JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Candace (Offline)
New to JF

The Earthquake Doll - 10-20-2013, 10:29 PM

My first novel is going to be published in December, and it's set in the 1950s near Sapporo. Several years ago, while I was writing my book, I came to JapanForum looking for anyone who had lived there during that era, but didn't find anyone. But I kept writing, and editing, and at the suggestion of an agent, even did a complete rewrite of the whole thing. There are just a few little, final edits to go and it should be available in print and ebook by December 3rd. I'm excited, and terrified at the same time!

My family lived in Hokkaido in the early 1950s, which was during my early childhood. I've always wanted to go back to Japan. I think it's always been in my heart. I hope you will be interested in reading The Earthquake Doll. I'll post the link as soon as it's available. Here's the book blurb about it from my website:

It's the age-old struggle in Japanese culture: duty (giri) versus emotion (ninjo.) Tradition says duty must outweigh emotion. But the war changed everything, especially for women. The new democratic laws allow women to put personal feelings before duty. Against the wish of her secret heart, Miyoko is called upon to preserve the kumi, an ancient family covenant, or face disgracing herself, her family, and the memory of her father, who fought and died in the war. As the sun rises over the new Japan, mysterious undercurrents in the kumi drive her struggle to find an honorable way to balance both giri and ninjo in her new world.

Maybe it sounds like something you'd like to read?

Where are the other writers in this forum, and what are you up to? I'd love to hear from you!