JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Parenting in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/)
-   -   Japanese kogyaru grow into monster moms (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/10653-japanese-kogyaru-grow-into-monster-moms.html)

Niyusu 12-16-2007 12:58 PM

Japanese kogyaru grow into monster moms

"Kogyaru" means high-school girl in Japanese, but the kogyaru phenomenon of the 1990s had more to do with what went on outside of the classroom. Kogyaru fashion called for thick makeup, dyed hair, bronzed skin, short skirts, loose socks and high-rise platform-soled shoes.

But no party lasts forever. The teens of the '90s are the twentysomethings of today -- and what kind of mothers do they make? "Monster mothers," says Shukan Bunshun, borrowing the term from a book by Japanese journalist Yuki Ishikawa.

Here are a few cases, excerpted by Shukan Bunshun from Ishikawa's research, which show what kind of mothers some of these kogals have become...

Source: Kogyaru grow into monster moms | Japan Times

vulgarshudder 12-17-2007 08:40 AM

And I'm sure you can find terrible mothers who weren't kogal. Media's always got this thing against single mothers and how terrible they are.

XORAYONDARAA 02-03-2008 06:51 AM

U Are Right

Amnell 02-03-2008 07:56 AM

Holy shit.... I sincerely hope that that is not the general case over there, but rather just a collection of isolated incidents.

MMM 02-03-2008 08:23 AM

This is the definition of "yellow journalism". The author exploits a few cases, but what fact and statistics are presented?

None.

This is a pretty sick excuse for a "news" article, and I am surprised it ever made it into print. This is an episode of Dr. Phil disguised as news.

xYinniex 02-03-2008 12:48 PM

ISn't this happening like everywhere?
like in america too?

There's monster mums everywhere, any age or who they used to be.
This is generalisation at its worst

kireikoori 02-04-2008 11:13 AM

Wow, that was about as sensible as a youtube video comment.

Congrats Japantimes, you've sunk pretty low.

catapillera1 04-23-2008 10:18 PM

it sounds to me like there not doing anything to help these moms,but are just looking for whatever they can to put them down !
two of them said they have been abused!
some people who been abused acted like that tell they look around and realize they need help !
it sound like there trying to say that moms who are not married are evil ! my mom had a really bad life and did a really good job with all of her kids! and she did it on her own !
:mad: :confused:

Tsuwabuki 04-30-2008 12:05 PM

My journalism 101 instructor is rolling in his grave.

sweetlolitachii 05-10-2008 06:56 PM

Wouldn't that be sort of stereotypical? I mean, Kogyaru's could be more likely to be worse mom's, but there can still be good people everywhere.

x08 05-28-2008 04:25 AM

*looks a bit stupid*

Ummmm... what's the difference between a Kogyaru and a Ganguro?

NightChilde25 05-28-2008 12:52 PM

Oh please! How did that ever get published? They're just taking a few horrible cases and trying to paint the entire generation as horrible parents. Just pitiful. Where are the actual numbers? This is just crazy. How you dressed as a teenager has nothing to do with the kind of parent you turn out to be. Everyone is an individual and everyone has their own parenting style. My friend Sarah is living proof. When we went to school she was a goth. Still is. She's a wonderful mom.

godwine 05-29-2008 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightChilde25 (Post 499408)
My friend Sarah is living proof. When we went to school she was a goth. Still is. She's a wonderful mom.

Wouldn't your own statement here defeat your point? "she was a goth, still she's a wonderful mom", thats basically saying that "A goth can be a wonderful mom, because they are portrait as not"

Its a perspective thing though, people tends to judge you base on what they think is right, and its usually being dicate by the way what the generail society accepts.

I agree that we can't generalize, but it was portrait to the general public that a certain "interest" group from the younger generation are only out to cause trouble and to get attention, and how these people are not going to be valuable to the society and that they are just a burden to the society.

All you really need is one very old and traditional man who disagree with certain way how teenagers portrait themselves, and any action by these people will be describe as unaccetable, especially when things like this happen they tend to amplify it

ghodassama 07-20-2008 05:18 AM

there are bad mothers arond all world....

kawaiixlove 11-10-2008 07:51 AM

Single moms are not bad, nor is an unmarried mom.

I know one that fits both and another who is a single mom personally and they have done the best job ever. I admire them both. I know their children personally as well.

It's not what about what category you fit into such as prep, goth and etc. It's the choices you make and how you provide for your children all around.

MMM 11-10-2008 08:09 AM

Did this thread need to be necroposted?

I know you are new, kawaiixlove, but did you read the first post?

emiluvsjmusic 11-10-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x08 (Post 499280)
*looks a bit stupid*

Ummmm... what's the difference between a Kogyaru and a Ganguro?

A Kogyaru is a female who was in Senior high (kookoosei) in the 90's.
Ganaguro is a fashion were girls have dark tans, light make up and Birds Nest hair. They're usually seen wearing school uniforms so that's probably why you got confused :)

sdbri 02-22-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 386927)
This is the definition of "yellow journalism". The author exploits a few cases, but what fact and statistics are presented?

None.

This is a pretty sick excuse for a "news" article, and I am surprised it ever made it into print. This is an episode of Dr. Phil disguised as news.

Exactly, that's how JapanTimes operates. A few months ago you could check the comments section and it's full of racists and trolls. Thankfully they've cleaned up a bit and started moderating.

SaintKat 05-04-2009 03:05 AM

Who dug this thread up? You've left me hanging since they're taken that article down. I want to read it now.
:confused: