(#21 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
11-12-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
What makes you think that any significant number of these children had a parent from an English speaking country?
apparently all gaijin speak english

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-14-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemephillips View Post
Everything I've heard suggests that the Anglo-Australian culture is in critical danger of disappearing and that Australia, like my mother's homeland of New Zealand, unfortunately is developing this attitude that British culture is the past and trendy East Asian cultures are the future. Parties like Pauline Hanson's One Nation exist because Asians are flooding in relentlessly.
It would be a travesty to see the Anglo-Saxon culture, which has given more to the world than any other culture, die out simply because people thought it was passé and that foreign cultures were funky and trendy.
There aren't really that many Asians in Australia, certainly not as many as you make it out to be (go 50km away from the cities and you'd be hard pressed to find any Asians about). You have a greater influx of Europeans who are bringing with them their culture but I hear nothing on them endangering the Anglo-Australian way of life.

Last edited by Rogozhin : 11-14-2008 at 01:15 AM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
StormingWynn (Offline)
New to JF

02-27-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyusu View Post
One of every 30 babies born in Japan in 2006 had at least one parent originating from overseas, according to a recent government survey.

Around 19,000 of the babies had non-Japanese fathers, 26,000 had non-Japanese mothers and 9,000 had parents who were both from abroad, according to the survey.

North and South Korean nationals formed the largest group among non-Japanese fathers, followed by Chinese and Brazilians. Among the non-Japanese mothers, Chinese were the largest group, followed by women from the Philippines and North and South Korea.

More children born with a foreign parent | Japan Times
I'm also surprised by this statistic, but what surprised me the most are there numbers in bold. I would think they would be reversed. No?
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Javen (Offline)
JF Regular

01-17-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
But I`m not saying someone Thai/Cambodian could pass as Japanese. I`m saying that there is enough variety in Japanese features that a child with one Thai/Cambodian parent and one Japanese parent could - if they were raised in Japan.
Their appearance would no doubt fall within the darker end of the scale of normal - but still be normal for Japanese.

One of our family friends is half Cambodian. You`d never know it if he didn`t tell you... And there is one half Thai child and one half Filipino child in my son`s school. You`d also never know it if you weren`t told.
I think Asia as a whole has alot of variety with Korea being the only exception

and its quite a fallacy to think a halfie with a SEAsian parent is always going to be in the darker end of normal....

Last edited by Javen : 10-03-2011 at 10:31 AM.