongue piercings. ^.^
In answer to your question, please check out this thread;
Tattoo in public pool

and these videos;
TheJapanChannelDcom's Channel - YouTube
(jump to 1:18 into the video if you don't care to see it all),

Japan - How to #24 - Tattoos - YouTube