JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Member Art & Creativity (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/member-art-creativity/)
-   -   GGG : Gwen_Goth's Gallery (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/member-art-creativity/573-ggg-gwen_goths-gallery.html)

Gwen_Goth 11-08-2006 10:18 PM

GGG : Gwen_Goth's Gallery

ok, so i thought i'd jump on the wagon and join in by posting up some of my, er, art.

for those that dont know, im 20 and at University at Swansea Institute of Higher Education studying Illustration. i'm currently in my second year, and this forum hasn't helped me with keeping up to date on deadlines ;)

I have a Deviant Art account Here so this where most of the art already is, you can comment here or on my DA account, i dont mind.

basic rules apply, no takee without my permission, if you want a copy of something, ask me and i'll send it to you, as most of what i post has been reduced in quality.

just one more thing; i tend not to do manga or anime styled work, but thats not to say japanese art doesnt have a n influence on me, i just found a while ago that i cant draw in the anime / manga style for sh*t :p

to start; i guess i'll put up a full view of my avatar
its a copper etch that i did in printmaking last year, more details are on the DA page

uh, if youre interested at all; i posted up the progression prints as well - they're here

hmm, this is a piece from the editorial illustration section last year; its designed to be the cover illustration of the Guardian supplement G2, the article's title was Modern Death, and was basicly about how people are dying alone - the article is here

Here is the image with the text an G2 logo on (sorry for th bad quality of it; the pdf i had of the text got corrupted so its lost forever - this is a scan of my one and only print out of the text version :p)

will post more cheery pics in a next post...

Gwen_Goth 11-08-2006 11:46 PM

Ok, more pics - and nicer ones at that ^^

this post is gonna be from last year too :
The brief was to come up with 6 designs as an advertising compain for an art supplies company; each piece ha dto be strong on its own, but also work in a seiries; each piece had to be made using a different medium; there were 5 mediums we had to use and then one of our own choice - the mediums were -
Watercolour
Acrylic
Oil Paint
Colour Pencils
Pastels (soft[chalk])
the medium i chose was Paper, specificly Handmade papers.

the final pieces had to be the same dimensions as an A6 postcard; they could be larger - but had to be in the same proportions so they could be scaled down easily. the majority of my final pieces were A3 size.

i had a lot of trouble coming up with ideas for this project but after i came back from my lil trip to japan i decided to do it based on Maiko, using the kimono i bought as reference.

the first
Watercolour on waterboard - possibly my favorite cos it worked so well

2nd: acrylic on MDF (cos im a student and poor)

3rd: Oil on MDF - my least fave, artly because i learnt 2 things while doing this one:
- i dont like Oil paint, it doesnt like me
- i cant draw faces, lest paint them
- turpintine in a enclosed space makes everything fuzzy and bright (hence why the colours are off )

4th: Colour Pencils on board - it would have been soo good, if not for the fact i used watercolour pencils, and it got wet... and smudged
hence heavey and crap photoshopping
i can only be thannkful only the background was messed...

5th : Pastels
i liked this one, except for like the turps, fix spray has the same effect on me...

6th : Paper
last but not least - this one gave me the most grief. it was made in two parts; the fan and the rest of it. all hand made, badly put together in photoshop at uni (I HATE Macs)

thats it for now, will possibly post more when i get bored of my all-nighter tonight ^^

Vesperd 11-09-2006 07:07 AM

Wow very nice sketch and colouring, the kimono girl looks pretty in that picture.. your art is awesome Gwen, i need that sort of skills to get an A in my art exam :)

Gwen_Goth 11-09-2006 07:08 AM

thank you :)

i only got a B in art GCSE, but art in schools is evil

-

edit:
uh, are the pics i put in this thread actually showing up, or is it just not me beingable to see them - if you cant see them, i'll post up links....

-

Avary_Ninja 11-09-2006 03:10 PM

Favorite :

Awesome original colors! A refreshing change from cg colors. ^_^

Kanji_The_Wanderer 11-09-2006 03:26 PM

Very well done ^.^ You have great ideas in the design, and the Maiko's kimono was colored quite well, I agree with Avary-san, it snice to see other things besides CG Colors.

Gwen_Goth 11-09-2006 06:33 PM

thanks guys

when i do work digitally, i tend to work in black and white. one of my main influences when it comes to digital work is Dan Kim; his web mangas Paper Eleven, Kanami and Penny Tribute in particuler (the rest are kinda worrying, esp the elfien lied fanfic manga...)

uhm, more! - yes more work ^^

this is a small piece i did a while ago for acrylic paint workshop

the maiko is only about 1" high on the actual painting, detail here

here the only digital piece ive done in colour; was for conceptual studies last month; the brief was to have a city gentleman in a bowler hat with a open umbrella
it was only a one day project, so i did this overnight, hence it being a bit crap

larger version here i got lazy, the sea is just a photo put thru a few filters but other than that its all hand drawn with my pretty pretty wacom ^^

maks 11-09-2006 06:37 PM

gwen, you works were all great.....youre a good artist....cool!....i like the one with a man where his ubrella was blown away by the wind.....nicely done....trust me....you are really good!:D

natalie05 11-09-2006 09:39 PM

Wow...amazing work..i love your angel series...it amazing to see so many variations of one work. Very unique...keep up the great work! :D

aphrodite 11-16-2006 01:48 AM

wow excellent.................:p :p :p

Gwen_Goth 11-16-2006 03:00 AM

thanka
more coming sooon ^^

Gwen_Goth 11-22-2006 12:43 PM

a bad picture of Ash

http://www.snapdrive.net/files/94601/JP%20ash.jpg
looks nothing like him :(

will try again soon ;)

sorry Ash :p

Hisuwashi 11-22-2006 10:30 PM

Splendid stuff, Gwen...but the eyes on the geisha or whatever she is look a bit... small? and that Ash image is broken. Unless... who knows... maybe that was your intention...XD

GitarisutoKao 11-27-2006 12:08 AM

now thats not true,the one with Gwen in it,you look splendid,an happy!!!:happypika:

Vin 11-27-2006 05:43 PM

Beautiful work.

Gwen_Goth 11-27-2006 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vin (Post 10372)
Beautiful work.

thank you

uh the pic of ash,
here we go; reloaded ^^

Avary_Ninja 11-27-2006 09:00 PM

Aah! Now I see Ash's pic. Very nice ^_^

Did you draw from a picture, life-modelling, or memory?

Vin 11-27-2006 09:06 PM

@.@ it's very Amable.

Misayo 11-29-2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avary_Ninja (Post 6918)
Favorite :

Awesome original colors! A refreshing change from cg colors. ^_^

oh yes! I like this one too ^^

Riku8 11-29-2006 06:58 PM

sugoi, you realy are talented

Hisuwashi 11-29-2006 07:26 PM

Must only be broken for me. Maybe I should get Firefox or something...

Gwen_Goth 12-05-2006 02:09 AM

ok, so ive fixed all teh image links in my first few posts now, and in the quotes back ;)

more recent stuff to follow, once photobucket gets its head out of is arse :mad:

Gwen_Goth 12-05-2006 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash (Post 13036)
How about some manga style artwork?

when i do some maybe, :p

im just posting up some current project that people may be interested in :)

Anubis_Jill 12-05-2006 07:44 PM

Your art is full of emotion. I t is wonderful. :rheart:

Monster 12-06-2006 07:47 PM

Very nice. Do you use references or just go off the top of your head?

Gwen_Goth 12-06-2006 11:37 PM

thanks agai guys, i tend to go off the top of my head, but i occasionally need references, im building up my own lil library of stock images, so i tend to try not to use stuff online unless i can help it :)

will post more tonight - just got to finnish it ;)

Kurofune 12-07-2006 09:59 PM

You art is great. I'm really jealous. I can't produce anything in visual art but do write music occasionally. How did you learn to draw? What did you find helped you the most?

Gwen_Goth 12-08-2006 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurofune (Post 13504)
You art is great. I'm really jealous. I can't produce anything in visual art but do write music occasionally. How did you learn to draw? What did you find helped you the most?

thank you :o
i have the musical ability of a dead ant, so im supremly jealous of people who can play instuments properly

ive been drawing forever really; my art foundation course helped me learn alot of new tecniques, but it also knocked my self confidence a hell of alot :(

anyway!

NEW ART!

hehe

this is something ive benn working on for about a week now;the idea came after (damn i cant rmember who xD ) asked about making a kimono on the kimono thread...

anyway here ya go:

I drew her based on the Maiko costume crossed with cyber-goth/punk fashion

lines in Illustrator CS2 and coloured in Photoshop CS2; could have probably done it all in Illustrator, but I'm Lazy ^^;

I know she has no hands - but its just a design; so she doesnt need hands :p
the boots are based on my own old New Rock boots :D

dont ask me what the wing/blades are about, i dont know myself to be honest

i know theres horrible little mistakes everywhere, i'll clean them up later, honest ;)

i know its huge (this is actually less than half the size of the original file xD: )
lineart:

uh, maybe more of one of my uni projects later, but now, im gonna be late to class xD

Anubis_Jill 12-08-2006 07:38 PM

Beautiful!! :rheart:

GitarisutoKao 12-09-2006 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwen_Goth (Post 13540)
thank you
i have the musical ability of a dead ant, so im supremly jealous of people who can play instuments properly

ive been drawing forever really; my art foundation course helped me learn alot of new tecniques, but it also knocked my self confidence a hell of alot :(

anyway!

NEW ART!

hehe

this is something ive benn working on for about a week now;the idea came after (damn i cant rmember who xD ) asked about making a kimono on the kimono thread...

anyway here ya go:

I drew her based on the Maiko costume crossed with cyber-goth/punk fashion

lines in Illustrator CS2 and coloured in Photoshop CS2; could have probably done it all in Illustrator, but I'm Lazy ^^;

I know she has no hands - but its just a design; so she doesnt need hands :p
the boots are based on my own old New Rock boots :D

dont ask me what the wing/blades are about, i dont know myself to be honest

i know theres horrible little mistakes everywhere, i'll clean them up later, honest ;)

i know its huge (this is actually less than half the size of the original file xD: )
lineart:

uh, maybe more of one of my uni projects later, but now, im gonna be late to class xD

wow you should be my costume designer after all im gonna be a great guitarist,and honestly...i suck with clothing and makeup.....maybe you and me could make an alliance???yeah...kewl words...........:vsign:

kitalia8807 12-09-2006 07:25 PM

sewing is so much fun.
im a recent article i read,
it said, that recently, teens new trend is sewing again.
ewww, look at that ^^ i made a rhyme. lol,
im so lame.

Gwen_Goth 12-13-2006 02:07 AM

this is my forst tr a t photo-realism in photoshop; was just playing around the other night... and yesterday morning...

uhmm, yea; she is Mia; main character in a graphic novel/ manga/ illutration project for uni; due in in 5 weeks; i need to start somwhere...

i'll post more about the story at somepoint; i may need some help :p

Mia :

armageddon18 12-15-2006 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwen_Goth (Post 7072)
thanks guys

when i do work digitally, i tend to work in black and white. one of my main influences when it comes to digital work is Dan Kim; his web mangas Paper Eleven, Kanami and Penny Tribute in particuler (the rest are kinda worrying, esp the elfien lied fanfic manga...)

uhm, more! - yes more work ^^

this is a small piece i did a while ago for acrylic paint workshop

the maiko is only about 1" high on the actual painting, detail here

here the only digital piece ive done in colour; was for conceptual studies last month; the brief was to have a city gentleman in a bowler hat with a open umbrella
it was only a one day project, so i did this overnight, hence it being a bit crap

larger version here i got lazy, the sea is just a photo put thru a few filters but other than that its all hand drawn with my pretty pretty wacom ^^

i like the man with the unbrella oout all the one u posted keep up the good work

Gwen_Goth 01-08-2007 09:46 PM

aww thanks guys... :)

more recent stuff to come inna min (ie after ive opened photoshop; crashed the laptop; restarted the laptop then loaded it up to photobucket...)

so about 2 days then :p

koaku 01-08-2007 09:50 PM

all of us are very very good in drawing!! love MIA

yesthisismyday 01-08-2007 10:57 PM

love the kimono, awesome !

Gwen_Goth 01-09-2007 01:25 AM

DAmn photobucket takes SO long xD

Ok; i said i would; this is a piece i did today (ok, yesterday) Its part of a larger project that i'll be posting up here anyway so i wont go into any details....

its Quink Ink with masking fluid and bleack on standard cartridge paper; teh splatters are made using a diffuser... original size; A3 (sorry not sure what dimensions that is for you yanks... ), scanned at 400dpi... colour corrections, cropping and tagged in photoshop :)

hope you like it - ths project is due in in a week; so will post it up then :)

oh; it would be really useful if you could maybe try to interpret the image - in anyway that it strikes you.... is useful for my research; thanks ;)

DarkLuminosity 01-09-2007 01:40 AM

OMG I just love the last one O_O Amzing!

Gwen_Goth 01-09-2007 02:19 PM

ok so i seem to have lost the files for what i *was* going to post; so I'll Post this instead...

this is work from last term; Book jacket design; I chose to do Haruki Murakami's The Wind Up Bird Chronicle
I chose to do the Cover in Japanese foramt, the text is directly translated, so i know it probably doesnt make sence, but this was an exercise in design and layout more than anthing, so i'm not so bothered :p

the front Cover:

the actual image...
(larger copy here)

with the cover i wanted to illustrate some of the main factors withing the novel; the wind up bird itsself is always hidden; never seen so as an analouge for this i used the statue in the abondoned house's garden; another is the main character (Toru Okada)'s affinity with going down the well in said abandoned house's garden... i tried to bring the two images together. the fact the grass line makes a cross ist intended and not supposed to be symbolic of anything...

hope that makes the image a lil more clear...

we also had to produce two inside Illustrations, but as teh novel is split into three 'books' i did three:

I chose to use the cat, Noboru Wataya (later renamed Marcrel) to illustrate the different sections of the book; the first with the cat leaving, symbolising Toru's fall into the obscure, the second with the cat walking, symbolising Toru's search and the Last, with the cat returning, symbolising the conclusion to the many stories and threads within the book.

hope ya like 'em
if anyones read the book - please do comment to tell me what you think of my interpretation :)

oh yea; the Cover illustration was done entirely in photoshop over about 5 days; the cat illustrations in pen and ink on cratridge paper; about 30mins to each pic
the cat walking away is my fave ^^

Kasumi89 01-09-2007 02:25 PM

*mouth falls on key board* wow...........those are good. Really good.