Ahh just wanna squeeze him.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#12 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
04-17-2008, 04:27 AM

That is just too cute!!!

Okay, time to get superficial and shallow!!

*Goes to adopt a Japanese child and send him to a Japanese Kindergarten*

Seriously, it didn't hit me that even a Kindergarten would have fees to pay. I don't know what I was thinking. I knew of the uniforms, the smocks, the shoes, etc.

I can't recall, what age does Kindergarten start over there? Isn't it about three or four?

Oh, something else. For your son, does he hear and speak Japanese, or does he know some English too? I'm sure if he does know English, and since I'm under the impression that you're not returning to the states and stuff, that it'll probably give him a big advantage when older when being forced into taking English language.

Hmm, speaking of that...do you know if those who are children of a native English speaker would still have to take English language when older?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-17-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Seriously, it didn't hit me that even a Kindergarten would have fees to pay. I don't know what I was thinking. I knew of the uniforms, the smocks, the shoes, etc.
Believe me, it really cuts into the budget. Kindergarten isn`t required, so it`s entirely up to the parents whether they send their child. The kindergarten my son goes to is a private one, so it`s a bit higher than average - but not all that much of a difference (think around 28000/month in comparison to 25000/month for public.) At the end of the year we will get a sort of refund voucher from our town, as there are no public kindergartens in the immediate area.

Quote:
I can't recall, what age does Kindergarten start over there? Isn't it about three or four?
It starts from 3. If your child is 3 on April 1st (regardless of whether their birthday is March 31st or April 2nd), then they are eligible to start that year. Standard kindergarten is for 3 years, up until elementary school. Some parents send their kids for the full 3 years, some for only 2, and occasionally there will be someone who only sends them for one. It`s very rare for a child to enter into elementary school without having been in either a kindergarten or nursery.

Quote:
Oh, something else. For your son, does he hear and speak Japanese, or does he know some English too?
He only hears Japanese. He has a language acquisition disorder, so is not yet at the speaking stage yet.

Quote:
I'm sure if he does know English, and since I'm under the impression that you're not returning to the states and stuff, that it'll probably give him a big advantage when older when being forced into taking English language.
That may be true, but it`s not something that will happen in our house. We have absolutely no plans to move out of Japan, so as my son does have a language disorder I`m not willing to take any chances adding something into the mix. Not to mention that my husband does not speak or understand English, so it wouldn`t happen anyway.

Quote:
Hmm, speaking of that...do you know if those who are children of a native English speaker would still have to take English language when older?
English? No. You don`t actually have to study English in Japanese school. It`s by far the most commonly taken foreign language, but you can actually elect to study a different language (granted that the school offers another option.) Chinese is the second most common.

I don`t think that is what you`re asking though...

Regardless of what their ethnic background is, you *still* have to take a foreign language in school. Just having a parent who speaks a different language natively doesn`t magically grant you that ability. Language isn`t genetic.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
04-17-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I don`t think that is what you`re asking though...

Regardless of what their ethnic background is, you *still* have to take a foreign language in school. Just having a parent who speaks a different language natively doesn`t magically grant you that ability. Language isn`t genetic.
Well, that's not exactly what I meant. I know language isn't a genetic thing. Let's say the child has a Japanese parent and a Chinese parent. They reside in Japan, and it's time to take a language course, and the child wants to take Chinese (is it usually specified as to which you take? Mandarin or Cantonese?). Let's say that despite the fact that the child grows up in a Japanese environment, he still hears and speaks Chinese to and with the Chinese speaking parent, making him pretty much fluent in it. Would the child actually be allowed to study Chinese as a language, since he has exposure to said language and speaks it fluently? The same can apply to a child with an English-speaking parent.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Tsuyako (Offline)
Milkshake critic <3

Send a message via MSN to Tsuyako Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuyako
04-17-2008, 10:18 AM

Aw! He looks absolutely adorable! my brother's due to start kindergarten soon as well

~Tsuyako~
つや子
If music be the food of love, play on

www.myspace.com/strawberrymilkshake1992
(#16 (permalink))
Old
forgotenmemory (Offline)
Where's the rock lobster?

04-20-2008, 04:03 PM

Wow, he looks cool! Like the hat, I want a hat like that, jsut not so small! ^^

MY JF FAMILY and Fellow Pervs
http://www.freewebs.com/fantasyfact/jffamily.htm
Perv Dance
1 2 3 step step jump step step grope step step touch step step kiss and *SLap!!!
fantasyfact.proboards54.com
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

04-21-2008, 01:19 AM

More kindergarten excitement - Bento!

(#18 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

04-21-2008, 01:58 AM

AHHH!!! SO CUTE!
(I think I just died a little!)

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Orodreth (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Orodreth
04-21-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
More kindergarten excitement - Bento!

What's in the rice patties? It looks like rice mixed with strawberry bits...makes me hungry...

あいしてる
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

04-21-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orodreth View Post
What's in the rice patties? It looks like rice mixed with strawberry bits...makes me hungry...
Definitely not strawberry. I seriously cannot imagine anyone in Japan being able to eat that without gagging.

It`s dried shiso leaf powder - yukari.

ETA: That`s a quail egg, by the way. Not a normal sized egg.

Last edited by Nyororin : 04-21-2008 at 02:02 PM.