JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Parenting in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/)
-   -   One of every 30 Japanese babies has foreign parent (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/parenting-japan/17961-one-every-30-japanese-babies-has-foreign-parent.html)

Niyusu 08-04-2008 10:18 AM

One of every 30 Japanese babies has foreign parent

One of every 30 babies born in Japan in 2006 had at least one parent originating from overseas, according to a recent government survey.

Around 19,000 of the babies had non-Japanese fathers, 26,000 had non-Japanese mothers and 9,000 had parents who were both from abroad, according to the survey.

North and South Korean nationals formed the largest group among non-Japanese fathers, followed by Chinese and Brazilians. Among the non-Japanese mothers, Chinese were the largest group, followed by women from the Philippines and North and South Korea.

More children born with a foreign parent | Japan Times

emiluvsjmusic 08-04-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 554891)
That is less than 1 kid in every class room. I seen similar things in Australia. It is not a lot, really.

actually it is...
Australia is one of the most multicultural countries
and Japan is one of the least

Paul11 08-04-2008 01:15 PM

Are many of these foreigners nikkeijin or sankeijin? There are many Japanese descendants in Brazil, and Japan welcomes people back to the country after they've left or if they're children of japanese folk. these things together make me wonder if many of the foreign parents with new babies are children of Japanese ancestry.

Nyororin 08-04-2008 11:35 PM

I too have to wonder the same thing. As long as one side doesn`t have Japanese citizenship, the child is listed as having a foreign parent. This will include the Chinese and Korean populations of Japan - most of which were born in Japan, have never been outside of Japan, and only speak Japanese. Then again, with how few babies are being born, it`s certainly not completely unthinkable.
Although I have a feeling that most of the babies were born to Asian + Japanese couples, and will look entirely Japanese. Those who aren`t, I`m guessing have a pretty high chance of moving out of Japan... As it seems like that`s the popular thing to do if the foreign side is from anywhere other than Asia. Even more so, obviously, if both parents are from outside Japan.

Paul11 08-05-2008 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 555281)
I too have to wonder the same thing. As long as one side doesn`t have Japanese citizenship, the child is listed as having a foreign parent. This will include the Chinese and Korean populations of Japan - most of which were born in Japan, have never been outside of Japan, and only speak Japanese. Then again, with how few babies are being born, it`s certainly not completely unthinkable.
Although I have a feeling that most of the babies were born to Asian + Japanese couples, and will look entirely Japanese. Those who aren`t, I`m guessing have a pretty high chance of moving out of Japan... As it seems like that`s the popular thing to do if the foreign side is from anywhere other than Asia. Even more so, obviously, if both parents are from outside Japan.

Yeah, I also wonder how many of these people are foreigners who've been stationed in Japan by thier companies. How about servicemen? Are thier children born in Japanese or military hospitals.

i'm not sure why this is a big deal, though. Japan doesn't have a law comparable to the U.S. where those children are automatically citizens. Maybe it's just an example of declining birth rates among Japanese?

Payne222 08-05-2008 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emiluvsjmusic (Post 554909)
actually it is...
Australia is one of the most multicultural countries
and Japan is one of the least

Australia?
I'd say we are here in the US...
Freakin' I go right I'm in Little Korea, left Warsaw,
forward Little Italy...I could go on.
XDD

rina26 08-05-2008 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Payne222 (Post 555440)
Australia?
I'd say we are here in the US...
Freakin' I go right I'm in Little Korea, left Warsaw,
forward Little Italy...I could go on.
XDD

One of the most doesn't mean the most. US is one of the most also, doesn't mean emiluvsjmusic is incorrect.

Payne222 08-05-2008 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rina26 (Post 555451)
One of the most doesn't mean the most. US is one of the most also, doesn't mean emiluvsjmusic is incorrect.

Yeah, but I would think, like, us...
and then all the EU countries.
'Cause they're all so close.

Arn't people from Australia ancestors
of British prisoners?

kireikoori 08-05-2008 09:25 AM

This is...quite a surprising statistic.
I never would have imagined it was so high.

Nyororin 08-08-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 557564)
Right... I think you generalize too much. Out of 37 countries there is only 1 that looks Japanese; Korea (2 if you count it as north and south) and one that has a population that looks quite similar; China.

Which two countries do you think have the largest numbers of immigrants in Japan? Surprise surprise. It`s those two countries.

Even if one parent is from another East Asian country (I should have used that term rather than general "Asia") - I would love to see you try to identify any of them. Japan is not homogeneous in appearance. There is a wide variety, and half Thai, Cambodian, Filipino, etc fit right in if they`ve been raised in Japan.

Suki 08-08-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Payne222 (Post 555455)
Arn't people from Australia ancestors
of British prisoners?

lol You mean descendants of British convicts, not ancestors x) Otherwise Australia would have been like the Land of the Undead lol

I don't find this statistic shocking at all. "Foreign" includes everyone who wasn't born in Japan so.

Nyororin 08-09-2008 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 557761)
None of those nationalities actually look Japanese. Thai/Cambodian dont have the funny eyes and their skin is slightly darker, they are slightly smaller on average, and their nose forms a different shape. Most people would not pick this up, but it is like saying an Italian could pass as a Brit; he probably could, but everyone knows the large differences in the two races.

But I`m not saying someone Thai/Cambodian could pass as Japanese. I`m saying that there is enough variety in Japanese features that a child with one Thai/Cambodian parent and one Japanese parent could - if they were raised in Japan.
Their appearance would no doubt fall within the darker end of the scale of normal - but still be normal for Japanese.

One of our family friends is half Cambodian. You`d never know it if he didn`t tell you... And there is one half Thai child and one half Filipino child in my son`s school. You`d also never know it if you weren`t told.

Nyororin 08-09-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 558240)
Yeah, I am just whining. Most people dont see the difference. It is subtle, like the difference between Germans and Scotts, but it is there, and obvious most times. Yet some people can get lost in generalization.

It`s okay. I think you just misunderstood me. I wasn`t trying to lump all east Asian appearances together, and I can almost always pick out when someone isn`t Japanese. But there are enough Japanese who are at the ends of the scale that in almost all cases, a half Japanese half other-Asian child wouldn`t be obvious.

This topic came up because 1 in 30 having a foreign parent doesn`t mean that it will give a more varied, international appearance to Japan... As most of the foreign parents are from other east Asian countries - so the children will blend in perfectly if they`ve been raised here.

The being raised here is an important point, as there are a lot of Chinese/Koreans who could easily pass as Japanese by appearance - but who are completely unable to due to fashion, mannerisms, etc. They dress and just move differently.

Bureda 08-13-2008 10:43 AM

I look forwards to adding to the statistics of 1 baby every 30. :D

theAlphaDuck 08-29-2008 11:32 AM

let's not forget that it is a good thing!

mixed blood leads to more healthy people!

also half japanese-white girls...are WAY hotter (in general) than the J-Purebreed

Sinestra 09-18-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bureda (Post 561451)
I look forwards to adding to the statistics of 1 baby every 30. :D

God i laughed so hard when i read this.

Im actually surprised by this number maybe it has something to do with the declining birthrates and having the world fastest aging population. Which the Japanese government is trying to enact programs to help with the situation. What i wonder is will that number grow as the birth rate drops.

We could see Japan become more multi-cultural one day but not anytime soon.

graemephillips 11-12-2008 01:10 PM

Well done to Japan for preserving its indigenous culture

Well done to Japan for preserving its indigenous culture: - it's a shame the UK can't do the same. Here, about 1 in 4 babies born today have a foreign-born mother (I'm not sure what the statistics are for both parents or fathers). Ok, I admit, my mother is foreign-born, but New Zealanders are actually helping to keep the UK's culture intact, as it has more in common with how the UK once was before all this funky multiculturalism arrived.

kyo_9 11-12-2008 01:54 PM

hopefully the statistic can make the japanese know the importance of speaking english in the future..

graemephillips 11-12-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 557564)
Right... I think you generalize too much. Out of 37 countries there is only 1 that looks Japanese; Korea (2 if you count it as north and south) and one that has a population that looks quite similar; China.

Anyway, Australia is not multi cultural, and people who can't intergrate into long standing Australian culture and virtues are frowned upon and sometimes deported. They stopped using the word "multicultural" about 10 years ago when they realized the whole concept really wasn't working.

Just under one foreign child in every class is not much.

Everything I've heard suggests that the Anglo-Australian culture is in critical danger of disappearing and that Australia, like my mother's homeland of New Zealand, unfortunately is developing this attitude that British culture is the past and trendy East Asian cultures are the future. Parties like Pauline Hanson's One Nation exist because Asians are flooding in relentlessly.
It would be a travesty to see the Anglo-Saxon culture, which has given more to the world than any other culture, die out simply because people thought it was passé and that foreign cultures were funky and trendy.

Nyororin 11-12-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyo_9 (Post 626182)
hopefully the statistic can make the japanese know the importance of speaking english in the future..

What makes you think that any significant number of these children had a parent from an English speaking country?

kenmei 11-12-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 626192)
What makes you think that any significant number of these children had a parent from an English speaking country?

apparently all gaijin speak english

Rogozhin 11-14-2008 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graemephillips (Post 626187)
Everything I've heard suggests that the Anglo-Australian culture is in critical danger of disappearing and that Australia, like my mother's homeland of New Zealand, unfortunately is developing this attitude that British culture is the past and trendy East Asian cultures are the future. Parties like Pauline Hanson's One Nation exist because Asians are flooding in relentlessly.
It would be a travesty to see the Anglo-Saxon culture, which has given more to the world than any other culture, die out simply because people thought it was passé and that foreign cultures were funky and trendy.

There aren't really that many Asians in Australia, certainly not as many as you make it out to be (go 50km away from the cities and you'd be hard pressed to find any Asians about). You have a greater influx of Europeans who are bringing with them their culture but I hear nothing on them endangering the Anglo-Australian way of life.

StormingWynn 02-27-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niyusu (Post 554887)
One of every 30 babies born in Japan in 2006 had at least one parent originating from overseas, according to a recent government survey.

Around 19,000 of the babies had non-Japanese fathers, 26,000 had non-Japanese mothers and 9,000 had parents who were both from abroad, according to the survey.

North and South Korean nationals formed the largest group among non-Japanese fathers, followed by Chinese and Brazilians. Among the non-Japanese mothers, Chinese were the largest group, followed by women from the Philippines and North and South Korea.

More children born with a foreign parent | Japan Times

I'm also surprised by this statistic, but what surprised me the most are there numbers in bold. I would think they would be reversed. No?

Javen 01-17-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 558049)
But I`m not saying someone Thai/Cambodian could pass as Japanese. I`m saying that there is enough variety in Japanese features that a child with one Thai/Cambodian parent and one Japanese parent could - if they were raised in Japan.
Their appearance would no doubt fall within the darker end of the scale of normal - but still be normal for Japanese.

One of our family friends is half Cambodian. You`d never know it if he didn`t tell you... And there is one half Thai child and one half Filipino child in my son`s school. You`d also never know it if you weren`t told.

I think Asia as a whole has alot of variety with Korea being the only exception

and its quite a fallacy to think a halfie with a SEAsian parent is always going to be in the darker end of normal....