JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

Red face GGG : Gwen_Goth's Gallery - 11-08-2006, 10:18 PM

ok, so i thought i'd jump on the wagon and join in by posting up some of my, er, art.

for those that dont know, im 20 and at University at Swansea Institute of Higher Education studying Illustration. i'm currently in my second year, and this forum hasn't helped me with keeping up to date on deadlines

I have a Deviant Art account Here so this where most of the art already is, you can comment here or on my DA account, i dont mind.

basic rules apply, no takee without my permission, if you want a copy of something, ask me and i'll send it to you, as most of what i post has been reduced in quality.

just one more thing; i tend not to do manga or anime styled work, but thats not to say japanese art doesnt have a n influence on me, i just found a while ago that i cant draw in the anime / manga style for sh*t

to start; i guess i'll put up a full view of my avatar
its a copper etch that i did in printmaking last year, more details are on the DA page

uh, if youre interested at all; i posted up the progression prints as well - they're here

hmm, this is a piece from the editorial illustration section last year; its designed to be the cover illustration of the Guardian supplement G2, the article's title was Modern Death, and was basicly about how people are dying alone - the article is here

Here is the image with the text an G2 logo on (sorry for th bad quality of it; the pdf i had of the text got corrupted so its lost forever - this is a scan of my one and only print out of the text version )

will post more cheery pics in a next post...

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲

Last edited by Gwen_Goth : 12-05-2006 at 02:00 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

11-08-2006, 11:46 PM

Ok, more pics - and nicer ones at that ^^

this post is gonna be from last year too :
The brief was to come up with 6 designs as an advertising compain for an art supplies company; each piece ha dto be strong on its own, but also work in a seiries; each piece had to be made using a different medium; there were 5 mediums we had to use and then one of our own choice - the mediums were -
Watercolour
Acrylic
Oil Paint
Colour Pencils
Pastels (soft[chalk])
the medium i chose was Paper, specificly Handmade papers.

the final pieces had to be the same dimensions as an A6 postcard; they could be larger - but had to be in the same proportions so they could be scaled down easily. the majority of my final pieces were A3 size.

i had a lot of trouble coming up with ideas for this project but after i came back from my lil trip to japan i decided to do it based on Maiko, using the kimono i bought as reference.

the first
Watercolour on waterboard - possibly my favorite cos it worked so well

2nd: acrylic on MDF (cos im a student and poor)

3rd: Oil on MDF - my least fave, artly because i learnt 2 things while doing this one:
- i dont like Oil paint, it doesnt like me
- i cant draw faces, lest paint them
- turpintine in a enclosed space makes everything fuzzy and bright (hence why the colours are off )

4th: Colour Pencils on board - it would have been soo good, if not for the fact i used watercolour pencils, and it got wet... and smudged
hence heavey and crap photoshopping
i can only be thannkful only the background was messed...

5th : Pastels
i liked this one, except for like the turps, fix spray has the same effect on me...

6th : Paper
last but not least - this one gave me the most grief. it was made in two parts; the fan and the rest of it. all hand made, badly put together in photoshop at uni (I HATE Macs)

thats it for now, will possibly post more when i get bored of my all-nighter tonight ^^

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲

Last edited by Gwen_Goth : 12-05-2006 at 12:34 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Vesperd (Offline)
Sit back and Chill.. :]

11-09-2006, 07:07 AM

Wow very nice sketch and colouring, the kimono girl looks pretty in that picture.. your art is awesome Gwen, i need that sort of skills to get an A in my art exam

2006 - Japanforum, remember it.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

11-09-2006, 07:08 AM

thank you

i only got a B in art GCSE, but art in schools is evil

-

edit:
uh, are the pics i put in this thread actually showing up, or is it just not me beingable to see them - if you cant see them, i'll post up links....

-

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

11-09-2006, 03:10 PM

Favorite :

Awesome original colors! A refreshing change from cg colors. ^_^

"Men, I do not order you to fight; I order you to die". ~ Mustapha Kemal at the Battle of Gallipoli

Last edited by Gwen_Goth : 12-05-2006 at 12:38 AM. Reason: fixed links
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

11-09-2006, 03:26 PM

Very well done ^.^ You have great ideas in the design, and the Maiko's kimono was colored quite well, I agree with Avary-san, it snice to see other things besides CG Colors.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

11-09-2006, 06:33 PM

thanks guys

when i do work digitally, i tend to work in black and white. one of my main influences when it comes to digital work is Dan Kim; his web mangas Paper Eleven, Kanami and Penny Tribute in particuler (the rest are kinda worrying, esp the elfien lied fanfic manga...)

uhm, more! - yes more work ^^

this is a small piece i did a while ago for acrylic paint workshop

the maiko is only about 1" high on the actual painting, detail here

here the only digital piece ive done in colour; was for conceptual studies last month; the brief was to have a city gentleman in a bowler hat with a open umbrella
it was only a one day project, so i did this overnight, hence it being a bit crap

larger version here i got lazy, the sea is just a photo put thru a few filters but other than that its all hand drawn with my pretty pretty wacom ^^

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲
(#8 (permalink))
Old
maks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-09-2006, 06:37 PM

gwen, you works were all great.....youre a good artist....cool!....i like the one with a man where his ubrella was blown away by the wind.....nicely done....trust me....you are really good!

(#9 (permalink))
Old
natalie05 (Offline)
New to JF

11-09-2006, 09:39 PM

Wow...amazing work..i love your angel series...it amazing to see so many variations of one work. Very unique...keep up the great work!

I have been told that I am a surrealist. Which simply isn't true. I never paint dreams or nightmares. I paint my own reality.

~Frida~My favorite quote from my favorite artist.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
aphrodite (Offline)
Korean Bombshell <3

11-16-2006, 01:48 AM

wow excellent.................

Anime fan or Japanese Music

http://missjesse.proboards45.com/index.cgi
Please Join...

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination