JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Parenting in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/)
-   -   One of every 30 Japanese babies has foreign parent (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/17961-one-every-30-japanese-babies-has-foreign-parent.html)

kenmei 11-12-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 626192)
What makes you think that any significant number of these children had a parent from an English speaking country?

apparently all gaijin speak english

Rogozhin 11-14-2008 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graemephillips (Post 626187)
Everything I've heard suggests that the Anglo-Australian culture is in critical danger of disappearing and that Australia, like my mother's homeland of New Zealand, unfortunately is developing this attitude that British culture is the past and trendy East Asian cultures are the future. Parties like Pauline Hanson's One Nation exist because Asians are flooding in relentlessly.
It would be a travesty to see the Anglo-Saxon culture, which has given more to the world than any other culture, die out simply because people thought it was passé and that foreign cultures were funky and trendy.

There aren't really that many Asians in Australia, certainly not as many as you make it out to be (go 50km away from the cities and you'd be hard pressed to find any Asians about). You have a greater influx of Europeans who are bringing with them their culture but I hear nothing on them endangering the Anglo-Australian way of life.

StormingWynn 02-27-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niyusu (Post 554887)
One of every 30 babies born in Japan in 2006 had at least one parent originating from overseas, according to a recent government survey.

Around 19,000 of the babies had non-Japanese fathers, 26,000 had non-Japanese mothers and 9,000 had parents who were both from abroad, according to the survey.

North and South Korean nationals formed the largest group among non-Japanese fathers, followed by Chinese and Brazilians. Among the non-Japanese mothers, Chinese were the largest group, followed by women from the Philippines and North and South Korea.

More children born with a foreign parent | Japan Times

I'm also surprised by this statistic, but what surprised me the most are there numbers in bold. I would think they would be reversed. No?

Javen 01-17-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 558049)
But I`m not saying someone Thai/Cambodian could pass as Japanese. I`m saying that there is enough variety in Japanese features that a child with one Thai/Cambodian parent and one Japanese parent could - if they were raised in Japan.
Their appearance would no doubt fall within the darker end of the scale of normal - but still be normal for Japanese.

One of our family friends is half Cambodian. You`d never know it if he didn`t tell you... And there is one half Thai child and one half Filipino child in my son`s school. You`d also never know it if you weren`t told.

I think Asia as a whole has alot of variety with Korea being the only exception

and its quite a fallacy to think a halfie with a SEAsian parent is always going to be in the darker end of normal....