JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
sleepy123 (Offline)
New to JF

Any sleep tips? - 02-28-2011, 05:58 PM

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has any interesting or unusual tips for getting their babies off to sleep? Singing, dancing, switching the hoover on?? Whatever works for you would appreciated. And I'd be interested to know if there are any cultural differences between Japan and the west.

Thanks,

Kieran
(#2 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
02-28-2011, 06:38 PM

In the first few months, it helped my niece if I carried her belly down (instead of the normal position) in my arms. Helped with the colicky, when her digestive system started to work. But it all depends on what the baby prefers. Some like to be put directly to sleep, others like to hear you talking, singing, or just move them around.*

* please don't ask me how I know all this

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
catbat (Offline)
spaced

02-28-2011, 07:03 PM

My friend developed a rocking "dance" which seemed to work. Hope you're able to find a solution.

Kyoko Honda- For there to be pain, there has to be kindness. For darkness to stand out, there has to be the sun.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
ryuhebi13 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbat View Post
My friend developed a rocking "dance" which seemed to work. Hope you're able to find a solution.
Forgot I told you about that . It worked a charm though so hope it helps.

Check these links out:

MissMisa talks about Cosplay and stuff

Japanese Help and Info

Useful Info
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-07-2011, 08:15 PM

I find rocking to be effective, such as the 'rocking dance' mentioned, but it drove my friend insane after a while . . . as the baby gets older it gets a lot heavier, and once it's used to being rocked it's the only real way to get it to sleep, and have you ever tried rocking a child over six months from side to side for more than five minutes? Ouch, the arms really do ache!

The carrying a baby belly down seems to work for some babies too, but - from experience - I always find walking them in a pushchair or driving them in the car the best way . . . but as a babysitter I can afford to do that, if I was the actual parent then doing that every time I wanted the kid to sleep wouldn't be feasible, lol.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ryuhebi13 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Ouch, the arms really do ache!
Truly

[/quote]I always find walking them in a pushchair or driving them in the car the best way . . . but as a babysitter I can afford to do that, if I was the actual parent then doing that every time I wanted the kid to sleep wouldn't be feasible, lol.[/quote]

lol my friend did that and was out of the house for hours each night. It did the trick but drained the petrol

Check these links out:

Japanese Help and Info

Useful Info
(#7 (permalink))
Old
wolfmom (Offline)
New to JF

03-07-2011, 09:38 PM

Apart from the 'rocking dance' which really worked, singing and just holding her hand in the crib worked. If the baby is old enough for a baby bouncer, that worked a treat for missy (and so funny especially when she would hop as she dropped off)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ryuhebi13 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-18-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmom View Post
Apart from the 'rocking dance' which really worked, singing and just holding her hand in the crib worked. If the baby is old enough for a baby bouncer, that worked a treat for missy (and so funny especially when she would hop as she dropped off)
Ah yes, that was adorable

Check these links out:

Japanese Help and Info

Useful Info
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Yoshinryu (Offline)
New to JF

03-18-2011, 06:31 PM

My sister use't to have to drive her daughter around in the car to get her to sleep when she was young. It worked very well, but extreme.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

03-19-2011, 02:00 AM

One of my relatives walks around with my baby cousin , just pacing back and forth . Also my aunt slowly pats her babys butt lol